1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No 1GHz 4890 on stock?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Mega-Japan, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Mega-Japan

Mega-Japan

Thanks Received:
    It shouldn't be too hard for a maufacturer to overclock the 4890 up to 1GHz, any rumors of the sort of one coming anytime?

2. LuxZg New Member

Thanks Received:
    PowerColor has water-cooled HD4890, but it will probably be just 900-950MHz from factory.

I'm sure someone will release 1GHz card, just for the bragging rights of first-ever in GPU.. But it will take a bit of time, better coolers, or water cooling kits..

3. FilipM

FilipM New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sapphire has a 901mhz one

4. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    ASUS is making a 1ghz one, keep your socks on ;)

5. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cant wait. I want to buy two 4830's but crap now I dont know what I want.

6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    What I heard was two weeks after 4890 release, there will be more OC'd cards and cards with different PCB designs, different coolers etc.

7. coki New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah! Liked your posting. Hiccups in CFD Trading & Forex Trading is a global phenomenon. Even some of the stable Asian markets are sliding down

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  8. nafets New Member

Thanks Received:
    I highly doubt you'll ever see a 1GHz factory OC'ed HD4890, at least not with full availability. I could see some "limited edition" cards, on the order of 1-5k units total. Kind of like a teaser or marketing gimmick.

The process by which to bin the chips at such high speeds necessary for production and the costs to fully test and ensure that the cards are absolutely stable at all times would be highly excessive. This would lead to a final product that is horribly overpriced and most likely lacking in any further OC'ing abilities.

An interesting option would be an HD4890 version that is OC'ing sanctioned and supported by the manufacturer. This model would have specially binned chips that are known to have quite a bit of headroom, but are just modestly OC'ed from the factory. This would leave the end user to extract the most out of the GPU, by whatever means possible.

I don't see why anyone would pay a premium for these types of aggressively "OC'ed from the factory" cards, as your luck is just as good messing around with a stock clocked model. But there is always a market, however small, and usually some manufacterer will try and serve it...

9. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    To hit 1Ghz on the 4890's you need to increase the voltages over stock, to like 1.35v at least and maybe even as high as 1.4v.

Any of the cards should be able to hack 1ghz, you just need that sweet Asus program to do it.

10. kyle2020 Guest

Just wait a good month after the initial release and youll get one thats had the nuts overclocked off it with a tasty aftermarket cooler already slapped on it.

11. Flyordie

Flyordie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually, the final version (as soon as they get enough binned that can do the speeds) is 1.1Ghz from AMD using TEC Cooling. Idk if any brand names will pick it up but I can see 1.2-1.3Ghz on good TEC.

12. iStink

iStink New Member

Thanks Received:
    asus has the one coming out with voltage set to 1.41 dont they?

13. js01 New Member

Thanks Received:
  14. crtecha

crtecha New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice clock for sure.