1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Next build for first quarter 2008

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Exavier, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Exavier

Exavier New Member

Thanks Received:
    [HELP NEEDED] My Next build for first quarter 2008

Right, so to time with the parts becoming available, I want to schedule this as tightly as I can for February/early March if I have to. The parts I will go into depth upon are in bold, while general notes are in italics;

CoolerMaster Stacker 832 [expensive but justifiable, I'm told]
    Corsair HX620 PSU
    XFX 780i motherboard [can purchase this from 28/12/07]
    8800GTS G92(x1) [on its' way from the US as we speak - my friend gets back to England around the 5th January]
    Swiftech Apex H20-220 W/C with some DangerDen blocks, etc [a matter of trusting DD more...]
    Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD(x2 minimum) [at £60 each OEM I think it's a bargain] OR WD Caviar equivalent
    Some form of Intel Q----
    RAM Modules
    Fans

I'm aware that with the delays the Q9xxx series come out - is it worth it over a Q6600 G0?
    RAM DIMMs - Which to go for? I game a lot and would appreciate good, stable quality. 800 or 1066 or higher? The 780i supports up to 1200
    Fans - I'm looking in particular for Papst FGMLs and Silverstone FNs, but I can't find any sellers in the UK...any help?

Thanks for looking,
    Ex :toast:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  2. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, since you're gonna be building Feb / March, the delays shouldn't hurt you. If you're going to be building soonish, then either pick up an e21x0, or grab a cheaper Penryn when they come out to tide you over. At this point, there's no point in buying a Q6600 if you're wanting the system for the long haul. The wait should be well worth it, and it looks like you've got a good system on the way!

Exavier says thanks.
  3. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    for the 500gb HDs I think you should get whichever one is cheaper from WD or Seagate.

Personally I bought a q6600, got a g0 stepping and it has low vdim so it should be a good clocker. The extreme 45nm quad would hit about 4.2 on air easily and I think and the q6600 g0 can easily hit 3.6ghz on air. I also dont think theres going to be much change at all per ghz the extra cache "might" pay off down the road when more stuff starts using 4 cores.. Im not sure aobut that, but extra cache didnt do much for e6300 vrs e6600 clock for clock wise.

All depend ont he price to me I got my q6600 for a GREAT price, thats why I didnt bother waiting around for the 45nm quads.. I really only paid $240+ taxes for it :p since it came with free shipping for my entire order and was on sale :p.

GL and thats just my thoughts... if I waited around I would have paid out quite abit more for a few extra Mhz. I thikn my q6600 will do well till Intels nexted Napalm? well thier uber cpu thier releasing Nov 2008.

Exavier says thanks.
  4. Exavier

Exavier New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Chewy & FF, good reasoning and nice points - As you say, it's about whether that extra cache and higher fsb will pay off...
    And also, any thoughts on the RAM//Fans?

5. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would go with 1066, Thier garrentied to clock that high. might depend on the brand you choose too, but from what Ive seen/heard the 1066 stuff seems to overclock better than most(all?) 800mhz ram.

Silverstone fans.. I take it you tried overclockers uk ? Im asking some1 if I find out I will post here.

Here is something :phttp://forums.kustompcs.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34160

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  6. Chewy

Chewy New Member

Thanks Received:
    read the bottom of this thread too http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=47425

I havent tried overclocking mine yet but you will need a top end cooler if on air to reach its full potential eg.3.6ghz+, I personnally expect 3.8 with 1.55v since I have a low vdim in core temp.

proper cooling is where its at for a q6600 chip. :p I have a water set up ready to go in.

7. Grings

Grings

Thanks Received:
  8. Exavier

Exavier New Member

Thanks Received:
    Grings, the 4GB looks awesome, but I've never used G.Skill before; reliability check, anyone?
    Also, thanks for the scan links, helpful that - anything on the ebmpapst fans? (4412FGML)

9. Exavier

Exavier New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also; this would be an overclocked system, hence the watercooling - is that RAM suitable for any real overclocking? I'm looking to get at least a q6600 to 3.5ghz for my Reason 4 studio stuff, and for gaming.

10. Grings

Grings

Thanks Received:
    not too sure how far it would overclock TBH, i just mentioned it cause its a damn good deal for 4gb, and its obviously good for at least 1000mhz, where most 4gb kits are either 667 or 800 and run really slack latencies

i cant find them papst fans anywhere either:(

11. Exavier

Exavier New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, that is true - cheapest 4GB of RAM I've seen anyway regardless of the fact it's nice :p
    I can't find the papst either, which is really annoying, as they're highly regarded and are supposed to be wonderful :(
    Thanks anyhooo

12. Exavier

Exavier New Member

Thanks Received:
    bump... :cry: