1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

nightmare build from hell

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by freeboy, Oct 20, 2007.

1. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    so, I had two ide drives. and old hard drive and a dvd drive on my 939 sys. When I purchased a p5k e drive it had one slot and trying to get a hard drive and a dvd master and slave has been a nightmare, plus windows foulup asking me a password I did not know etc.. so, I basiccaly am screwed and lost the dvd player, broke a pin, and need to redo all my sofware!
    Are there boards out there with TWO ide ports (775)?
    Any help apreciated! GREATLY

2. Lt_JWS

Lt_JWS

Thanks Received:
    freeboy says thanks.
  3. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    freeboy says thanks.
  4. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    well, I am truly screwed now as I had to reinstall windows t othe partitioned "d"d drive the logical e, now it has my old d drive as my new c drive.. with my registry upside down.
    I had nothing on the ide .. long story... per my friend I could get a longer cable ide.. BUT
    Now I think I am committed to either a 35 or 38 chiped board.

So lets say I keep this board, drop the ide hd, no data anyway. leave the old d SATA as C, remember the screwy windows lost repair ? caused me to re install to the partition, I did not want to format old d. Can you say CLUSTER?
    My local IT friend recomended a software that would simply tell my old componenets new registry.. IE they want to be on D but are actually on c... will this work and what is its name.. OR ]
    ]
    Any other software related fixes that allow me to not hAve to transfer all my programs to another drive and reformat... THANKS for the above answers too... you cannot believe hol LOW I felt lat night! Especially after having done this several times!

note my freind thought the name was drive change but he was not sure

ok. this is the last post.. seems the "easiest" restoring d drive to D position , now as C is to disconnectthe sata, add new sata, install windows, and then configure drives letters.. thanks again..

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  5. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    just start over, reformat the whole drive then repartition and install windows.

at this point you have no reason not to stop the "cluster" and start over clean

freeboy says thanks.
  6. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Defiantly just start over.

freeboy says thanks.
  7. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    yep, total nightmare compounded by fan wire shorts and other issues, now stable and slightly overclocked as I migrate software to new sata drive and then do a complete format of the big sata, well, when its over I will have a great big empty hard drive to write to!

I really screwed up , now have started the new drive as a clean install...
    does anyone know if you can raid non symetrical drives? ie smae speed different size?

8. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    ouch man, your giving me a head ache !!!! lol..

Just nuke the lot and start fresh bro, you have already turned it all into spagetti anyways...

FYI... (in case you didn't know) :)

Remember when you have master and slave drives on the 1 ide cable that they must be connected in the right sequence or the pc will have a lot of errors and not work properly. The best way is to just set both the drives to cable select. If you really want to set one to master and the other to slave via jumpers then the master must be on the end of the cable from memory....

freeboy says thanks.
  9. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    ok here we are, ditched the last of the old ide hd, one still from last year need to be reinstalled in the old p4 and data salvaged, can you tell how excited about that I am?
    the ide is only connected to the dvd rw, the sata are each connected into the "open" sata slots as my x1950 blocks some of them! anyway, system is working and stable, fan case upgrades are working , memory is super oc'd, only drawback is the time spent on all this crap was not spent oc the cpu which is now only at 3600 stable.

lessons learned:
    A Do your prep on the old drives FIRST
    B. learned how to, and not to, use a multi, tried to melt it! oops
    C. Check wires first, then other issues.
    D. Miscillanious,sp?.. learned alot of interesting hal stuff etc...
    E. not a lesson but did verify the 12 vt line is good under stress..
    F. MS is TERRIBLE for help.. "die u scum sucking leaches die" LOL

and the number one leasson learned: THESE BOARDS RULE!!! sanity makes acomeback!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  10. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I would'nt risk raiding them two drives,afaik they need to be the same size,same make.

freeboy says thanks.
  11. freeboy

Thanks Received:
    yep, probably will do it as the new 160 WD sata is a steal at 56$ locally.
    thanks again all

12. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have two Seagate 7200.10's in RAID 0.
    One is 320gb and one is 250gb. No problems at all since I installed the array.

I would have to advise against anything else being different. Eg - Brand, Model Name.
    Also, if you have the same two drives and one is an older drive and one is new I wouldnt advise it either.

freeboy says thanks.
  13. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Another piece of advice would be to have a new start with a new motherboard and Check what you buy before you buy it, so you dont end up biting the dust AFTER you purchase it. I'd highly recommend you make your setup ALL SATA; i.e. a new start. Hdds and Burners are dirt cheap anyway and it will greatly simplify everything.