1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nice AMD ATI ATX Gaming rig suggestions please.

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Altered, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    OK I have another acquaintance who is wanting to build a real nice ATX gaming rig. Mainly playing AA3 and nothing will be used from his current rig except monitor, mouse, and keyboard. He would like a AMD cpu and a good ATI HD5870. Other than that he asked we just do not get stupid on the $. (no $300.00 cases no $500 cpus if you get my drift :p ) Basically a real nice single card AMD gaming rig to run Win7 is all he wants. Probably need to air cool but a simple WC kit option would be nice if I can get a price/parts list for it as well. He is no OCing fool but may a little at some point. I know quiet is something we all desire so keeping that in mind is good as well.

Thanks again for any suggestions. :D
  2. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Please bear with my ignorance, what is AA3 game?

I would suggest PII X2 550 BE as first option. If you are going step up a bit then PII X4 955 is best. Middle of the road I would say get a PII X4 810/925.

Either of these CPUs you don't need exotic coolers anymore. Just a decent 92mm fan direct touch heat pipe cooler is more than enough.

Board - I suggest Asus M4A78 pro. Awesome stable board. I have one and I love it. But you can go with the Asus Evo if you want DDR3 for more future proof.

And ofcourse 4GB mem and other things you need.

my 2 cents.
  3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    americas army 3

something like a 785G board, athlon II x4, 4GB DDR2 800, corsair PSU (500W+) and a 4770/4890
    suraswami says thanks.
  4. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    $179.99 PII X4 955 is well within reason I think, he is really more to the high end I would say just nothing exotic is more what I was meaning. I know he wants a HD5870 as well so its needs to be close to keeping up with the card. Now what brand and model is something I am still not sure of. I know the 4870 had fan issues (defaults speeds were to late coming in letting the card run warmer than necessary) I think ASUS was one of the first to correct some of the issues with them and dont want him to have any issues of this sort. :)

As far as the 785G board do you have any preference as to what one in particular?

Thanks for the input so far.
  5. BraveSoul

Thanks Received:
    here is an affordable, powerfull and more efficient Phenom2 3.0ghz
    4gb of fast ddr3 Ram with tight timings
    i like Gygabyte motherboards, this one seems good but there r so many others, asus, msi get what ever u like
    Antec Nine Hundred is a very popular case and got some good combos with power supplies
    as for his favorite game, Ati 5850 would be more then enouph and is much better priced
    ---------------------------------------
    share your ATI 5xxx results here|what is ur favorite 4x4 game|what video cards have you owned
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
    Altered says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    AMD Phenom II 955 or 965
    AMD Radeon HD 5870
    GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    OCZ Platinum 1600mhz 7-7-7 DDR3

should be nice ;)
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009