1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[EU] Newegg Will Open For Business in the EU Next Month

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by newtekie1, Feb 24, 2014.

1. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    “We have great news for our friends across the pond. Starting next month, Newegg will be open for business in European markets – including the United Kingdom.

With over 25 million registered users and 8.5 million email subscribers, we feel the time is right to expand our customer base overseas. We’re soft-launching at the end of March and will provide more details as the date approaches. We look forward to bringing the same great prices, fast shipping, and excellent customer service to our European friends.”

Seems Awesome.

http://blog.newegg.com/never-mind-the-bollocks-heres-newegg/

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  2. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    Will they also be bringing their ridiculous AMD prices across the pond? :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    wish they will open to asian market as well :rockout:

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    O please stop already....

Death of Overclockers.co.uk ?. I hope they do as well as they do here.

RCoon, AlienIsGOD and Jetster say thanks.
  5. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Note that we will see European prices for HW, because they will have higher operating costs here (longer warranty periods, higher energy costs) and because consumers will pay actual VAT.

Oh, they also may kill the smaller players like Azerty, MNM computers and Mycom. The recession and the small margins already have bankrupted several good stores here (although Salland could reboot). So I am not sure how good this news is.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. krusha03

krusha03

Thanks Received:
    The blog post is not there anymore... Was it a hoax?

7. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    It's a little early for April Fool's... Perhaps one of the employees has said too much? Either way, if they do come to Europe, the prices will stay the same, numerically, only the $ sign will turn into the € sign.

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  8. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Interesting, though pricing will be a big factor. Maybe they have bought an EU etailer will just change the name? They will of course have huge costs just setting up business, transporting all the stock over before they can even begin to sell anything. Buying an already established e-tailer seems more probable.

9. krusha03

krusha03

Thanks Received:
    Well it would be nice to have one retailer that ships throughout EU, have nice deals and competitive prices. For example i have seen it many times components being cheaper in Germany than in Netherlands but of course the companies either do not ship it here or have DHL shipping which is like + 50 euros. Amazon de and uk have shipping to here but prices and the array of products are not that interesting (for PC components at least). The closest i could think of EU equivalent to Newegg is Pixmania.

10. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Caseking asks less than a tenner to ship to NL unless it is a heavy parcel.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. RCoon

RCoon Gaming Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm curious about the rest of the EU. Can any members here tell me how many strong etailers you have for computer hardware in your countries? Over here we have almost a dozen incredibly competitive etailers that keep pricing somewhat legitimate and never ending sales, so it's easy enough to find a nice bargain. I'd like to know if it's a similar story elsewhere, as I think Newegg are going to have a hard job on their hands to sway customers from our already well founded online stores.

the54thvoid says thanks.
  12. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, Newegg only seem cheaper as they don't add tax on to their store prices. I believe in the US you pay a state tax (which varies?). If you add the 20% VAT and 12% import(?) charges the prices start looking like UK prices. I don't see them having a huge impact. I'd love to be wrong.

13. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Yeah we don't exactly need more stores.

And with the likes of Pixmania and Proshop (both stretch over many countries, have good prices but terrible websites) I don't really see the point of a EU-wide store either. The logistics will be terrible, and they still need localized tech support to be any good.

In short: I don't see the point really.

Chevalr1c and RCoon say thanks.
  14. MustSeeMelons

Thanks Received:
    Well, where I live we have just one specialized PC hardware online store. It's a small market, but I'm interested what there prices & shipping would be. But to be honest, I not very keen on spending 300-400€ on hardware and then waiting, when it will arrive and in what condition. The price difference would need to be noticeable for me to even think of ordering.

RCoon says thanks.
  15. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well it will be harder as there are many more languages to cover by default i just hope it's not some tech support who only speaks 10% of the required area were the call came from.. And not like talking to MS support which feels like most of the time it's some guy who could bearly fill out the english application.

It was bad enough 10 years ago before i moved from the UK would hate to experience that it got worse.

And the point is Newegg go far out of there way to make you happy and if they can transfer that support to the UE\UK it should do hell well.

Getting the trust is going be a major 1st step and hope they do not screw it up as if i move back to the UK i know were i would like to shop.

16. c12038

Thanks Received:
    Where are they importing from to pay 12% import TAX to the UK....