1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Newegg starts selling Palits!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by ShadowFold, Feb 21, 2008.

1. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Well i get the case that you like Palit as do i, well i have the xpertvison (a sub of Palit basically owned by Palit) 8800gt and tbh its the best card i bought yet, it has GOLD COOLING NOT ORANGE!!! Its cool fast and not noisy one of the best 8800gt out there FACT!

EVERYONE should buy Palit because if Palit can make a card that is cheap but performs that well possibly better than top makers like XFX then why cant those manufacturers make a top card for so cheap! Just tell your friends to by Palit because if you buy Palit i buy Palit then the world is a better place, why spend more when there are company like Palit who are just as good if not better.
  2. divinebaboon

divinebaboon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Question for the Palit Guy,are there significant performance difference between the coolers on these two cards?they look pretty much teh same except the base of the sonic version looks a bit different.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also,how come there's another sonic version?is that drastically different from the sonic version above?
    [​IMG]
  3. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    The dual slot cooler looks bad ass. I wish I had 210$ right now :( I gotta get a intel mobo first tho, I got a E2200 sla8x just gathering dust :(
  4. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    The plate you see at the bottom is for the memory heat sinks.

The back looks like this.

Attached Files:

5. divinebaboon

divinebaboon New Member

Thanks Received:
    oy,so the normal version's memory isn't cooled?:(
  6. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't look like it, but memory doesn't really need to be cooled.
  7. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    GJSNEPTUNEFREEGPU

Er, maybe something like...yeah, TPU200OFF... :rockout:

I'll be upgrading to a board with PCI-E 2.0. How about a Palit trade-in program? Sapphire x1950Pro for a free shiny new ATI?
  8. Palit_Guy

Palit_Guy Palit Representative

Thanks Received:
    The heatsink material is the same, just a color change.

The 9600GT Sonic is a special edition for North America. It's double height for two reasons. 1. it has the typical giant Palit heatsink and 2. it has two dual-link DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort outputs on the back. The heatsink has thin fins and a heatpipe so it got covered with the shell you see.

Just as a bragging point- this is the first card in the world to have all those connectors on one card. So a year from now when you can get the LCD that has DisplayPort you'll be glad you went Palit.

;)
  9. Palit_Guy

Thanks Received:
    Correct, regular version doesn't have memory cooling.
  10. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you'll be offering a Newegg coupon that applies to the 9600GT, it better knock the price down below $185 shipped. The eVGA and BFG 9600GTs 512MB are $179.99 with about $5 shipping.
  11. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Those are with Nvidia stock cooling, and you don't have the extra outs

[​IMG]

Plus you even get a free hit game with the PALiT card.
  12. Palit_Guy

Thanks Received:
    FREEGPU huh? You get an A for effort.

A trade-in program. The problem I have with trade-in programs is that the consumer gets screwed. You either get a credit for your old card or (eVGA) you get the purchase price of your first card (not including shipping but including any rebates) You then pay the MSRP for the new card minus the credit.

So let's say I buy an 8600GT 512 from NewEgg for $99.99 (that's the price after the rebate). Then I decide to trade that in towards an 8800GT 512 (only within 90 days). So I pay eVGA the difference between $279.99 (the price for that card in their program http://evga.com/products/prodlist.asp ) and $99.99 which is $180. Good deal right?

Shipping from NewEgg is $6.33. Shipping from eVGA is bound to be a little more since they don't ship as much as NewEgg so let's figure $10 (I think that's being generous). So the total amount of money I've spent so far is $99.99+$180+$6.33+$10= $296.32.

So now to get your 8800GT you paid $296.32. You could have bought the card on NewEgg for $227.99 (after rebate) so you just lost $68.33.

What if you put your card on eBay (that can't be any more difficult than going through their process for trading up). It's less than 90 days old so you should be able to get closer to $99.99 than $68.33 for it. Or you could sell it to a friend. Since the card actually sells for $129.99 you might even get lucky and get MORE than $99.99 for it. If that happened you would actually SAVE money.

The point is, all video card companies are out to make money. We're businesses. So a trade-in program has to work out in favor of the manufacturer.

One of the things we're trying to do at Palit is help people make a better decision in the first place so they don't have to trade their card in OR sell it on eBay. It saves all of us a lot of heartache.

There's another couple of threads here in TPU where I've been discussing benchmarks, what they mean and how to use them to ACCURATELY describe how a given card will perform in a game. The whole reason behind doing that is to avoid any customer getting their new card into their PC, firing up their game and thinking- crap this doesn't do any better. We simply don't want you to have a card that doesn't do what you want it to do.
    Nick89 says thanks.
  13. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a question for the Palit_Guy. Will you guys have ATi HD 4000 series stuff by xmas in the US?
  14. divinebaboon

divinebaboon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Another question:Why do you guys only put 1 DVI port on the normal version?All other 9600GTs have two. And how is the manufacturer warranty on the card?
  15. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    ATi hasn't named thier upcoming graphics cards yet. We only know it as R700 from unofficial leaks.
  16. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    Everything I say is in jest. I'm kidding about the trade-in stuff. I forget to put a smiley thing.

What game do you get?
  17. Palit_Guy

Thanks Received:
    This is the same reason we don't do a lifetime warranty. Just like the trade-in program it's a bunch of marketing crap that doesn't help you, the person that bought the card.

Let's say six years ago you bought a Palit card and it went bad today. That puts you outside of the warranty period so you buy a new card. But if it had a lifetime warranty we would have to replace/repair it. No one is going to repair that card, they're going to replace it.

But that six year old card is an AGP since PCI-e hadn't been invented yet. I'll give you three guesses at how many AGP cards we carry right now and the first two don't count.

Yup! ZERO.

So now I will exercise my option to replace your card with another card of equal or greater value. Well, performance is a factor in value (I did say value and not price) so if I look at my currently available cards to see what would compare to your six year old card I'm thinking something along the lines of an 8500GT.

Now picture yourself, replacement card in hand, as you see you just got a major upgrade for free. Now picture yourself buying a whole new computer because you can't push hard enough to get that PCI-e card into your AGP slot.

So what did that lifetime warranty do for you?

But wait! It gets even funnier. There is one company that actually has a DOUBLE lifetime warranty. So it is possible (I'll give you unlikely) that I could buy a card in 2000, retire it to my file server in 2005 and there it sits for 20 years. I pass that down to my son who keeps it for another 20 years before it finally dies. Who is going to RMA that card?

I have some 6 year old cards sitting around the shop. No idea if they work but I can't imagine trying one out and then sending it in when it didn't work. That is ridiculous.

And I think the idea of telling someone that we will replace your card for the rest of your life is st00pid. I also think that, if people actually used the warranty it would drive that company out of business.

Think about that. No card is supposed to live that long. I can't imagine a card still working after ten years. So if even half of the people returned their cards after they died how could a company replace them all even by using a currently available low-end card? No one expects people to return them.

That sounds surprisingly similar to the way mail in rebates work doesn't it? Sure, we'll give you $50 off but we're going to make the process of getting that money so difficult that most people either don't do it at all or give up along the way.
    Kursah says thanks.
  18. Palit_Guy

Thanks Received:
    Ya, obviously not going to comment on unreleased product.
  19. Palit_Guy

Thanks Received:
    Product differentiation. You're going to see a ton of these in the market. From a business standpoint we're building what we think will sell the best without trying to cover every possible option of every card.

We also want to leave SOME parts for the other guys to sell lest we take over the world and get sued for being a monopoly.
  20. DaMulta

Thanks Received:
    Palit_Guy I remember you talking about colors and products a few weeks ago. Just for a suggestion, when they release cool cards like the yellow 9600GT. I personally think it would be awesome to see the PCB in the same color as it's cooler is. Yellow on Yellow would of been very cool.

I'm also down for Frog Action Figures!!!
  21. Duffman

Duffman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Very cool. I've been looking at palit as their stuff seems top notch. I wasn't aware of them 'till i came here. Seeing people liek DaMulta with them makes me wish i had known about them before i picked up my cards.

I think they're one of the few companies that make both Nvidia and ATi cards. Does anyone know of any others?
  22. Grings

Grings New Member

Thanks Received:
    A question for the palit dude...

When the next top end (single chip) nvidia card comes out, will there be non-reference designs available, or, as i suspect, does nvidia not allow this? (the reason i suspect this is there were never any non reference g80's (gts, gtx and ultra), yet there are non reference designs of the g92's and midrange cards
  23. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well yea lol sorry, let me restate it. Will you guys still be supporting ATi by xmas?
  24. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS, I think powercolor used to make nvidia maybe another ATi brand.. ehh thats all I can think of atm so yea not many do make both brands unless there big
  25. Palit_Guy

Thanks Received:
    We support ATI now.
    ShadowFold says thanks.