1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nexus 4 & Ebay Nonsense

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by the54thvoid, Nov 27, 2012.

1. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Sorry guys if this is in wrong place.

I tried to order the Nexus 4 on release and lo and behold I didn't get one. Got as far as cart but Play Store did it's best to fail repeatedly.

So I've been getting riled by watching Ebay over the weeks at the sheer amount of absolute pricks flogging what most reviewers and fans alike call the greatest ever android handset for idiotic amounts.

I've just seen a few buy it now ones for £600 (16GB). That's £300 (100+%) over what it cost. I know a lot of us here on TPU hate ebay but seriously, what the hell is wrong with people?

The greed is staggering, absolutely staggering. :shadedshu :shadedshu :shadedshu

Okay, so sell at a slight profit, make some cash and let someone else have a reasonably good shot at getting the phone they fought on Play Store for an hour to try and get. But wtf with all the massive greed? I find it despairing.

I have a decent phone right now (HTC One S) but i had some cash spare and wanted to get pure android (fed up waiting for HTC to update to Jelly Bean from ICS). So I'll wait for the Play Store to restock.

I guess I'm just appalled at the capitalist inhumanity of it all. Especially from the folk saying "I got two by mistake - grab your chance to get this great phone now!". Then they try and flog it at 100% profit.

Ah I just wanted to vent. Think I'll go and trawl the BST forum just to have my faith restored.

Anyone else try and get one?
  2. XL-R8R

XL-R8R

Thanks Received:
    Flash your One S to CyanogenMod and get rid of the awful bloatware HTC forces upon its customers, much like Samsung and their overlayed crap UI.

http://www.cyanogenmod.org/

Pretty much stock Android (Mod9 is 4.0.4) so very lean and fast.

Problem solved. :toast:

As for eBay... what you experienced appears normal for such a shameful site to be honest... I gave up looking on there a long time ago. :roll:
  3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Not greed, business. Aren't you greedy for wanting the phone so bad too?
  4. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Desire isn't greed. And I also have chosen not to buy the phone for the inflated prices. Furthermore, when i do get the Nexus 4, I'll palm off my HTC One S, probably on here for a paltry sum of money (check my Heatware - Greed doesn't figure).

Also, you say business. True, but business can be ethical or unethical (in many ways). Ebay is an auction site and how you use it defines you. When it started out it was a case of placing bids and seeing how much you could make, generally not making retail price. Now it's a case of putting in "Buy it Now" at higher than retail (or reserves higher than retail).

It's the lazy ass, unethical item touting (much like ticket touts) that I can't stand.

But I suppose I can't blame Ebay entirely - it requires idiots to buy the price inflated products in the first place. Which brings home the mad rush to buy the Nexus 4. It was selling at budget price - that's why it sold out so fast. And now people are paying twice it's retail cost to get one. Dumbasses.
  5. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You can be like me and wait for Google to actually start having stock for everyone, and treat that as the actual launch date. No problems :toast:
  6. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    The lack of soft buttons really cramps my style. I know it has the soft buttons on the screen but that takes up real estate that I could use for other things. Also the lack of 4G is a big debbie downer
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    This happened to us also. We were going to order 2 for work phones, started right at the launch minute, and while the order was fulfilled, it wasn't even the first or second wave of phones. Well be getting ours in a week.

TL : DR- Even when ordered in the first minute, you are not guaranteed a phone for the first 3 weeks.
  8. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Luckily (sarcasm tags required) for us in the UK our 4G network is a bit slow in coming. Proper availability at normal prices is a year or so off. So the lack of 4G isn't a problem here.
  9. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Ahhh understandable.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. hv43082

Thanks Received:
    It's really free market enterprise. The ebayer sellers can sell his product at whatever prices they want. The consumers can determine if they want to pay for it. Nothing to get upset over. If no one pays for the inflated prices, the sellers will be forced to drop their prices. If anything blame google for not having enough stock and creating this unbalance demand and supply situation.
  11. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Wait for more stock it won't be more than a few days! they were restocked 4 hours ago and sold out shortly after that again.... But hold out!

Flash your One S, those HTCS are beasts i have the ONE X
  12. kbfreak New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ditto on the rooting and flashing of cyanogenmod based roms...they are incredible!
  13. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    The new jelly bean update I put on my S2 is amazing for being officially unofficial.
    10 Million points folded for TPU