1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No burning programs will work

Discussion in 'General Software' started by kenkickr, Jan 4, 2009.

1. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    About a week ago when I would go to compile a DVD or burn a DVD folder to DVD, Roxio 2009 would start to burn and about 1-2 into the burn Microsoft error message comes up and it says it stopped responding. Well, I tried out DVDFab and before it even goes to burn i get another MS message that DVDFab has stopped responding. I just finished reinstalling Vista on my friends system and he is having the same problem. I have disabled Windows Firewall, shutdown Avast, and even went back to older version of Roxio and DVDFab but with no luck. Has anybody experienced this type of problem with Vista cause I really think it's something from Vista that is causing it because I never had issues with Roxio or DVDFab until over a week ago and it's just funny his system is having the same problem.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I was just thinking of this when sitting on the throne this morning. The only 2 things we have in common with our systems is Vista x64 and ATI/AMD chipsets. He has the 580 and I have the 790FX but I do believe both systems have SB driver 8.12 on them, I know his does and I'm sure I do too. I'm at work right now and my proc is suppose to be here sometime today so I guess I'll play with it tonight and give an update if going back to 8.11 or 8.10 SB driver fixes the problem cause this is just strange.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    He brought his system in this morning and I wiped the system and installed everything except the 8.12 SB drivers...same issue. I cannot figure this out.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Homeless

Thanks Received:
    IDE or SATA burner? Also have you tried using imgburn to burn anything?
  5. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    My system uses Sata Burners and his uses IDE burners so the burners are not the issue. Anyways, on Friday I dual booted his system with XP/Vista x64 and burning in XP is working great!! I have tried with no SB drivers and with drivers but no change in the problem. I am sticking to there is a Vista issue but I'm surprised I see no one else is having the problem.

Also, know he is having problems with most games just not responding but it's not consistent. He can play for a couple hours(Fallout 3) until he gets to some guy that is going to talk about his dad or he can only play for 10-15min(Rainbow Six: Vegas). I've heard there are issues with Fallout 3 and the Realtek codec but it really doesn't resolve the main issue...BURNING. I'm getting pretty tired of working on this problem but my last try is trying a different copy of Vista since we are using the Same Disk but different keys(The last similarity I can think of).
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. allen337

allen337

Thanks Received:
  7. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I use the Vista codec pack so I'll try that out when I get home but one thing is on his system when I first installed Vista I did not install any codec packs. Maybe Roxio installed some cause it does install abunch of sound crap.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    maybe the burner is dying?

edit - just read post 5, not that ^^ then, hmmm
  9. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

Sounds likely. Try another drive. If you don't have an extra, a local PC might let you borrow one to test with.
  10. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I've tried both of mine(SATA) and his IDE burner with no problems in XP but issues on his and my Vista installs. I'm going to throw an 80Gb in mine tonight to screw around with Vista and see what it is going to take to get this working.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Rebo&Zooty

Rebo&Zooty New Member

Thanks Received:
    try imgburn(google it) also try installing the Patin Couffin Access Layer and set imgburn to use that.
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Patin_Couffin_access_layer.htm

Patin Couffin is what i normaly use because it avoids the problems of the windows built in SPID(orwhatever its called) as well as the need to find a 64bit ASPI driver.

all VSO software comes with Patin Couffin such as converxtodvd or blindwrite :)

both imgburn and Patin Couffin are freely avalable, hope this helps :)
  12. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nero is also worth a go ,i use vista x64 and never had any problems burning disks with Nero Lite or ConvertX2DVD.
    They are probably the only 2 i use tbh
  13. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I've tried Nero as well and still the problem persists. I just installed Win 7 Beta last night so going to install Roxio and DVDFab to see what happens.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Rebo&Zooty

Rebo&Zooty New Member

Thanks Received:
    as i said imgburn(freeware no strings) it supports all interface modes with burners, so if its a windows spicific bug with your install/disk u can track that down by trying other options :)
    kenkickr says thanks.
  15. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Rebo. I decided to work on this again since XP and Win 7 burn without issues. Uninstalled Roxio, DVDFAB, and Vista codec; and tried the klite link you posted earlier. Klite found a bunch of corrupted codec's. This morning I installed IMGBURN and burned a copy of an O/S...worked without any issues. Now I have to figure out which one of the programs was the problem.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol I've got the same problem on my desktop pc. The only burner which works is ImgBurn.
    I haven't yet figured out the underlying problem (and don't think ever will), so I just learnt to live with it. Anyway burning with ImgBurn or with whatever, as long as it burns I'm okay. :)

However have a look at my thread where you can see all the stuff I tried... maybe it can help?

Edit: Wait a sec... that was when I was using XP x86.... I haven't ever checked if Nero or anything else works with Vista... or Windows 7 :slap:...
  17. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    @ken

Which games does he have installed in Vista? Any on XP?
  18. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Right now I think he only has Fallout 3 installed but he may have reinstalled Flight Sim X. No games on the XP partition.

Tonight I'm gonna screw around some more and try to get Roxio reinstalled cause to me it has a great mp4 to DVD converter and it just sucks I can't get my DVD projects done.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Interesting. I did have this happen currently but it was crappy SecuROM with NFS Undercover ..

**Shakes fist at EA
  20. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    That's funny you mention NFS Undercover. I have that installed on my system but I was gonna remove it tonight anyways cause it SUCKS!! I'm going back to GRID :D
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I checked yours out and what a pain in the ass yours sounds like! I knew it wasn't a bad burner when I tried it in XP and Win 7 without any issues. With both of my burners, and his, working in XP; it made me believe it was a issue with a Vista update since it worked for months without any problems then one day I couldn't use Roxio or DVDFab. Tonight though I'm going to tackle this hard, like Desmond Clark did last night to McGahee(Steelers vs Ravens) and somebody is going to win...ME.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I think a format is in place cause DVDFab and Roxio did the same damn thing, "Not Responding" either right before burning or during the burn within 5sec. Strange that IMGBURN works fine but anways, I received my other 1Tb drive yesterday and wanted to do some benchies with single drives and RAID 0.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When the same thing happened to me under windows XP I did a repair installation (not a format and clean install) but it didn't fix the problem.
    Perhaps a clean install as you plan to do will do the trick...