1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Next-Gen Xbox Features Blu-ray, Will Not Play Used Games

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jan 26, 2012.

1. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    maybe you should download the Duke Nukem Forever demo?

2. HisSvt2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't waste your bandwidth. I want the 4.99 i spent on steam for it back:banghead:

El_Mayo and BumbleBee say thanks.
  3. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    haha I agree

4. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    So basically once you get a game your stuck with, im not buying the next xbox if this is true

I might just get a wii u instead because my ps3's and 360's have given mee to much misery over the years
    and i dont even like nintendo

A steam approach would be better because you can get a refund

5. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    The used games Rumor is a RUMOR! I highly doubt it will happen or Microsoft would have shot themselves in the foot, and said fuck you to the rest of the gaming industry. I am a but mad about the 6670 GPU, it should be like a 6770 or atleast a chip similar to a 6850

The only part im excited for with this console is the Blu ray.

6. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    You're not thinking. Consoles need less grunt because the games are optimised for the hardware for maximum efficiency. Even back in the day when PC was king, they rarely achieved efficiency over 60% due to the widely different hardware,

Isenstaedt says thanks.
  7. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yes i guess it's to much to hope for that they would use top end gear and use a more suitable case for the system so PC games wont suffer as they are today.

8. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Carmack was talking about something like that. on a console you can access the hardware directly but on a PC you have to go through Windows then the GPU drivers or something.

9. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    OK and those people who wish NOT to connect their system to the net? What would happen there? MS better put a prerequisite on the box stating a MUST for broadband internet.

10. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    When the original XBox was in vogue, they got close to 96% efficnency or something. Which allowed games like Burnout 3/Revenge to run on a 733MHz Pentium !!!, 64MB of shared RAM and a GeForce3.

11. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Its just a rumor. Not sure why people are so upset

12. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Hey, just playing the devil's advocate here. I know my wife's stepdad(stepfather-in-law ??) will never get any type of internet/broadband/dsl at his place,which my sister in law sticks around there alot, I do treat her kids quite a bit. Spoil them as if they are my own. SO what's to say if I buy 2 of the next gen 360's and can't take the game I purchased a license for state that I can't use it on 2 different consoles that I had purchased?! Going by what you are saying even if it is a rumor I am not allowed to be mad?

13. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I'm positive it's going to happen. This is exactly what they did with the PC version for the past decade and the big publishers like EA and Activision have complained about how much money is being "stolen" from them due to used game sales. They know gamers are going to hate it and there's no reason to think they wouldn't do it anyway--so long as Sony does the same with their console.

Game corps always choose profits over consumer rights. That's the bottom line.

Lots of PC games already not only require an internet connection for activation, but a constant connection while you play even if it is an offline single player game. This change makes sense with this gen of consoles requiring internet for activition and the gen after this requiring internet all the time. No internet = no console--same as more and more PC titles today.

I'm sure, for example, if your console broke and you replaced it, you could phone up Microsoft and have them transfer from your old console ID to the new console ID but I bet there's a limit to how many times you can do that in a month/year.

This shouldn't surprise anyone. The PC market was their test bed for this.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    If this is true MS just shot themselves in the knee with an arrow, I see them losing a lot of customers to PC over this which makes me happy.

15. IceCreamBarr New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm having a hard time getting my mind around this... how can someone prevent you from selling what you own? I'm sure they've argued that users don't own the game, they've only purchased a license. Well, then I own that license. If there are terms, user rights, etc. a legal document, must be agreed upon by me, in writing, prior to me handing over my money. If the financial transaction is complete and I take that game home - that license is MINE, and unfortunately for Microsoft, they did not implement proper procedures at the buying phase to fully disclose these terms - thereby passively manipulating my purchase decision. No amount of legal jargon and user rights, after the fact, will change the legally binding monetary transaction where Microsoft "dropped the legal ball".

16. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    That's PC .... this is a console ....

17. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Because according to the Digital Millenium Copyright Act of 1998, you don't "own" it, they do. You're only licensed to use it and that license is not transferable. Thanks to DMCA (there's an international equivilent adapted by the UN), restrictions like this are 100% legit (taking away your right to resale). I think it has been challenged in court and the courts stood for DMCA and the EULA being binding.

A console is just a dumbified HTPC. They adopted web browser, music playback, movie playback, etc. from PC technology. Here comes the DRM too.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. IceCreamBarr New Member

Thanks Received:

Interesting (and accurate)... although the transaction proceeds in exactly the same way as a purchase. A licensing transaction would have an additional step where both parties are made abundantly aware of the way the license will be used. Does anyone think AMD walked into Intel and asked the secretary for the x86 license? Licensing comes with terms: until I agree to those terms with the licensor, I'm not licensing, I'm purchasing. And if you take my money before I deliberate the terms, well tough luck to the greedy guy who wanted my money more than he wanted a transparent transaction -> by keeping my money before I know what I bought, you have conceded to the fact that I may not use the item as you intended.

19. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Erm, okay. You're allowed to be whatever you want, but getting upset over something that isnt/hasn't happened is just a waste of energy. Think of the other things you (and I) could be doing with the energy used in this stupid conversation

20. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    This will put MS def in the hot seat and the sales of the console will be abysmal. this is just another + for PC users who dont use steam/EADM etc for getting games.

Ya Know the average joe which are the console players really dont care wuts underneath the hood, only if it is easy to hook up and turn on, besides console graphics are limited.

21. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    really though - it's conflicting policies causing that. the store policy of no opened returns, and the game's policy of the agreement when you use the software. you don't agree to the terms until you use the software, but you can't use the software until you open the package - but you can't return the package once you've opened it - so even if you don't agree to the terms you don't get your money back.

yeah it is crahp....

22. ace80

ace80

Thanks Received:
    I hope this rumor is not true, i was really looking forward to the next gen console and this has seriously dampened that. It would be a seriously bad move imho.
    Alot of my games are pre owened and i prob rent a couple a month.

Everything you buy through your life you can resell, how can they possibly get away with this!!
    Think about if everything was like this with no reselling at all, the world would be a very crampted place with landfills full of perfectly good things and people dumping all over the land - extreme example

23. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    At least on PC like i said before there is an abundance of distribution services competing with each other. With xbox live im forced to pay whatever they set the prices at, i cant just go to another store or service. Out of print games will be done and gone forever if they dont let you use second hand games.

Your pretty much forced to buy the game new. They want to kill off the second hand and retro markets.

Some of the xbla prices have been decent but that doesnt mean they cant just charge a high price or take games off the service.

How would using your games in another console work? Say i want to take it to a friends house? Would it be linked to my xbox live account? Who knows.

24. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft will consider that a mod and probably ban your account permanently. Granted i dont normally buy used anything (aside from cars) but this would make me not buy the next console.

25. Mega-Japan

Mega-Japan

Thanks Received:
    PC games these, console games that. Here's my 2 pennies: Until Legend of Zelda is brought to me for PC, I will continue to play console games. I love PC games as much as the next guy (Elder Scrolls, Metro, Dragon Age, etc..) but they'd never replace my favorite anorexic boy in the green tunic :D.

That said, really disappointed about the used games thing. Then again, I was never planning on buy this nex-gen Xbox, or nex-gen PlayStation for that matter. It's just WiiU and PC for me :D.