1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Next-Gen Xbox Features Blu-ray, Will Not Play Used Games

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jan 26, 2012.

1. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    XBLA and PSN titles are tied to your account. maybe physical media will work the same, if so you just need to sign into your account and insert the disc on another console.

not being able to buy used games doesn't mean you can't collect.

I'm sure some of you had no interest in the next console to begin with...

2. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Which in turn hurts PC users because of all the console ports we get.

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  3. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    think about all the people who only buy used games. how many of them will convert to piracy and hurt PC Gaming haha

sno.lcn says thanks.
  4. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I got to disagree, they would get paid for it. Xbox has been the most popular console (that isn't targeting casual gamers), and if that continues into the next generation, that could make for some good money, and also make an interesting situation with MS depending on Sony. If Sony declines and forces MS to come up with it's own media type, then the Xbox leads in sales again, all thats going to do is hurt Sony, and Bluray. Right now Bluray just doesn't have competition, and if they force M$ to give it some, that could be bad for them.

5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:

Thats true- UT3 was the biggest example of Cliffy B being a Fuggin Sellout- You look at all the commands on PC and they are all console related.

6. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    all publishers care about is having physical media on the shelf. all developers care about is the extra space.

if i'm Sony i'm charging Microsoft so much for that license they will be in a hole out of the gate.

if i'm Microsoft i'm creating my own proprietary format because Blu-ray sales have tanked and the license isn't worth it.

7. c12038

Thanks Received:
    MIckeysoft DRM Xbox

If Mickeysoft think that XBOX DRM a way of making customers loyal say DOn't buy this utter crap...... What happens when you have completed a game and your stuck with it without being able to trade it in for another game MMMmm me thinks not.... Hahahahaha no way will i be buying a system that worthless

8. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    $20 says they change their minds

9. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Microsoft will just buy the drives from LG, Pioneer, or Samsung (they have licenses to produce Bluray hardware). Microsoft was on the board that developed AACS (the Bluray DRM).

If Sony sues Microsoft over it, Sony will start another format war which will cost them a fortune. They know that and won't fight it because of that.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    I bought most of my games new, but there are a lot I would buy used. This is disappointing.

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Second hand games cost less, course at those game places i always test to ensure it works...

12. OneCool

OneCool

Thanks Received:
    What is up with all these doosh bag companies trying to rule the consumers after buying their product.

I just dont understand the world any more :shadedshu

"If you buy our refrigerator your only aloud to put NEW food in it.If we catch you putting left overs in it ,your in serious trouble" :wtf:

Makes me want to just sell everything and start going to the arcade again. YAY 1987!!!!!!!!!!

13. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I can't believe Microsoft would even try this.

Licensing Bluray from Sony, yes, they would have to if they want to move into the Xbox media center all entertainment area, but binding games to consoles/accounts? Man they'd have to be cheap for me to buy.

Essentially it's the same thing that Steam does, but Steam does it better so if this is true, I'll just spend the money I'd buy an Xbox with and build an HTPC. No biggie. Voting with the wallet is awesome.

14. Platibus

Platibus New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't worry, in the future they'll only allow you to complete the game once, after that you'll have to pay a "small fee" to play it again LOL

15. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I wasn't even talking about the drives, isn't there a fee for the discs as well?

16. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Not that I'm aware of. It's kind of like HDMI--they charge by the output port, not by the cable.

This is why graphics cards only had one HDMI port. EyeInfinity and the like skipped HDMI and went straight for DisplayPort which is far less expensive.

How do you know Steam does it better? I imagine it will be seamless and you won't know it is even there until you try to circumvent it. It won't stop 90%+ of people from buying the console. I expect Sony to include something similar in their next gen console. This is simply the way the game market is going. As I said previously, PC games were doing this years ago (first with serial numbers, then with online activation, now with online all the time). This is nothing new. It is just getting implemented on consoles. If not this round of consoles, it will definitely be on the next.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    No used games plus 6670 graphics...

Yeah...sorry M$, you shot yourself in the foot twice already with the 720. I'm passing.

18. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    How does Steam do it better.

For one, it's a service that I use, and I agreed to the limitation of resale of games. I.E. it doesn't exist.

There is no physical media for me to worry about. Likely Microsoft's implementation will still require you to have the media in the drive to play the game.

I'm part of the 10% of folks who really don't give too big of a crap about console gaming. Sure, I do play games on the Xbox, but I really don't need to buy one to enjoy gaming. I'll build an HTPC and play games on my TV with a 360 controller. It works pretty damn good.

19. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    of course you can rent and second hand games... they call it 'piracy'

this will just kill the rental/second hand industry (leading to less sales in total) and encourage piracy far more. stupid move.

BumbleBee says thanks.
  20. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    You agree to that the instant you start Steam. The same goes for consoles when you turn them on. By using either product or service, you're entering their legal domain.

Maybe, maybe not. They might expand the service to be like Origin or Steamworks titles where you can buy on disk or download it--the keys work for both.

Microsoft's DRM, Steam's DRM, Sony's DRM, etc.? It doesn't match which you pick, they all got it. It's the reality DMCA has imposed on us all.

Pretty much.

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. GoFigureItOut

Thanks Received:
    How can they implement this into a gaming console? Are the disc embedded with a key or something? Microsoft will lose a lot of money on their new system. No one in their right mind would purchase the new fail box. Would this also effect used movies? I don't believe Microsoft will go through with it, they're not that dumb.

22. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    I doubt this is true, but what would you do if you have 2 people that share a console. say I get MW4(I will never do this in real life) I play online and then a friend comes along wants to play it and I don't want them to mess up my K/D normal he/she could just use their Xbox account, but know they can't.:banghead:

23. NC37

NC37

Thanks Received:
    No...M$ is very much that dumb. These are the same people who convince gamers to pay a subscription to play 360 games online...if they can get away with it, they will. But they are not dumb enough to turn a def ear to a large outcry.

Really, if enough fuss is raised, we'll see them backtrack on this plan.

I just wish it would have happened with the Vita's PSP emulation plan. Really, PSP owners should have boycotted that crap. Paying more money for digital versions of what they already own, just so BS.

24. asusstriker

asusstriker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow I remember just reading about the workers at the Microsoft Xbox factory going up on the roof about to commit suicide because of the poor wages and insane hours that their greedy corporation enslaves them to.

Now this greedy (slave labor) corporation wants to make more profits by forcing people to buy new every time they want a game :twitch:

Gaming and it's BS expensive download content and restrictions is only going to get worse, what ever happened to the good old PS2 days were the games actually came with everything you wanted.

Hmmm maybe it's time I give up gaming and pick up a healthy hobby like sports or something :rolleyes:

PS: I DARE Microsoft to pull this "No used games" off on us, lets see those sales slump!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  25. Nihilus

Thanks Received:
    Gamefly

For Xbox 3 I was not planning on buying any games, just doing the gamefly deal. Doesn't look good for that plan.