1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Next Upgrade?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by silkstone, Mar 16, 2009.

1. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys, i'd like some comments on what you think i should upgrade next. I seem to have hit a wall before i7. I won't be upgrading anything major for maybe 3 months. I just bought the E3110 and will probably keep it for a while unless a Q9550 would make a lot of difference?

I was thinking about a new mobo, but this will work at 500fsb (515 max) and dont really see too many benifits of upgrading before changing to i7.

I could get an extra 4gb of ram and take out 2 of the current 4gb to make 6gb.

I'm going to buy 2 3000rpm 90mm fans and attach them to the v8 at the end of the month as my cpu is getting close to 70C at full load (when encoding)

I was also thinking a second Giga 4850 but they're still pricey where i live, at $210, and my second PCIe slot is only 4x (V1) and my mobo isn't specced as being crossfire capable, i have doubts as to how much more performance i could get out of it.

Another option is a 22" LCD and run dual display.

Or a new case, although this one is fine for the moment, it would give me some hours of time setting up and modding.

I was thinking of spending some money on a WC setup, but as i'm pretty much motherboard restricted as to how far i can overclock i doubt this would help.

I would go raid, but i can't buy a raid card in this country!

Another option is to buy a gigabyte ramdisk (if i can still find one) and setup my os on it.

Or would i just be better saving till i can afford and i7 setup with 4gb DDR3? (about $600)

What would you do?

2. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd try to save money and buy when the crysis is over

3. PennySavre

Thanks Received:
    Your current computer sounds pretty good to me. I don't think I would bother adding another 4850 when the Crossfire is just 4x... Crossfire might not really make much of a difference on a monitor smaller than 22" anyway.

4. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    LOL - i'm not quite at mid life yet :) I must feed my addiction every couple of months tho.
    Maybe just a second HD will suffice and i'll forgo the pleasure of increased peformance.

5. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Go with cheap upgrades, then hold out until i7 comes down to much more reasonable prices. So heres a shortlist to pick around with;

Mobo: Asus P5Q Pro or Deluxe
    That second 4850 you were talking about would be a good investment if you can get a good deal
    Unless you absolutely need it, stick with 2x2GB, you will get better OCs
    Forget about extra fans on your CPU, take it out and lap the sh1t of that mofo. 99% of C2D IHS are badly concave.

6. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:

Already lapped my CPU flat, bt not to a mirror finish - too lazy. man it had a bad surface, there was one part that took ages to get the nickel off. HSF doesn't need lapping according to reviews.
    I''m considering getting a new mobo, but what kind of benifits should i expect with a P5Q-P/D over the VM?

At the moment i have 4x1gb mixed memory, which is one reason i cant get the memory over 1040mhz. Maybe i should sell them and go with 2x2gb 1066?

7. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    The P5Q Pro will give you many advantages, mainly in the OCing department. Being a P45 board you will also get a yummy 8x8 CF config for that future 4850. As the board uses PCI-E 2.0, which has all kinds of packet enhancements over PCI-E, 8x8 config is about as good as a 16x16 1.0 config in terms of bandwidth.

If you were to choose the Deluxe, you would get the same deal as with the Pro but also get a few extra BIOS options for OCing, a extra PCI-E 2.0 slot for 3x graphics, dual BIOS chips should you be unlucky enough to get a bad flash, and a better onboard audio codec.

silkstone says thanks.
  8. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    get a new mobo then...
    I would suggest the Gigabyte EP43-DS3L

9. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    P5Q Pro and another 4850 would be your best bet.

10. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also the ASUS P5Q pro would help...with a new Hdd...

11. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Are the p5q series able to hit 600mhz fsb's? i just done some testing and it seems i'm limited to 500 by my G33 - but even if i were able to get a higher fsb, i'd need some better ram right? whats the minimum ram multi? 1x?

The P5Q-pro only has 1xPCIe Slot and no raid :( would it really be that much better than a P35 based chipset?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  12. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Your looking at the P5Q by sounds of it m8, not the P5Q Pro. Linky As for RAID, the Pro supports 0,1,5, and 10.