1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nintendo Wii No. 1 Game Console in March

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Apr 20, 2007.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nintendo once again claimed the top two spots among the best-selling new video game systems in America in March, according to independent sales data gathered by the NPD Group. Despite widespread shortages for both systems, more than half a million buyers snapped up the portable Nintendo DS, and Wii which is now once again the top-selling new home video game console. Wii remains the fastest-selling new console in more than a decade, based on NPD sell-through information over the first five months of availability.

Source: Nintendo

2. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Alright. I look forward to the slow down so I can get my Wii. :)

3. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually, the PS2 was still the best seller. The Wii just topped the 'new' console sales.

4. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think he did say "new video game systems" :cool:

5. kakazza New Member

Thanks Received:
    NPD = Nationalist Party of Germany, lol

6. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ahh - missed that, my bad. But it's still interesting to see the PS2 dominating the market.

7. Benpi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just because a system is cheaper, and as a result, sells more, doesn't mean it's the best console.

What's better - a Honda Civic, or a Lamborghini?

8. ryboto

ryboto New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, to me, a civic. Are lamborghini's reliable, can I afford one? it's not the best question. every car, like every console has their strengths and weaknesses. You can't say the Wii is selling better just because of it's price, if that were true, then why didn't the gamecube sell this well? Everyone I've talked to who has played the Wii loves it.

9. Conti027

Conti027

Thanks Received:
    same here cant wait to get my hands on one

10. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've got one :p

The console itself is good - graphics are lacking a lot compared to the 360 and PS3, but then again, that isn't the main reason you buy a Wii. The controller is actually much more accurate than I expected, the biggest problem is that current games 'overuse' the motion sensing - take NFS: Carbon as an example. That game is great if you like the NFS series, but EA decided to try a variety of different ways to use motion sensing. The default way is absolutely awful... but once you find the decent setup, you immediately begin to like the Wii controls more than the PS2 or PC.

Shooters don't work too well because of the way you look around, but games like SSX: Blur and LOZ: Twilight Princess are pretty good games once you get into them (although I haven't had a chance to play SSX as much as I would like).

For £180, you can get the only new console with true backwards compatibility, built in wireless networking, free online gameplay (eventually anyway), quite a stylish and small design, unique controls, the lowest power consumption and nice little extras like a free stand and a free game so you're ready to go straight away.

11. Benpi New Member

Thanks Received:
    I guarantee that if the PS3 and Xbox360 both costed $250, the Wii'd be the flop of the new gen. Just like if a 500HP Lamborghini were the same price as a Honda Civic - there'd be no Civics on the road.

The question was, which is better - a civic or a lamborghini, not which is more reasonably priced. Because I firmly believe price is the only reason the Wii is selling so well.

12. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok... but at the end of the day, Nintendo must be doing something right because their console is easily the most successful out of the new consoles - to start with, they actually make a profit. People seem to think there is something wrong with offering less for a lower price, when in reality Nintendo has taken the best marketing approach as things stand.

I don't think there is any argument over which console is graphically 'the best' - but at the end of the day, a Honda would do everything I need it to at a much more reasonable price. I'll admit it, if the PS3 was the same price as a Wii I would probably have gotten one of those, but at the end of the day it wasn't and I don't do enough gaming to justify £425 on a PS3, just like I don't do enough racing to justify spending £100,000 or more on a Lamborghini.

13. Joshmcmillan

Joshmcmillan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a wii too. AUD$400 for a remote with attachment, games, internet browser, news channel, forcast channel, voting channel(polls on everyday life), stand and a console too suit that has wirless networking, the option to play gamecube discs or buy older console games online for a low price, download free demos for a nintendo ds and for the wii(soon) I'd say it's pretty good.

And BenPi put it this way, if you could buy a Ferarri for 1 million dollars or a Honda Civic for $25,000, which would you PREFER to do? Price is included in the alround judgment of how good something is. Another example if an E6300 was $10 and an $6400 was $100,000, how many poeple do you think you'd see with E6400's??