1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Newbie attempting first build

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Saulsa, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Saulsa New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, I'm looking to spend around $550 for a budget gaming PC. I don't have a ton of experience so I'm looking for some help. I spent some time on the advice forum here and got some good ideas of what I should be looking for. (At least I think so? :) )

I was looking at this kit here. Once I get the rebate I would be able to afford a GPU. A lot of people seem to recommend the HD 7850, which seems good to me, I'm just unsure if it would fit that motherboard since it seems a little small.

Am I heading in the right direction or do I need to be put onto a different track?

Examples of games I'm looking to play:
    Farcry 3
    Starcraft 2: HOTS
    Borderlands 2

Thanks!

2. Exeodus

Exeodus

Thanks Received:
    What size monitor are wanting to game with?

3. xvi

xvi

Thanks Received:
    What you can fit on a motherboard doesn't really depend on the motherboard's size. The only thing that really matters (motherboard wise) is if there's anything tall enough behind the PCI-e slot to obstruct the video card, which it looks like there isn't.

As far as a video card, I'd give that integrated HD 7560 a shot. You won't be maxing out Crysis 3, but it shouldn't do too badly at low to medium settings.

Saulsa says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
  5. Saulsa New Member

Thanks Received:
    21" LCD with HDMI

I'll have to look up comparisons between the two and see what difference I would be looking at. Both in terms of performance and price. Since you suggested it, I would guess there's a decent performance jump?

Good to know, thanks. I'm was planning on using HDMI from the video card, but I could always just give the integrated a shot with DVI to HDMI.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  6. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    Size of monitor doesn't matter, I think people are asking what resolution. 1080p or 1050p or 768p?

It's better if you go with FX6300 since it only cost a little more than the 4000s and old phenom II. You'll be on the AM3+ platform which will extend to the next gen of chips also.

Give the integrated a try to see if you like it. I would guess you won't like it. If you buy AMD graphics card then you'll probably get FC3 for free. A 7850 is the sweet spot right now for price/performance and get the game you planned on playing.

Saulsa says thanks.
  7. lZKoce

lZKoce

Thanks Received:
    Where are you going to purcahse the parts? I mean, if you could trust us with the country you are now, would be a big help. Otherwise we can throw in suggestions you have no access to or are too expensive at your location.

8. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    The OP did provide a link to a bundle deal on tigerdirect, so I'd guess it's a safe bet they are in the states and plan on buying from TD, and newegg I'm sure is a option also.

Saulsa says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Saulsa New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would need to double check, but i'm pretty sure it's going to be 768.

Thank you for your input on the FX6300 as well.

US, Thanks.

10. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    IMHO, an Intel build will get you a better gaming system AND allow for future upgrades which will maximize your money. (I'm actually a fan of AMD)
    How about this:
    [​IMG]
    You'll need to setup an account with Newegg to use the following code:
    EMCXTWL72 will take another $10 off of the Hard Drive
    That makes it $612.57 with shipping before rebates of $40.
    Sorry that I'm over $550, but what a system.

Credit where credit's due:THG $500, $600

d1nky says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    the one above is good actually although I like the 6300 better. but anyways he might upgrade to a 3570k so it's all good.

for the gpu I recommend the sapphire hd 7850 the one with dual fan (I got one in my system that doesn't have OC on the name but it had dual x fans).

for the case it's good with nzxt source 210 If I recall right there is another one with the same model but with elite or something on the name for the tool less stuff. you might like it better so try to look around for it.

btw the msi coupon looks alluring ^_^ so you can go with it anyway the msi items.

everything else looks good. psu is good too. although in my opinion if he can afford it going at the 500-650w range just in case he plan to upgrade but if not then yeah that's good then. not sure about the mobo but I've only bought msi mobo's and only 3 asus mobo so can't say much about the others.

overall take what the dude above me showed in the pic. so long as you got the cash go for it ^_^

thebluebumblebee says thanks.
  12. Rowsol

Rowsol

Thanks Received:
  13. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    credit is due here for finding that out! :toast:

14. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Addendum:
    Cheaper case: RAIDMAX Blade ATX-298WR save $18 ($15 rebate)
    Different motherboard with free RAM: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 save $22.87. Very popular motherboard.

That gets you down to $533 after MIR's.

Edit: free shipping

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU