1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NFS Shift with latest patch hates my overclock?...

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Enmity, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Enmity New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright, I've been running my cpu at 3.8Ghz for quite some time now but after installing the nfs shift patch whenever I launch the game while overclocked the games closes immediately and says that the system has to shutdown as plug and play stopped unexpectedly?....WTF?...this only happens with shift after the patch has been applied, i can play any other game (crysis warhead, deadspace, re5 etc) with no problems.

Im running win 7 64bit. Any ideas? Specs are in sig.

Cheers
  2. JTS

JTS New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's odd. I'm slowly putting my OC back in place and haven't had any issues with Shift while oc'ed.

Have you tried running at stock for a bit to rule out a possible new issue with the game itself?
  3. Enmity New Member

Thanks Received:
    yep i can play the game fine at stock but if i overclock it crashes immediately and says the plug and play service has terminated unexpectly and needs to shutdown....weird huh? ...and its funny coz my overclock only consists of raised vcore (from 1.35 to 1.5) a.d raise the cpu multi from 15x to 19x. this has never been an issue in any other game until now lol....
  4. Enmity New Member

Thanks Received:
    also i just installed the hemlock ati driver which supposedly performs really well for shift. i uninstalled my official drivers then installed the hemlock driver and now i get this error and ccc wont load? very strange indeed. So i uninstalled ati drivers then used driver sweeper to remove any cling ons, rebooted, installed the official 9.11s and the same error is still there? any thoughts??

Attached Files:

5. JTS

JTS New Member

Thanks Received:
    That error looks like the driver installation has gone awry. It may be worthwhile 'starting from scratch again'

Everyone has their own methods to remove/clean failed driver installations, but this has worked numerous times for me:

• Uninstall ATI Catalyst Install Manager from "Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features" :

• Re-Boot into Safe Mode and run Driver Sweeper (to ensure complete removal of items, Run Driver Sweeper as admin. "Right-click Driver Sweeper > properties > Compatibility tab tick 'Run this program as Administrator' " :

• In Driver Sweeper select the ATI- Display only and then Analyse:

• Now select Clean to remove all ATI software:

Re-boot normally and install the 9.11 official drivers.

If you are still getting CLI errors, it may be worth uninstalling and 'permanently deleting' the drivers through device manager before running driver sweeper and starting again. Also try deleting any ATI folders ie C:\ATI , C:\Program Files\ATI , C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies etc

It may also be worth checking your event viewer logs to see if that plug n Play error points to a particular file.

(Start> type : Event > select 'view event logs' > Custom Views>Administrative Events)

I noticed you also have a 9800gt as well (for physx?), but it's hard to say whether that has anything to do with the OC'ing issue at this stage.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
    Enmity says thanks.
  6. Enmity New Member

Thanks Received:
    thank you, i will look into this now :) will report back with findings
  7. Enmity New Member

Thanks Received:
    just thought id quickly report back to say thanks, yes that worked regarding the driver :) uninstalled via add remove progs, went into safe mode, ran driver sweeper then rebooted and installed 9.11 without a hitch :)

Regarding the event viewer... im a little lost as to where i can find the exact event where the plug and play stops. maybe tomorrow i'll load up my overclock and make it present the error to me lol that'll make it easier to find since it'll be the most recent :)

Thankyou again.
  8. JTS

JTS New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good to hear you got the driver problem fixed.

When looking at the event viewer logs, look for something like this:
    (particularly the Faulting module name/path - if it exists)

event.jpg
  9. Enmity New Member

Thanks Received:
    i just loaded up my overclock, and heres the event errors. looks like the initial issue is with svchost?

Attached Files:

10. Enmity New Member

Thanks Received:
    bump
  11. JTS

JTS New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's not svchost.exe, but the Remote Procedure Call (rpcrt4.dll) that looks like the culprit.
    As to why it is happening, I really can't say.

Found here: (no successful resolution though)
    http://www.overclock.net/windows/597240-windows-7-dcom-services-being-terminated.html

I'd lean towards either a driver issue/conflict in the patch, or the OC isn't actually stable which is triggering the crashes. Seven is a lot less tolerant of instable overclocks I've discovered :(

Have you tried removing the 9800gt? (PITA I know)

Another thing you could try (no guarantee's) is disabling the HDMI audio output on the ATI cards in device manager.
  12. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I would test your OC. Your system could run everything fine, but one program wont work. If everything works fine at stock, sounds like your OC is a bit too high. My 955BE can't even really do 3.8GHz stable.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  13. Enmity New Member

Thanks Received:
    started testing my overclock....ive backs down to 3.4Ghz coz i can run that on stock volts, the game doesn't reboot now. maybe it is an overclock thing? temps in NZ are getting into the summer season so i guess that could explain it?
    so with stock volts its running fine...will keep testing. Gunna try 3.6 at 1.45Vcore next
  14. JTS

JTS New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's possible. I'm keeping my clocks lower because of the heat.

It's also possible that since the NFS patch fixed Xfire support, the resulting extra load on the CPU/Mobo and extra heat pushed a slightly unstable Overclock over the edge.
  15. Meizuman

Meizuman

Thanks Received:
    I would still try to isolate any driver issues by cleaning the comp with Runscanner and then clean the registry with CCleaner multiple times/when it doesn't find issues anymore. Those two programs have served me well. ;)