1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No beeps at POST, possibly system panel connector help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by AngryMerchant, Jul 9, 2011.

1. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    There's no beep at POST. I have the gpu plugged into the psu, the card seems secure, I don't think I can find any more cables from the psu that need to be in the mobo.

Motherboard is P5G41T-M LX. I can get the power LED to light up, I tried turning the hard drive various ways but nothing.

This is the instruction manual of the front panel connectors:

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7977/img1138aj.jpg

And the connectors:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/8404/img1137rf.jpg

The two 1-pins are just labeled + and -

2. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    try to short pwr on manually using pen, does it work
    if not check your psu and re route the cables

3. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    I tried disconnecting and reconnecting some cables, now it won't even turn on. Nothing happens.

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    take us some photos of the system and its power connectors.

5. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    The power LED turns on as soon as the psu switch goes on, and then the system just doesn't turn on.

6. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    photos, please. could be something you've missed that we wont.

7. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    The video card isn't in because I don't see why it would be the problem. The PCIE connector is in, it's firmly in the PCIE slot, that should be all that's necessary.

Clearly connected here:
    http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5594/img1140fr.jpg

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7678/img1141y.jpg

This is the fan wires being held up
    http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/674/img1139ly.jpg

They connect to an external controller, but really I have no clue where those connect to inside. I don't have any pictures of my old motherboard connected either.

8. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the system wont boot without a video card installed, FYI. if you've got onboard its fine, but if you dont, it wont POST.

just checking that the 4 pin CPU power is connected properly behind the CPU heatsink? cant see in your images (but i can see wires going there)

for now dont connect any of the front panel connectors, just use a screwdriver to short the power up pins and it should start. If this doesnt work, check the jumper for clear CMOS (Clear RTC on some boards) - i've seen boards that wouldnt power on if that jumper wasnt connected and in its 'regular' position.

9. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    The 4 pin is connected.

It's past 1 am and I really don't know what any of that means. I connected the fan as best as I could figure out, the video card, the big power supply cable and the 4 pin. The last time I did this, it worked and then ran for 3 years. Now seeing as I've never had any problem anywhere even close to this, I don't know anything about any of what you're referring to because there wasn't any need to. I don't intend to start jabbing a motherboard with a screwdriver, if I need to do that, I might as well just get an entirely different motherboard that isn't going to give me this trouble.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  10. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    He was just referring to your front power switch. Its actually a short switch that shorts two posts to send a single to the power supply. If the switch is bad it wont start. By shorting the two power switch posts you bypass the switch that may be bad.

11. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    I'm not going to believe that every single piece of my computer except for the hard drive went through a catastrophic breakdown all on the exact same day. The power button works. But something else very much does not. It seems no matter how I connect the front panel connectors, it gets worse. The system now has no LED, no startup fans, and of course there's still no POST.

12. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Believe what you want. Your asking for suggestions . Ive seen whole systems go bad at the same time and these suggestions are standard trouble shooting procedures. Just start over sometimes that works

13. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    I've seen my friends bios report CPU temps of over 100c just because he put one of the front panel connectors on the wrong pin. Double check the connectors, Infact take them all of and just plug in the power switch, if the pc dont boot turn the pins around, If it still don't boot then use the reset switch as the power button, My bosses power switch broke he ended up spending £80 on a good PSU because he thought the PSU was the problem, It wasent untill i checked it over and used the reset switch as the power button that we found out the main power switch was broke.

14. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    The power button worked last night. I unplugged some things and the next time I tried, nothing happened. The computer no longer starts up. I am not going to believe the power button broke after 10 minutes. There's just a "no signal" flash on the monitor, and that's it. No fans, nothing. I have absolutely everything plugged in and it refuses to work. Stop suggesting this power button nonsense, because when I just randomly plugged them in last night, the computer worked, and I might have just needed to connect more power into the gpu. But now the computer outright refuses to function in any manner whatsoever, completely regardless of what system panel is plugged in where. Now I have no clue whatsoever what the problem is.

All I see is that a CMOS jumper is missing, so the pins are uncovered. I don't know if this would affect anything.

15. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Well it appears you have another system besides this one, judging for your system specs, so you will be able to check the HDD and other easy to move peripherals to see if they are indeed damaged or not.

One way to cross out possible issues before pointing out the motherboard.

16. AngryMerchant

Thanks Received:
    No, I don't. There are only laptops and a Dell that's at least 8 years old.

I replaced the CMOS caps I could find and now the fans are running again, but still no POST.

Reconnected cables randomly and now it gets to the mobo screen, then switches and gives the "USB Over Current Status Detected" error and shuts down after 15 seconds. It sounds like a problem with Asus motherboards, but I don't know how to activate the BIOS setup or update it or anything. Have tried unplugging the USB cable from the motherboard so that the only USB ports anywhere are the ones already on the motherboard, still the error.

17. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    if its only got 2 pins, then no, no problem. if its a 3 pin, then yes, thats a problem.