1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nintendo considering name change for WiiU

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by RuskiSnajper, Jan 27, 2012.

1. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/25735-wii-u-destined-for-holiday-release

http://nintendoeverything.com/inter...r-nintendo-considering-name-change-for-wii-u/

Finally they get it !:respect::respect::respect:

If xbox cpu things were in the news than this is also newsworthy quibit ... ! Okay not that of a "tech" thing but what the heck. This is probably the most important news for hardcore nintendo first-party fans as well as the core communities that a cool name will be a lot more attractive to win them over in adopting the system (all those 15old 360 fanboys pwned) , since obviously nintendo wants to get back into the core.

Honestly i don't like the current name either :p Doesn't sound "core" enough. AT ALL
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    Well, to me, the WiiU as it is designed now, looks like a modernized NES. Since all nintendo followers brag about old times and retrogaming, why not call it NES2? Or even SNES2...
  3. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    They can call themselves WiiWii for all I care, as long as the final product is fun and at a reasonable price then I will be inclined to buy it.
  4. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    or they could call it UltraNES
    Sir B. Fannybottom says thanks.
  5. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    Help me understand this. My cynical side is agreeing with my realistic side to say that Nintendo's new name won't influence anything, but this is apparently news?

Nintendo's main profits engines are hardware sales and nostalgia buyers. Qualifying the second statement, when was the last time Nintendo made a new character, and when was the last time they rolled out an old character. The time difference is rather dramatic when you think about it, huh?

Wii took this profit engine, and finally used the internet. The virtual console prints money, and targeting "casual" gamers has made Nintendo a very profitable entity. Now that the markets are saturated, Nintendo requires that something akin to an armed uprising be lifted in order to get any new games (see project Rainfall).

In order to get their first profit engine back up and running, they release a new console. Its name will not influence price, as proven by the Wii. Wake me when they have the balls to release a console that isn't underwhelming, and they actually need to try to appeal to their market in order to print money.
  6. Synon Zelra New Member

Thanks Received:
    well, it's all about marketing. You can understand this as a forecast that the new console is coming soon and Nintendo want to catch the eyes of the public.
    As far as I know, Nintendo is just trying to change their hardware sales mode of profiting, you can easily know this by following the price of nintendo3ds.
    And yes, Nintendo do has been a long time not to creat a new character, but what attract me most are just these classic characters. You can always find a lot of fun on the new story of these characters. Since you can always make great sequels which both make a lot of money, why stop?
    If my memory goes correctly, Nintendo worked more on the third-party game makers on Wii-U to get more exciting games on this console. I think just let's see. The E3 is coming...
  7. THRiLL KiLL

THRiLL KiLL

Thanks Received:
    with the Nintendo wii, they didn't aim at the hardcore gaming crowd. It was a risk that paid off. The price point was also a key factor.

xbox copied suite with the kinnect, with some success.

Sony's move was a flop.

with the wii-u, i dont see it being as being the same as the wii. The advantages they had, are gone, and the the cost of the wii-u will be much higher /w the more processing power and the big controller gimmick
  8. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    gamewii?
  9. THRiLL KiLL

THRiLL KiLL

Thanks Received:
    it would be nice to see some other games on the wii.

mario/zelda have had way to much squeezed out of them
  10. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    i was like do u speak french, that "WiiWii" sounded like french :roll:
  11. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    If there is compatibility issues between the Wii and Wii U then I think they need to change the Wii U name. I don't really care what they call it because I'm probably skipping that generation of consoles.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Synon Zelra New Member

Thanks Received:
    The unique gameplay differs wii from other consoles. If you can play a great game(like COD or BF) on either PC, PS or Xbox, so why wii? I mean wii's hardware is not as good as ps or xbox, wii can't take advantage of the same game among all these consoles.
  13. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    My question is if the GPU the next gen xbox360 is going to be using only costs $80 why doesn't Nintendo strap one of those in its next gen wii and directly compete with the xbox720 in terms of graphics?

It still pisses me off beyond belief that consoles are so behind. As long as they get to the DX11 status maybe PC gamers can start benefiting from console oriented game developing.
  14. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    I think they should call it Aah
  15. Synon Zelra New Member

Thanks Received:
    In Nintendo Japan, it seems that they insists gameplay is everything of a game. Words are Wii-U will support 1080p as well as DX11.
    I remember the GPU of Wii-U will be the same ability like HD 4870.
    Sony always gets the best hardware:banghead:
    by the way, PC runs the same game not so efficiently as the console which means it requires much more better hardwares. I guess that's the difference between x86 and arm ?:)
  16. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    That's the difference between a beefy (and bloated) OS that can perform a multitude of different operations and run a bunch of different programs vs something that can just run a single game at a time.
    Chevalr1c and Synon Zelra say thanks.
  17. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    ^^ that, and there are no ARM cpus in a gaming console. Not powerful enough, so I guess it is IBM's PowerPC arch.

BTW, Wii-u resembles a siren.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
    Synon Zelra says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Nintendo doesn't compete with Microsoft and Sony. Nintendo does their own thing.
  19. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    This is a very important thing that many seem to forget/not realise.
  20. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    wait can you use the word "core" in that context?
  21. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    The should call it the WiiDu, and colour it black. ;)
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  22. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i lold
  23. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    THANK HEAVENS! :respect:

The name of the last console ruined the Reputation as a core gamer machine (Yes there were several core games for it just not in compare to XB or PS)
  24. Synon Zelra New Member

Thanks Received:
    You know there are only three kinds of consoles in the market, so it's just hard not to compare nintendo with ms or sony.
  25. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received: