1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[US] Newegg: Crucial M500 240GB SSD - $120 - Free Shipping

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by newtekie1, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I had to order one. And its still going and its past noon

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    I was unable to get the software today due to a snowstorm, but I did get in and install the SSD. It hooked up fine and dandy. Currently I have the WD Green hooked up as normal, and the SSD hooked up with power and SATA into the MoBo. It installed the driver software but is not showing up under My Computer. Do I need to go into BIOS and 'detect' it or something?

3. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    You still have the old HDD still in place? I'm not understanding. If you are just wanting to see it, then you can go into disk management under administrative tools, in System and Security in the control panel. Then you would need to format it. Once done, it will appear. Then, when you are ready, you need to have your SSD be the only drive attached when you are ready to install OS. It will need to be hooked up to SATA port 0 or 1.

jed says thanks.
  4. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    Yes. I didn't have the OS software to actually do the whole process, so I just mounted the SSD and plugged it in. Figured it would show up but it didn't. That's what I was asking.

I just went into disk management and it asked me if I wanted to intitialize it with MBR or GPT. Should I choose to format it with GPT? Or is this something I need to do right before I unmount the HDD and prep to install the OS onto SSD?

5. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Yes, you should do it beforehand, but you don't have to. When you install it will ask to format also, if it's not already. You said you're running W7, right? Since it's only 240GB, you can format it either MBR (the old way, which sees a maximum of 2TB, I believe), or GPT. Windows 8 series will automatically want to format GPT, unless you tell it otherwise. But if you want to format it now, to see if you have a dead SSD, you CAN. The fact that disk management did see it and asked about formatting means it's very likely ok. If there are bad sectors, formatting will reveal that if there are too many.

Once OS is installed (which will be fairly quick on SSD), you can rehook the HDD and point all the libraries to the data you put on the HDD.

jed says thanks.
  6. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    Well. I've done something royally wrong, it seems. I have managed to get my SSD up and running with Win 7 and drivers, etc. Everything is dandy with just the SSD plugged in.

Here's the issue. I got a spare HDD from my dad, a 1 TB Cuda 7400. I transfered everything I wanted from my HDD (WD Green 1 TB) onto the Cuda. The Green goes back to dad and I get to keep the Cuda. When I plug the Cuda into the MoBo, the boot screen boots up to where Windows begins to 'assemble' the flag icon, then it forces a reboot. If I switch the cables around it says 'MISSING BOOTMGR'. Now I'm lost. I got the SSD up and running, but now can't connect my Data HDD to the system, as Windows refuses to load up. Any ideas?

7. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    Also, I forgot to change the mode to AHCI before installing. Now, if I change it to AHCI, Windows won't boot up either. It seems to be stuck in Native IDE mode. Could this be the problem? Do I need to format and re-install Windows under AHCI mode?

EDIT: I did the registry tweak and am now running in AHCI mode. I have a feeling this won't fix my problem but I'll try tomorrow after work. I''ve had enough for tonight so it's time for bed.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  8. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    When Installing a windows 7 on a new drive. Disconnect all other drives or Windows puts the boot sector on the second drive. If that's when you did you can do a repair with your windows disk but I would just start over. Set the BIOS to AHCI or Raid first. And if the windows installs the set up it will partition the disk GPT. Which is correct. UEFI BIOS will not work on a MBR partition. This does not mean it will not work on a MBR partition. It will just use the latency BIOS

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    jed says thanks.
  9. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Jet, but I did have everything disconnected. I transfered my data from 1 HDD to another, then disconnected them both. The only one hooked up was the SSD when I installed Windows. I am currently running off it now and everything is working great. It's just when I plug in that data HDD that everything goes to hell for some reason.

Also, I had formatted the drive via Windows in GPT mode before anything, so it was formatted correctly beforehand.

I should be sleeping (>-_-<)

Jetster says thanks.
  10. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
  11. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Jed....does that HDD by chance have an OS on it? Also, can you co in the BIOS and make your SSD first on the boot list?

12. jed

jed

Thanks Received:

Hey mate. Dad said no OS on it, just a pure data drive. When I had both drives connected, I went into the boot menu and selected the Crucial SSD as primary boot. It still gave the same issues. Are you saying there's an option somewhere inside the BIOS that I need to switch?

13. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    I'm scratching my head, Jed. Unfortunately, I'm fairly busy at work so I can't give the attention it deserves at this moment. But I will get back to you. Frankly, I hope a few more members stop by and give a hand too. When you say "into the boot menu", do you mean in BIOS, or in Windows?, or just the pre-windows menu?

14. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    I mean I press F12 upon startup to go into "Boot Menu" ( I think it's called ) and select to run from the Crucial.

15. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    That was strange. I got home from work and decided to hook it up and double check BIOS. I hooked it up, went into BIOS, and double checked. SSD was primary boot (0) while HDD was secondary (1) and both in the correct slots. Save it anyways and boot up, and viola, works like a dream. The only difference was the initial chunk of Windows Updates from last night. Could that have been it?