1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Next Xbox in 2012, PS4 dev ramping up -Report

Discussion in 'Games' started by CDdude55, Nov 16, 2011.

1. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    It sounds to soon, especially since the next E3 isn't until 2012, so if they unveil the new systems there that would mean the consoles would launch literally in only a few months after E3 2012 (because E3 always takes place around the middle of the year) then again they could just hold their own individual conferences prior to E3.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/next-xbox-in-2012-ps4-dev-ramping-up-report-6346197?tag=newstop;title;1

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
    Millennium, Damn_Smooth and Lionheart say thanks.
  2. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    That could explain why we will see MW4, BF4 so soon.

3. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    For some reason, I'm expecting both of them to pull what Nintendo did with the Wii and release something that is only a minimal update. I hope I'm wrong.

4. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    based on the fact that microsoft only recently hired people for the project you're not. If they release something in 2012 it will be more of an Xbox360+ than the next geration of the xbox console.

5. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    makes no sense. Kinect is new, XBOX 360 sales are through the roof and Halo 4 launches next fall.

6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    well I know EA announced BF4 - but to say it will be out in 2012 is jumping the gun a little IMO.

If its definitely gonna be a 2012 release im gonna have to be 50/50 about buying the game. I want BF3 to mature first before i go play a new iteration of the game. 2012 release doesnt give that much time to really get into the game IMO.

CoD can make a release every year because nothing ever really changes ingame. IF the Battlefield series were to start doing yearly releases to compete with CoD, that will be the day i sell off my PC a buy a 1st gen mono screen gameboy and a few hundred games from ebay for my entertainment needs.

epicfail and INSTG8R say thanks.
  7. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    It would be feasible if they did just integrate off the shelf parts into the MB, much shorter development and lower cost. I've been wishing someone would just do that but it's unlikely that's whats happening.

8. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    Sounds to me it be something similar to Wii-U will be offering,i mean there are still lot of games hasn't been released on the 360 and PS3. Flipping Final Fantasy 13-versus hasn't even got a release date yet.
    And then theres Halo 4,Metal Gear Solid Rising,The Last Guardian and other great titles yet to be released.
    I expect Microsoft and Sony to keep 360 and Ps3 abit longer,i guess they want to release "new" console because of the Wii-U.

9. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    I kept hearing 2013 bounced around the internet earlier this year. The wii u showed in 2011 and is said to be out Christmas 2012 right? so they have E3 2012 to show it completed with some titles ect, 2011 was more of an announcement for the wii u. I can see Sony and Microsoft following that with showing something one year and releasing it the next.

Xbox is said to have a modified version of windows running on it. Not sure what to make of that, could be just under the hood stuff. Its supposed to have kinect built in too or at least something bundled.

This gen of consoles isnt done yet, its got at least another year or 2 left of releases. Halo 4 and the Fable game for kinect spring to mind, new Ninja Gaiden next year too.

As for Playstation who knows? Ive heard nothing but PS Vita info.

10. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Bioshock: Infinite and Mass Effect 3 come out next year too.

11. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Yeah your right i forgot Mass Effect is scheduled for March 6th 2012. I cant really think of any games into 2013 but i bet there are a few or at least planned. They also just announced a new Rainbow 6 game and obviously there is GTA 5 still to come.

12. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
  13. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    As i said in the original post:

It's possible that they could announce the new systems at CES 2012 in January. But i'm still skeptical, it could just be PS3.5 and Xbox 365 that might have more emphasis on cloud gaming or something lol. But it's currently being talked about as a 2012 release for both a ''PS4'' and a new Xbox some even saying Christmas 2012.

BumbleBee says thanks.
  14. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    hehe XBOX 365

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    yogurt_21 says thanks.
  15. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    If that's true, maybe people will start PC gaming to experience real advanced graphics.

I can dream, can't I?

16. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    The day of no more recycled DirectX 9 games on engines from 2005 will be a great one. :toast:

freaksavior says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  17. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    i hope its not just the graphics (waves to gameplay)

18. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    I really can't see new consoles coming out next year I would say 2013. To many big name titles coming out in 2012.

19. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why should this be the case?

Even if all microsoft does is stick an AMD 6950 GPU onto a PCB alongside an AMD Phenom, (and lets face it this wouldnt bust the bank) then they have an X-Box several times more powerful than what has gone before......but what is more likely, is that the X-box will be made using the tech which is the best balance of performance and cheapest to produce nearer the time (and whatever chips this should be, it will be sure to murder the performance of the current consoles). There is no reason why games cant be backwards and forwards compatible also, whereby the crappy X-Box gamers get low-res, screen tearing, and sub 30 FPS, whilst the X-Box2 gamers get high res textures, 60 FPS, v-sync, and extra graphical goodness in a similar fashion to the difference between a game running on a crappy and a high end PC.

Not that I know a lot about the industry, but I would say that there would be a definite killing to be made by offering a 'high end' X-Box that could offer console gamers the same kind of graphical goodness that PC gamers get. This would provide no culture shock to any developmental cycles as most of these games have high end graphical options developed for the PC market anyways and the games could be backwards compatible with the much larger pool of vanilla X-Boxes, which would mean the entirety of the console market would still exist.

If I were Bill Gates (or whoever it is now), I would do this!

20. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    They will probably put some around the lines of a AMD A6-3650 in it. :(

21. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Confirmed: http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1212626p1.html

New xbox is a cloud hybrid, most likely the new Playstation will have something to do with the cloud as well. Why can't they just put a current gpu in their systems and call it a day :(? If we can fit mid/high-end gpu's in a htpc I don't see why it wouldn't be possible..

22. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    The next Xbox may use an ARM SoC because Microsoft licensed ARM architecture, possible as 360 used a power pc cpu. Also years ago im sure sony said it would use the CELL in the PS4, i can see them using a tweaked and upgraded CELL cpu.

23. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    unfortunatley it's not that simple. Console development is far mor complicated than throwing together a gaming pc in a micro atx form factor. If it were that easy everyone would be console gaming on shuttles.

There's a reason nintendo has stuck with a 6 year cycle and it's not just to garner more sales for each console. Even with microsoft's and sony's resources it still takes at least 2 years to nail down a final version of a console. More than likely pushing into 3 years.

24. gmailer New Member

Thanks Received:
    "Cloud thing" will allow Microsoft/Sony to control gamers more - especially piracy gaming. Time will tell if brings any "good" for players or is it just matter of going with trend.

25. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    AMD has already confirmed that they are providing the GPU, so if it's any kind of SOC, it will be an AMD APU.