1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nikon Nikkor Lenses Backordered/Temporarily Out-of-Stock Everywhere?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Chappy, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Chappy

Chappy New Member

Thanks Received:
    My major electronic store is BHPhotoVideo and I'll be getting a Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Zoom Lens and in alternative the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Zoom Lens but both back-ordered. Is Tsunami in Japan (Source of high-grade materials) and Thailand flooding has something to do with these shortages?

2. Inceptor

Inceptor

Thanks Received:
    I don't think this fits into the TPU forums, but I'll give a try at an answer.
    It could be that they are planning some kind of relaunch of their products, when that sort of thing happens, older models tend to be sold out as the retail channels clear to make room for the new relaunched products.

But, after doing a search of a major Canadian camera retailer\etailer, Nikkor lenses are available, in Canada at least, where I am. So, maybe it's just a shipment backlog... they would be shipped in shipping containers on freighter ships, maybe the ship with the lenses got hijacked by pirates... the straits of Malacca, the shipping lanes off the coast of Somalia...
    Or, the shipping container is sitting at a port somewhere, stuck in customs, waiting for clearance...
    A lot of possibilities.

Chappy says thanks.
  3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Chappy says thanks.
  4. Chappy

Chappy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe, But about the ships getting hijacked by pirates? not possible these days. My dad who is a Master Mariner often tells me a story that every time they pass through Somalia, there is about 5 highly trained heavily armed navy seals board their ship till they reach the next fort plus the whole ship is encircled with razor barbed wires. For customs hold up, Well its already been 4 months or more... Could be because of the launching of their new flagship camera D800.

Yeah, Crazy! Already looked into it and the prices are shouting like... I will only lasts a few weeks of use. The 18-200mm Nikkor lens have a crippling zoom problem, maybe their selling those.

5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Maybe that's why they are hard to get as they been taken of the market and lets face it anyways IF you did find some one selling new and you had to return it be all hassle.

So if i was you send Nikkor a email and see if they say any thing about it and if they are planning to do a replacement which i am sure they are at some point.

6. jsfitz54

jsfitz54

Thanks Received:
    Has your dad been to the Panama Canal recently. I was wondering about the 2 new locks being built. Hasn't been in recent news.

How does one become a Master Mariner?

7. Chappy

Chappy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, But he didn't mention about new locks? Maybe its about the expansion? he says its already been dogged and now its 2 way. There's this some kind of big ship that digs there. sorry didn't get the photo from him. But I have the link of the ship his commanding in Norden, I think its the largest dry cargo ship in Norden called Nord Energy. Recently their carrying TONS of TONS of iron ore going to CHINA from around the world! Well china is up to something for sure doing with all those iron ore. He also mentioned when they're arriving in china tons of ship carrying iron ores are in the traffic as well.

To become a Captain (Master Mariner). You need to study Nautical in college and you'll start off in 3rd mate then after a year of exp take an exam wait for your promotion from your captain and move up to 2nd mate, chief mate and finally captain all needs approval of promotion from your commanding captain. There's also a bosun... dunno if you'll start from there. It's hard to go up cause you need to be promoted to be able to go up.

AsRock and jsfitz54 say thanks.