1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No budget multimedia/gaming rig build.

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Viceroy, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viceroy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Because it is much more expensive and not much more useful.
  2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    How is it more expensive? The cpu is about the same price, and you can get X58 boards for around the same price as the P55 you picked out. X58 is still the more versatile platform, and so far the only Intel consumer platform that is scheduled to receive 6 core cpus.

So I guess it's worth depends on your intentions. Do you plan to upgrade incrementally, or are you gonna keep a hold of this build until it's obsolete without changing the base components at all over the course of it's life?
  3. Viceroy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh god dammit why do I have to keep going in circles with my CPU choice >:|
  4. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Dont. Easy solution. Stop posting and by whatever the hell you want since you dont want the communities opinion about whats better for price/performance. Your obviously gonna choose whatever you want anyway. Just stop wasting the space.
  5. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:

You don't. I'm just trying to keep you from making a mistake you may regret down the road. So meh, whatever, it's your money, waste it however you see fit. I'm just trying to make sure you aren't basing your decision on wrong ideas or reasons. You asked for our opinions, and I am giving mine.

The only other thing I see that I would change, is the Sony burner. But that's only because I've had really poor luck with them. I have had good luck with Pioneer and LG tho.
    digibucc and Master say thanks.
  6. Viceroy New Member

Thanks Received:
    This entire build is based on other people's opinions I've gathered for over a month. I've gotten hundreds of comments and opinions from dozens of sites, read I-don't-even-know-how-many articles for every conceivable piece of equipment I could buy, read guides and reviews and benchmarks all across the internet, even asked some of my friends and family for advice on this build, and you dare to tell me that I've not done my research because I reject the advice of a single misguided user?

Grow up.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5,2410.html

According to this review the 870 outclasses the 920 with the 750 falling somewhere in-between or close behind. To me this demonstrates that there is no reason to get a system built around a 920 unless I was looking to upgrade to Gulftowns in the near future, which I am not. x58 1366 is a more expensive platform and the only conceivable benefit I can derive is a faster second PCI-e interface, which only matters when going CF/SLI, which I do not plan on doing anytime soon, and even if I do later, the framerate difference between x8x8 and x16x16 is like 3%, and who cares about a 3% drop from 60 FPS, as long as it's smooth?

You can give me your "opinions" all day, and I guess I'm thankful for them, but the hard facts I've seen time and time again demonstrate that the i7 920 is just not the processor for me.

Well it looks like a GREAT burner to me. It does everything at the same speed as my last burner did, for 15 dollars less. 24x write speed for 37 dollars? Yes, please.
  7. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse Crazy Dogmatic Bullsh!t!

Thanks Received:
    Nice way to show your appreciation,

first of all you come into our forums & ask for advice - thats totally fine, BUT when someone voices their opinion which goes against yours (pretty much every TPU members thats kindly taken time to post here & help you out) you've thrown it right back at them.

YET your still looking for confirmation from others because OMG!!! youve wasted a month on re-search, then you throw up a link from tomshardware - who as every one knows & will tell you dont know what their doing half the time when it comes to reviews.

Either listen up or GTFO & stop belittling the users who are trying to help you.

that is all.
  8. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. Sony/NEC Optiarcs are shunned over here due to being crappy.

OP: You think the i7 860 + P55 is the better choice, go for it. It seems just about everyone here thinks the X58 is the better platform (I agree, and the lack of PCI-E lanes on the P55/LGA1156 platform is my reason, not just for CF/SLI reasons), but it isn't like the P55 won't do what you want from it.

Still, you ask for advice, then show zero gratitude (and about zero respect) for the opinions given - Don't expect much more help than what I just typed up above.
  9. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    too much tension for nothing here... At the price your paying the stuff, i7 is like the almost the same price, yet better... do what you wish...
  10. Viceroy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just finished giving the OP a revision. The possibility of an i5 CPU was scrapped, and due to popular user demand, I have allowed a return of the possibility of an i7 920/x58/tri-channel core system build possibility, albeit against my better judgement. Please see the points marked ***New*** for greater detail.

Thank you all very much for your help.
  11. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Except that you are comparing it to the 870, which is much more expensive than the 920. WAYYYYYYYY more expensive. They are $579 on newegg. It better damn well beat the 920. The 920 build, even with the more expensive X58 board is still way cheaper than an 870 build.

But whatever, after reading your revised OP, and since you are essentially counting out upgradeability with your "IRRELEVANT" tags, I don't feel the need to carry on. It's clear you want to save $40-50 now, to sacrifice your overall upgrade path later. More power to you, and good luck with the build. It should prove fast no matter what you choose.
  12. <<Onafets>>

<<Onafets>> New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you're getting RAM for an i7 920 then you have to do it right. Go grab a 3x2GB kit of Corsair Dominator GT's! Get an EVGA X58 mobo too, you'll thank me later.
  13. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Spending over 120$ would be a shame for tri-channel RAM if your looking price/performance...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148246 These can easily go to 1600 cl7-8... GODLY RAM!

Best price/performance board IMO is http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10010410&prodlist=jellyfish

you should really not pressure in by some people saying whats best for you.... you've gotta UNDERSTAND why it is.... maybe harder and longer, but more rewarding and a much better user experience
  14. Viceroy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been considering replacing my current motherboard selection with the EVGA P55 SLI 132-LF-E655-KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard. It is $184 taxed/shipped, which is only 20 dollars more than my current mobo. This one looks to be of higher quality and more feature-rich, though my perspective on motherboards is somewhat limited and I ask for your insight.

Also, I found an Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2C1 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk for $220 taxed/shipped, and at that price I am highly considering implementing it into my overall build. What are your thoughts?
  15. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    i7 920
    6gb Crucial DDR3 ram (usually oc really well)
    5850(or two)
    OCZ vertext 60gb ssd
    2 x 1tb 7200.12 seagates
    Gigabyte UD5 - Good board, but lacks good layout if tri cards is in plan
    Foxconn Blood Rage - Good overclocker
    Biostar Tpowerx58 - Biostar has gotten really good
    DFI LP UT X58 - Fantastic board, lots of options
  16. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    OCZ vertex turbo is a great SSD... The UD3R is almost the same as the ud5 for you... The 6gb Crucial Ram freak is talking about is the one I linked, 5850/70 are great choices and best performance/watt for that power IMO... and the i7 920 D0 IMO should be an obvious choice for your case!

"I think the only logical choice here is to pick from either the 5870, or the 5850. The 5850 is my prime choice for now, due to the huge price advantage and the fact that all the extra power of the 5870 is entirely unnecessary at my chosen resolution" umm... it will still do a pretty good difference
  17. Viceroy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Because once you pass around 35-40 fps, it makes little-no difference. Going from 250 fps to 280 fps is just splitting hairs.
  18. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Meh, to each and his own I guess... I feel safer near 50... but just to tell you, you want to be able to play games later too... which require more GPU power...
  19. Viceroy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, but I'm not interested in being cutting edge all the time. There's millions of games out there, 99.9% of which would be fine with the 5850.
  20. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    again, for now... but if 5850 fit your needs for the time being AND for a reasonable amount of time later, then go for it! You could Xfire it later if you need more power
  21. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    You do realize you completely contradicting yourself here. You say no budget but not excessive so we give you options you say no. :shadedshu
  22. Viceroy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Because I don't like your options. Why so butthurt?
  23. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Or SUGGESTIONS are usually for the best.. but 5850 will do just fine, though 5870 will be better for you in the long run. i7 920 will do you good present and long run for sure...

Don't get mad, all we want to do help ;) else we wouldnt be posting here would we? We are just trying to help you make a right choice
  24. DarkEgo

DarkEgo

Thanks Received:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    lol... I meant VERY easily to 1600 cl7 :D some even take these babies to 2100 cl8 and stuff... After 1600 cl7 though, the benefits aren't seen much