1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Newbie wanting to build

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by SL1DEmemphis, Jan 20, 2010.

1. SL1DEmemphis

SL1DEmemphis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello everyone!

I am interested in building my first homade gaming pc.
    I've done quite a bit of research, but since I am new I wanted to come and ask the experienced folks on the forums. I have used newegg.com to put it together a saved wishlist but I'll post what I threw together here.

Specs are as follows:
    1. AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
    2. ASUS Crosshair III Formula
    3. XCLIO Windtunnel Full Tower Case ( Was thinking about antec 1200, but this is cheaper)
    4. Thermaltake EVO_Blue W0307RU 650W modular
    5. OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    6. XFX HD-585A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5850
    7. Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA
    8. Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler + AM3 adapter
    9. Thermaltake A2018 120mm Blue LED Case Fan
    10. COOLER MASTER SGM-6000-KLLW1-GP Black 8 Buttons Wired Laser Mouse
    11. Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA
    12. Saitek PZ30AU USB Wired Standard Eclipse Blue Backlit Keyboard
    13. ZALMAN VF1000 2 Ball VGA Cooler
    $1,363.47

I basically used reviews to persuade me. I've spent hours and hours changing things.
    One thing I'm really not sure of is the PSU... is it enough power? I don't know how to tell.

Also, the CPU cooler also covers the memory. I have heard that it will be hard to change out the ram, is it worth it? Its supposed to be a beast of a cooler. Can I get full system water cooling instead and stay under $1400?

oh and I didn't add a monitor because I have a 26" 720p Vizio that I can use.

Comments, suggestions, and questions for me are all welcome. Thanks for reading. :rockout:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Get a better power supply and ditch the V10 for a Megahalems.

Corsair 650W would be a good choice.

SL1DEmemphis says thanks.
  3. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Even a 520 or a 550 would do teh job. But for future proofness, 650 is plenty.

But I'm with you on a cooler swap. Ordered a Megahalems myself. Its not een half the price of the V10 and most probably cools a lot better while taking up less space.

For the blue LED fan, I have some blue Zalman fans, they are pretty good and very silent.

4. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    The power supply you have is the weakest link in your build. Spend the extra there as a quality power supply is the heart of your system. The Corsair 620 is great, heck even the 550W would suffice well.

As for cooling you could consider the Corsair H5O at nearly the cost of the V10. I have a friend that put it in his i5 and keeps it at 20C idle.

5. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    As stated above, definitely change out the Power supply. Some recommend brands to go with include: Thermaltake, Corsair, OCZ, PC&C, Enermax.

The V10 is huge, and i can definitely see how it can be difficult to switch out the RAM. So i would personally pick up a different cooler.

6. SL1DEmemphis

SL1DEmemphis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Found a Thermaltake PSU that should do nicely, the Thermaltake EVO_Blue W0307RU 650W modular.

as for the megahalems, i see that it is not compatible with AM2/3 sockets, so I don't see how it would work with my setup?

7. codyjansen

codyjansen

Thanks Received:
    i recommend a different keyboard but everything else looks good

8. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Yes but there is a retention module for it. You know, a small kit that makes it compatible. And even with that kit its half the prive of the V10.

9. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    No harm in buying second hand. The build looks good after taking into account the suggestions about the PSU and the Mega.

Someone was selling that exact case on my local CL for $35 yesterday, unfortunately it already sold.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. SL1DEmemphis

SL1DEmemphis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the help folks. Looks like I have my build, though Im not sure where to get a adapter module for the megahalem for AM3. (found one!) :)

Also, would a VGA cooler be a good idea as well?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  11. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    No a VGA cooler is not necessary. I really was surprised upon the quietness of that stock 5850 cooler. And it does a good job at keeping the cards cool (and with that case you have in mind and its two side fans, yours gonna be even cooler). I was literally waiting for the noise, and I was perplex when it didn't appear:laugh: Really ATI finally did a good job on a stock cooler. Compared to the one from the 4890s (imagine a fleet of fighter jets testing their engines outside your house), its heaven.

12. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    welcome to TPU
    i don't know if you have it already or not but i see INTEL system now looks more efficient , an P55 with core i7 cpu will be same price but sure better performance
    other thing i see if you can spend more money for replace 5850 by 5870

at last if your built is also nice and high performance so i post just some suggestions