1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Newb With one last question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kurtis, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Kurtis New Member

Thanks Received:
    I gave up on my intel board sold it and bought a brand new amd anthlon 64bit 3700 san d core and a elite group rs482-m. I only have a 20 pin power supply that I just bought for my last board and my new board requires a 24pin. Can I use one of those 20 to 24 pin convertors ?? Has anyone had anyproblems with those ??

2. noneed4me2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i would consider getting a better or newer PSU especially if you want to overclock. The newer system would probably perform better with a good PSU. At least 400w or better and don't skimp on quality as PSUs are really "you get what you pay for" type of hardware. Congrats on the new system.

3. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    20 pin works fine, you dont even need an adapter, as long as your psu can do it

4. Kurtis New Member

Thanks Received:
    well in my motherboard manual it says it has a slight chance of being able to run and if it did it would be unstable. Ive tried my 450w 20 pin psu and all it just keeps beeping with long pauses in between like it just keeps rebooting. I just purchased a 480w 24pin psu anyways so its all good.

5. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats more down to your old power supply not being up to the job than the pins thow.. mine did pretty much the same.. never got past the post stage..

trog

6. Kurtis New Member

Thanks Received:
    ya I was just wondering if I could save some money and still use my old one with one of those 20 to 24 pin adapters but I just went ahead and bought a new psu for 20 bucks good deal on a brand new super talent if you ask me.

Now I need suggestions on a new ati pcie , a sata hard drive , and some dual channel ram under a 300 dollar budget.

7. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:

It is completely dependent on how quality your psu really is.

My Antec 350w smart power 1.1 powered a winchester, x700 and a dfi lan party perfectly fine. with the 24 pin adaptor, and a pin mod.

If your pc wont boot with the adaptor, that psu is mostlikely not capable of handling the setup anyways.

so, yes. the adaptor works, BUT you have to have a quality psu.