1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Next gen Debate: Intel vs AMD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by [I.R.A]_FBi, Aug 20, 2008.

1. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    What do you think the next round of competition will bring? Please submit reasons for and against. If you cannot abide by the rules of the thread please leave.

No fanboi comments as i will ask a mod to remove.

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    How can you ask this question with no facts about either piece of "next gen" hardware?

3. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Who knows really.
    AMD has to take care of GPU and CPU markets and seem to cater for the midrange,
    So at the end of the day I think Intel are still going to be in the lead when it comes to having the fastest chip.

4. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    well thats what everybody is goign to bring :) its a debate based on facts!

5. Dark_Webster New Member

Thanks Received:
    AMD, at least I think that got their game right. The new Deneb looks like a clear winner, at least it's power consumption is. Perhaps it will get more adoption by the media center users.

Intel, I have no idea. I've seen some pre-release benchmarks and the Nelahem looks like a good proc. Let's hope it's well priced either.

Let's see what happens when they come out :).

6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Untill the new stuff is released, it's all based upon marketing, rumor, speculation, and of course the few "facts" we know based upon information either company has released to the public. So, throwing my two cents into this "argument" I would say Intel wins so far, since we've heard close to nothing based upon AMD's new stuff.:ohwell:

7. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    intel are intel. If earth was hit by meteor they will survive along with cockroach :D. I find AMD more fun, CPU maker with GPU maker with Chipset maker they got all but time. Things they can create with combined technology I don`t now. If they survive this state I think we will see some great stuff form them.

8. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe thats the way AMD wants it to be. They will keep us guessing until last minute and then we all be like "o snap!" :) But then again maybe not. But based on what I've seen/heard im going to say Intel for now.

9. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    My bet is on Intel with them getting rid of HT and all.

10. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well this is AMD we are talking about, they have a way of just sky rocketing.

AMD Athlon

AMD Athlon XP

AMD Athlon 64

and

AMD AThlon 64 X2

each time they sky rocketed outta no where when everyone was beginning to loose faith

11. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    The upcoming i& benches sure look promising though up to 33% better in soem cases than intels top of the line procs atm. Then there is pics of AMD ES's @ 4GHz, what it does at $GHz though no one knows, i think this is going to be interesting.

12. jbunch07

jbunch07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    like all things in the tech world...only time will tell my friend.

13. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    just remember amd have graphics and chipsets to make while intel only crappy chipsets and cpus at the moment

as for graphics we will see what intel comes up with

i just go for the best bang for buck at the moment ati has the graphics crown intel the cpu crown although new cpus are coming out so id hold for those if i was in the cpu market

14. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think AMD can stay in the market. they will have to recover from getting caught behind the eight ball with the emergence of C2D but they will find their place

i don't think they will make the most "powerful" chips for awhile and if they do it won't be too much of a big deal in the marketplace. intel, as someone said above, is intel. they are a behemoth, a giant in the industry. when AMD AthlonX2 was the most powerful chip made intel still dominated the market, and it took an intel chip to bring dual core computing to the mainstream. AMD can hope to keep up, and i know bad blood exists between the two companies. but no matter how good AMD gets intel still has the name and reputation to outsell them at any given time.

i think Nehalem will be more powerful then any of AMD's offerings, but AMD can counter by offering solid, powerful, and reliable products at competitive prices. remember, not all are enthusiast like many here, and millions of people buy computers blindly. they have no idea of processors, graphics, or chipsets. and many businesses look at the bottom line. just give them something that works at a good price. so AMD certainly can stay in business

its at the enthusiast / professional level where they will hurt. and that means image and prestige suffer, too. if an intel based machine can finish crunching numbers or adding special effects to a movie, or go through thousands of pages of text document twice as fast as an AMD based computer, any working professional is going to take the more efficient unit. time is money and in those scenarios intel will save you money while helping you produce more

but for the home user and gamer....i think AMD will do fine. they're doing a good job with ATI and will always have a viable chip in the marketplace to compete with intel at a certain level. maybe even on the high end once again.

but AMD will never eclipse intel in the global market. they won't even come close. and even if they did intel would still win. why? because it says INTEL. that simple, really

i have an AMD chip. i run it stock. its a good chip i have no plans of "upgrading" to an intel or w/e. we'll see what Nehalem brings. and AMD in the future. but 'til then meh

15. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure that AMD will dominate with next gen graphics cards. They will probably still rock with their server procs, but i do believe Intel will whip out some crazy chips in the near future, like what they suspect the Nehalem to be. But one things for certain, there will always be the battle between the 2 companies to produce the greatest and most powerful chips.