1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

News should be News

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by CStylen, Jul 18, 2008.

1. CStylen

CStylen New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thoroughly enjoy these forums, but lately most of the headlines have inlcuded opinions or speculations, or were entirely opinions.

In my unprofessional opinion, it should be the forum members which discuss opinions rather than the reporters.

If I need to dig up examples I will, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.
  2. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The tech world on the internet thrives on speculation. It generates lively discussions and heated debates. I, for one, do not mind speculative news as long as it's not just pure rumor with nothing to back it up.
    The staff at TPU are very good about posting their sources to the info so you can make your own informed decision.

Just my 2 cents. :toast:
  3. CStylen

CStylen New Member

Thanks Received:
    Rumor and even specualtive news is ok... It's just when the reporter throws their two cents in the headline that kind of erks me.
  4. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 on that :rolleyes:
  5. Guru Janitor

Guru Janitor New Member

Thanks Received:
    I 100% agree with you. It's been happening on here, not a lot, but I've been noticing. I know I haven't posted here, but I've been around lurking for a while now (lol april). I may not be one to talk since I hardly ever post, but it does seem to be happening more frequently. I believe the reporters should save their opinions, that are just what they believe, for later on in the thread. After the conversations and debates have started, not in the actual report.

Cheers :toast:
  6. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    if the news media didnt give there opions on a mater, the news would be farily boring, a few fact sheets, it would be like watching C-SPAN
  7. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    When a person knows about something on the nature and is reporting about it, then it's probably the best type of news reporter out there.. You get people like Fox news where they go out and bash video games and their developers because they don't know whats what... Then you have others like Billy O'Rily that just don't give two craps about how anyone else feels but his own... He'll twist the Dictionary so bad that you won't even know if the word You means anymore...
    One of the reasons that I started even posting in TPU is the fact that we have News done by people that know what they are reporting about. With out that, Candle is right. It would be C-Span but in Text...
  8. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, with as many news poster's as we've gone through in the past year; I realy dont care, I'm just glad for the news. Any news is better than no news, IMHO its all oponiated anyways, wether its on TV or on a forum...you gota learn to filter the BS.
  9. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    or watch C-SPAN
  10. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm glad someone else has noticed that as well. TPU has always been different than everyone else because of the lack of bias. It's all put out in front of you for you to make your own conclusions, not shoved down your throat in some smart headline (engadget :shadedshu). It's not even relatively close to being that bad, but it's starting to happen.
  11. Megasty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ouch...

Reporters have the ability to find news when it happens & as it happens. They report it but they are not robots.
    They are entitled to their opinions as much as we are. It is as true for the big stations as it is for this forum.
    Reporters with no emotions are boring as hell, i.e. C-SPAN :D
  12. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Im with the op on this one just cus media reporters do it doesnt mean TPU news ppl should if it means less news articles so be it.
  13. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    turn on CNN or some other news channel they also cover some of the rumors... I don't know, but I guess that keeps people more informed, thus qualifies as news
    feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong
  14. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I actually kind of like it, a little personality in the news reports...this isn't a strict "by the book establishment" part of why I have been a part of TPU for a while now and a viewer for even longer. Really I love the way the news is done, and sure not all of their opinions agree with me, which is also good...it shows that the TPU's news reporters aren't afraid to say what they feel about the topic of news they happen to be posting...good, bad, excited, bummed, indifferent, etc..

There are plenty of News establishments that produce headlines and reports with little-to-no-personality/two-cents, and I'm glad TPU isn't part of that herd!

EDIT: In reality, speculation drives at least 50% of all PC news I've ever read for many years...from possible hacks, new hardware, software requirements, DX revisions, game releases, you name it...and really the PC industry thrives off of PC speculation...really there'd be so much less to read if there was NO speculation. Sure it gets old in some areas, so guess what I do? I SCROLL OVER IT, don't read it, don't care, move on, find someone to help in the forums, find something new to learn, go GAME on my GAMING rig. But that's just what I do, I don't feel it's a problem but more of a trend that's been around longer than many have been paying attention...it adds to selling gimicks, pretense of product release, possible sales/stock increase, and much, much more! Like I said though, it doesn't matter what it is, speculation or fact, if it's not interesting, it doesn't get read by me at least. :D

:toast:
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  15. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
  16. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Yeah thats all very well and good but the rumours that have been flying around recently is not good all it does is get ppls hopes up when alot of times there not true.
  17. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    partially agreed . . . but don't forget, either, that a lot of the big manufacturers (not going to drop any red, yellow, orange, green, blue, indigo, or violet names) have a habit of "leaking" preliminary specifications of upcoming products . . . simply to "stir the pot" and encourage speculation, which encourages anticipation, which encourages potential buyers

these companies also love to practice bumping their release dates back a little bit, wanting to drive up anticipation even more.

I mean, just for example the latest GPU series releases from ATi and nVidia - both companies were "leaking" specs LOOOONNNGGGG before anything was finalized. We haven't seen graphics cards this hyped up by either company for a long time now, especially from ATI as they've always tended to be a bit more lax in their marketing; and look at how well their cards are selling . . . look at how many people were holding out on nVidia's new hardware just to see what the HD4000 series were capable of . . .

if it wasn't for that anticipation and speculation floating around, this graphic cards series wouldn't have been so spectacular from either side.
  18. calvary1980

calvary1980 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I prefer nakednews [​IMG] but seriously why couldn't you just PM bta and talk to him.

- Christine
  19. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    News: GeForce GTX 280 now sells for $440 (fact) + Vendors not happy with NVIDIA (fact, verified from source) + Price makes it tempting (commonsense) + Wait for R700 for better decision (advice).
    What's there to crib about?

Had this exact article come up in say DailyTech, NordicHardware, Tom'sHardware, etc and I quoted them as source, I bet nobody would've cribbed so much. Why? "ZOMG Tom's! even if they speculate that G400 core makes pet-food apart from processing graphics, that's news!" but if TPU makes news (using facts), it becomes speculation/FUD?
  20. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    I respect btarunr opinions, and all the other opinions of the news team at techPowerUp!. You guys are doing a great job in the news IMO.
    btarunr says thanks.
  21. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I really don't get it... I mean, if you take the definiton of the word news, and Bta is doing just that.. Why didn't this happen when Zek was doing it? I would never bash my little bud, and he did do a good job, but he did it just like bta. A different person a different style.. But, it's better to hear from the news reporters then to ask why one thing is going on, or why this, and that...
    I might be just going on because I just woke up. But, I really don't think anything is going wrong with news... Bta is doing a good job, and I thank him for it.
    btarunr says thanks.
  22. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    I'm with ColSdtorm I this one. I too, like BTA's style. Not just his news stories, but his posts in many threads. I also enjoy his occasional choice of words. Can be entertaining! (like the retard sentence in the WoW achievements thread :D )
  23. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  24. Kreij

Thanks Received:
  25. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    There is a lot of places around the interwebz that are starting to give TPU as a source on the matter. Reasoning, news reporters making the report for others to understand it.
    Mal and Bta are doing nothing less then a Stand-up job on the matter! :respect:
    malware says thanks.