1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Newegg caught!

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Prime, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Sales can go away if the sale expires before you buy it. That's like saying, "You had this product on sale last week, but I forgot to buy it when it was on sale. Can I have it for the sale price?" NewEgg has no obligation to give you a sale price because you didn't buy it before the sale ended. I don't see any wrongdoing here, minus a user who doesn't understand how retail works. Sounds like a learning experience to me. Ignorance is not bliss in this case.

95Viper says thanks.
  2. Prime

Thanks Received:
    The fans were NOT on sale. They went up in price THEN on "sale". This is pretty astonishing that only a few people agree with my disappointment.

Bait and switch, seedy marketing, raw deal. Whatever. You don't have to take my vocabulary verbatim.

I just wanted to bring this up to the community, who are all computer enthusiasts like myself, to be careful the next time you think newegg is giving you a great coupon code.

3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't pass out next time.

95Viper and Aquinus say thanks.
  4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I think you're pandering to the wrong crowd. I buy hardware based on what I need, overall reviews and final price, not what is on sale. I don't know about you, but my local grocery store does the same thing, I honestly think you need to take a step back, take a deep breath, and realize that the world isn't really as cruel as you think it is.

5. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    cause we know the reality of the world and what is fair?

Damn thats harsh. I'm sorry the big bad company practiced something perfectly legal and you are going to pay the same price you were willing to before. It must be hard to be you.

Aquinus says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  6. driver66

driver66 New Member

Thanks Received:
    so let me get this straight......... the fans were as an example ; $9.00 Sunday night on sale... Newegg went out of stock and raised the price 15% to $10.35... then gave a 15% coupon making the price $9.00......... I fail to see a problem?

Aquinus says thanks.
  7. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    All this stress over a buck or two......yeesh.

8. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I think your math is a little off here. If a $100 item goes up 15%, it becomes $115. Take 15% off of $115 and you're at $97.75. ;)

Maban says thanks.
  9. washd123

washd123 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ...are you serious?

they gave you a coupon for 15% off ALL fans, it's not even as if they gave you 15% off just that fan and raised the price.

even that isn't anything, it happens all the time, you did this on a sunday you know the end of the week when everything changes

you didn't catch them with anything

Also I checked you said they raised the price of ALL fans as if it made a difference, they didn't a fan I bought last week is the same price

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  10. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    I was wondering when someone was going to mention that.

11. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I don't know how you shop, but I compare prices across all major and minor vendors to find the best deal on any item I want to buy.

12. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Well if you didn't start the thread with some bullshit title and come off sounding like you were entitled to, and it was your birth-given right to be handed, great deals on purchases, I'd be less of an asshole. You were in the middle of checking out and you passed out, but when you woke up and decided to check out but noticed that the price was THE SAME YOU WERE GOING TO PAY ANYWAY with the exception of having to enter a coupon, you get pissy? I'm sorry, it's obvious I'm the asshole. I'll be on my way now.

n-ster says thanks.
  13. Munki

Munki

Thanks Received:
    There is no reason to continue on with this. I don't know the whole situation, so I can't speak on it with 100% authenticity. However, I do know that flaming someone over something like this is childish. Last time I checked there were no children here so stop acting like a bunch of children. Sorry for attempting to stop you all's fun, but this is ridiculous.

14. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    Its not uncommon. I have my entire Amazon list filled with items I watch then note the lowest price so I don't forget later and buy on a price hike. Egg is the same, prices go up and down a lot. I've seen them increase on sales too. Last items I bought at Egg were my Samsung RAM because they were the only place that seemed to have it at a decent price. Paid full price one week, then the next week they gave a 15% off all RAM, got the rest of it for discount. Little po'ed I lost $8-$10 on it but it was still a good price to begin with.

That is one area I notice they don't raise prices before sales. When they give broad coupon codes for all items under one heading. If they give codes for specific brands, then be cautious.

15. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    I guess having less...flexible prices have its perks. :p

16. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been a loyal customer of NewEgg for 7+ years and must say that they have always treated me right:)
    Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    Newegg is a business like any other. I'm sorry you felt like you got burned on a sale from them. I've been ordering parts from Newegg for a very long time and have always felt like I got everything I could ask for. Good pricing, fast shipping (most of the time) and excellent customer service.

They're not perfect by any means, but they're more than good enough to earn my repeat business. Almost exclusively.

18. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think everyone's had a chance to express their opionions. Let's move on.

Chicken Patty, Aquinus and Maban say thanks.