1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Newegg - Do you check your returned items at all?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kantastic, May 13, 2010.

1. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I bought CoolIT ECO A.L.C. from Newegg because my Mini P180 is very limited in space and my Iceage 120 Boss II made switching out hardware a pain in the ass (and my hands, cut myself twice). I was going to buy either the H50 or ECO, whichever I could find for a better price and Newegg had the ECO for $83 shipped w/ a $20 rebate.

I ordered it on Saturday and it came Wednesday, so shipping/delivery was on time. I took apart my system to put back the motherboard's stock backplate, removed the rear fan, and then proceeded to install the ECO.

However, right out of the shipping box I noticed that the ECO's retail box was NOT shrink wrapped like the one I bought from Directron a while ago, and the corners of the box were dented. I took the unit out and noticed that the AM2 mounting hardware was not stuck together (very hard to describe) & was not wrapped in plastic like the one from Directron. The installation guide (one sheet of paper) was slightly wrinkled & had a tiny spec of red on it, something like ketchup. By now I was very skeptical, and not surprisingly I took the ECO out of the its Styrofoam housing and BAM the radiator had a ton of bent fins.

Granted, Newegg gave me an RMA # and a shipping label to send back the piece of junk for a refund, but what the hell? Do they even check the hardware before approving an RMA? Or did they ship me a used unit hoping I have down syndrome?

2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I believe every online seller makes mistakes and atleast there fixing it it.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    my guess is either hoping you have down syndrome or just an honest mistake by an overworked order picker:confused:

4. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I love Newegg & all, but this is ridiculous. The only reason they didn't realize the ECO was so banged up was that they didn't even open the damn box when they received it back. That or the person inspecting the unit was blind.

I don't get it though, isn't it standard protocol to check RMA items? It probably was returned by some jackass who claimed it was 'never opened', but the box corners were dented and it was so blatantly obvious that the unit was previously opened (the flap/tab thingy was sticking out a bit) that it should have never made it back to their shelves along with the actual brand new units.

5. xrealm20

xrealm20 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed -- I've had very few problems with newegg -- and when there's been a mess up, they've always been great about getting the error resolved.

Only issue I have recently is that their prices seem to be higher than a lot of brick and mortar stores here in houston.

6. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    You should change your sig quote.

I kid, I kid!

Newegg will take care of you. Mistakes happen.

7. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree that Newegg does ship some questionable items sometimes, but considering their volume, they have a pretty good track record. They check returns for "functionality", not aesthetics. I bought an open box Mobo that was $40.00 cheaper that new, only to find that the 2nd PCI-E traces were destroyed. I was going to RMA it, but it only cost me $51.00 and it was rock solid except for the 2nd PCI-E slot. I understand your anger expecting something new and receiving an open box instead. hang in there an endure the RMA process. Hopefully everything works out with the replacement. Nobody's perfect, but Newegg is still the best overall.

8. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I am leaning towards an over worked individual who is working for them .. it happens...Hey just be glad its newegg that your dealing with or you could have been even more disappointed.;)

9. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

DRDNA says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Newegg sells their RMA'd items as Open Box items. So if you bought a retail version and not an Open Box, then more than likely it was a simple mistake. Either the returned item got put in the wrong place and shipped back out as retail, or someone just grabbed the wrong one off the shelf when packing your order.

You definitely take chances like this with open box items. I had a similar experience with a P5N32 board. Though in my case the second pair of RAM slots didn't work. I simply RMA'd it through ASUS for a brand new board.

Newegg will make things right, sometimes better than right(e.g. they've given me store credit twice in the past because of their mistakes).

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  11. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    This would make sense if I bought a recertified, open box, or refurbished item. I paid retail price for that thing expecting a retail product. Color stains on the manual (which is a single sheet of paper so if they even checked it would have been impossible to miss), signs of wear and tear on the packaging, no shrink wrapping, and half a row of bent fins on the radiator that weren't even black anymore? Really? >_>

ANYBODY who went as far as to open the package would have seen the damaged radiator.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  12. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    i got some of those lcd picture frames for are moms from newegg i still havent sent them out but im ??? they seek open box or like a referbished cuz the boxes look like they been around the block a few times

like some of the things it came with sees like someone put them back in after opening it

it has two stickers on the tab you open to open the side makes me think there where returned and sold as new

13. roast

roast

Thanks Received:
    I wouldnt worry about it too much. Mistakes happen. Just be happy they're getting it sorted for you. :)

14. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I do not order anything off the "open box" shelf over at newegg. Most of it are just returns from prior customers. They look at it for 2 seconds before listing it as a restock and selling it to someone that will return it again for the same reason.

Read the reviews under the item labled "open box" and the comments will probably leave a trail to what's in your basket.

15. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    FTFY

That is what open box is, customer returns. I don't really have a problem ordering them, because I know what to expect, and know how to deal with missing parts. I like saving the money.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU