1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NEWS management suggestion

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by lemonadesoda, Dec 4, 2007.

?

Multiple select poll; what features should we have in NEWS

1. Two news sections; "real news", and "spin/marketing propaganda"

18.2%
  2. Request for news posters to "up" the tech-content quality of news postings

27.3%
  3. [move to spin] button

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Rating buttons [Quality news] or [spin]

90.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So where is the option in the voting for ....Leave it like it is?

Ravenas says thanks.
  2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i'm not sure what the big issue is, read the headline, dont like?, scroll down to next

3991vhtes, Ravenas and Namslas90 say thanks.
  3. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    +1 to both

4. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Yes thats right. You CHOOSE to read news you dont have to read TPU, you can read some other place if you do not like. If it was that bad, W1z would have changed it himself, so stop whining you pussies. :)

Frogger says thanks.
  5. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You still, 'started yesterday'.

All news agency's have "dry periods" where there is no new news. thus "spin" was invented.

I think TPU is comming along just fine.

Lots of members here "actively contribute", without the "investigation and management"...because they are not assigned investigators and managers by the administrator.

I never siad "take a hike" I said "read the news elsewhere".
    What "problems" most of us don't see this problem you see.

Yes this entire arguement - "pathetic".

No offense , but I don't see any issues important enough to start all this over. It's not that big a deal. Every site has it's share of SPIN, SPAM, Fanboyism, ETC. We live in a reader beware world and you have to take it as that. People are people and TPU is full of people, just like the rest of the World Wide Web.

:toast:

Ravenas says thanks.
  6. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Why, what a personal tirade! Just go back to the OP. It's a poll in GN asking about views on news. Perhaps not particulary well written, but I haven't entered your house and forced you to do anything. What a performance!

7. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    ...Right. Now that that's over with, are you going to do as I asked and let me know what stories you think are good and which ones you think are "spin"? Because otherwise, none of us have any idea what you're talking about...

Namslas90 says thanks.
  8. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    He is never going to have a defiant opinion on what "real news" is and what "spin" is. He has a functional fixedness in relation to what news he considers real. His basis on what is real and what is spin is quite biased, and that's why I said he has a functional fixedness. The following links (cites) with his posts will explain why:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=45815
    http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=46088
    Notice in this link, that is pertaining to the Xbox (the competitor of Sony) lemonade speaks nothing about spin. This news article is also the same type of news...

The two problems I'm going to cite are:
    (A). Confirmation bias
    (B). Functional fixedness

That's my two cents, again.

EDIT: I don't understand the problem...If you don't like what you're reading, don't read it. You think I read every article in the newspaper?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  9. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    LOL. Kettle calling pot black, eh, Ravenas.

Have you turned into the resident TPU quack? LOL. Before you start throwing terms around that you dont understand, at least learn to spell "definitive opinion" and not "defiant"! ROTFL

Seems to be that you've got ODD because you're matching all the DSM-IV-TR criteria!

Take some WISE WORDS from the knowledgeable W1zzard. If you dont like an OP, "scroll down and move on".

@zek, I'm not here to start researching the archives of TPU news. I made an observation. Responded and made a post in GN. This is not a legal case, I am not identifying parties as being "guilty" or "innocent". If you'd asked a question like "have you got any suggestions about how we could define 'real' vs. 'spin' because in some cases its pretty hard to decide" then that would have been, IMO, smarter approach than saying "no, I dont like your opinion, my opinion rules, prove me wrong by dragging up all the articles, and then i'd just say no i dont agree anyway with your examples". Getting us nowhere fast.

10. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    zek... can you mod the poll and add this?

Ravenas says thanks.
  11. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    (copied right out of my notes from last year)
    DSM-IV classification
    • The current edition of the DSM, DSM-IV-TR, provides information about a person’s overall functioning, not just a diagnosis. People may receive diagnoses for clinical syndromes or personality disorders, or a combination of the two.
    • The classification system:
    o Clinical syndromes
    o Personality disorders
    o General medical conditions
    o Psychosocial and environmental problems
    o Global assessment of functioning

Funny because the two things I cited have nothing to do with the DSM (also known as the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual). Completely different section of Psychology btw, I'm sure you didn't know that, but then I'm sure you Googled something. :D

12. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    This thread is producing nothing useful. Therefore if you do not like a posted story please send a PM to the poster or Malware containing a detailed explanation of what you do not like.