1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

newb question about system temp

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by naseltzer, Feb 19, 2006.

1. naseltzer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for a total asking a total noob question, but what is the "system temp?" is that the ambient temperature inside the case, or is that the northbridge temp? Something else? oh, also what is ACPI sensor temp?

Thanks for taking a moment to answer my question.

2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    well, to be honest with you, I dont even know what temp it represents! I'd BET it's the ambient temperature, but if you're OCing, play it safe and assume its the CPU temp. do you have a screenshot of whatever is telling you you're "system temp"?

3. G.T

G.T New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd say system temp usually indicates CPU temp or Motherboard temp depending what App or prog is giving it you. Or how you have your sensors wired.

On my Rig most things relating to System temp refer to my MOBO temp.

"also what is ACPI sensor temp?"

Google seems to think in general it is some form of temp gauge system or the like, not 100% sure on that one sorry.

4. naseltzer New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, speedfan gives me several temps: cpu, system, acpi, and HD.

I'm confident that the cpu temp is,in fact, the cpu, temp, i'm actually concerned about the temp of my northbridge. I got a zalman passive sink on it, but i think the contact is all screwed up because i had to slide it slightly in order to fit my 7800gt. speedfan still reads "system temp" as 33, which sounds fine, but thats why i want to know.

N

Thanks for answering everybody, btw

5. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    ohhh lol. I THINK that my NB fan speed would be fan speed 3...if there was a NB fan :p. I cant help you there, I'm sorry

6. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think system temp is the mobo chipset temp thow my monitor shows my cpu.. sys.. and pvm temps.. exactly where the last pair of sensors are i havnt the faintest idea.. or how hot they should run at.. as long they look cooler than the cpu i am happy.. he he

at the moment my sys temp reads 28c and my pvm shows 33c.. my cpu reads 36c.. i aint doing much only browsing..

trog

7. mmx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Usualy that MSI mobo reports incorrect temps, did you fixed it whit a bios update??

8. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    see i have it easy i have 2 temp sensors cpu diode and socket.....so i know exectly what temps my comp runs at though i dont know were the diode is isnt it in the core? i know my socket sensir is in the middle of my socket...as for ACPI i think that is a sensor on the mobo near the pci slot / AGP slot

9. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    My system temp is the ambient temperature inside my case. It is measured by the thermometer on my exhaust fan as the air exits the case.

10. naseltzer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I have (had) the latest bios update, but then again I'm sort of confused there because i can get bioses from either msi or from nvidia. I had both most recent revisions, but i installed the nvidia bios last. I really dont know if they write different parts of the bios, or if they're completely separate bioses.

wel, I dont think i'll buy an msi again. i got an asus a8n-e (refurbished by the egg) on the way. I wish some mobo makers are reading this thread. I would wish that they make clear temps like this:

1) cpu
    2) chipset
    3) ambient case temp (upper section of case)
    4) ambient case temp (lower section of case)

But no, that would be too much to ask. All we get is "system temp" which appears to mean something different on every motherboard. And ACPI, which nobody seems to know what it is.
    :banghead:

11. justinavril

justinavril New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an idea. Because I could not tolerant the noise of my Power fan, I changed it with a GT 8cm fan and connected the 3pin to the MB port. The port is right besides the CPU. Then the BIOS can control the fan speed by detecting temp of the port. And the port temp is the same as the sys temp detecting by Everest.

So I think the sys temp is just the temp surranding CPU.

12. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Yay, another thread risen from the afterlife.

13. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Yea...LMAO!!