1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nice graphics card with HDMI out which will fit in a AGP slot

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Salbando, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Salbando New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an older mob that will only support the older 4/x8x AGP. I would like
    to have it have an HDMI output to hook up to my HDTV--would
    like broadcast both video and sound at simultaneoulsy so I would not have to mess
    with my sound card?

What about cards that have DVI and S-Video how are they in resolution quality
    to HDMI. Are there some newer cables that have S-video to HDMI with sound
    or DVI to HDMI with sound?

2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    There are HD 3450, HD 4350, HD 4650, and HD 4670 cards that are HDMI + AGP:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

NVIDIA cards are more likely to have S-Video but you give up HDMI in doing so (it uses audio pass thru).

HDMI can handle 1920x1200 and higher. S-Video has a maximum resolution of 768x576.

DVI + Sound = HDMI but, as far as I know, having a separate source for audio and video causes desyncing issues (video faster/slower than audio). The cards linked to above are your best choices, especially the HD 4### series cards.

Salbando says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Salbando New Member

Thanks Received:
    How would a BFG 6800GT OC 256 AGP card compare to these other cards. I know it is not HDMI but it does have DVI and s-video. I know it is an older card but I heard a lot of good things about it and I was just wondering how it would do in streaming video to a TV.

Also, of the HD #### cards that you mentioned---which would be best for streaming video and then also outputting that to a TV?

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    any video card can handle video. the only reason you need a more powerful/expensive card, is for 3D stuff like games.

DVI and HDMI are basically the same - you can get cheap adaptors between them, just that cards with native HDMI tend to have audio on that port as well as video.

Salbando says thanks.
  5. Salbando New Member

Thanks Received:
    So you would not agree with the statement:

"DVI + Sound = HDMI but, as far as I know, having a separate source for audio and video causes desyncing issues (video faster/slower than audio). The cards linked to above are your best choices, especially the HD 4### series cards."

6. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the HD radeons have a built in soundcards, so you can get video + audio from the one cable. Since its on a PC, i just use PC speakers and dont really care about HDMI audio.

Salbando says thanks.
  7. Salbando New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh, I am talking about outputting it to a TV in this regard---that is why i was asking about DVI and sound sync problems?

8. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
  9. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    DVI as far as I recall is basically HDMI, same thing, just a connection type to reach the same effect.

10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    HDMI and DVI are the same as far as video is concerned. the sound sync issues he mentioned arent a big deal, and more to do with how nvidia adds audio to their HDMI solutions