1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No Hard Drive for the Wii

Discussion in 'News' started by Jimmy 2004, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Following the success of Nintendo’s Virtual Console for the Wii, which allows gamers to download old games from a number of systems, many users are beginning to find that the 512MB internal memory on the Wii just isn’t enough. As a result, some were hoping that Nintendo might launch a hard drive for the console to let owners store and play Virtual Console games using that. However, Eric Walter from Nintendo America has said the following:
    So it looks like when you run out of space you’ll either need to backup your games onto SD cards and copy them onto the Wii when you want to play them, or you’ll have to visit the Wii store to download them again.

Source: ComputerAndVideoGames.com
  2. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    They don't want you using your PC is the key.....
  3. Fuse-Wire

Fuse-Wire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Scotland, Far away from normality as possible
    i see the point, theres no need to keep cramming the 512mb that comes with it. i agree with nintendo, if you want new stuff then delete the old, once you download a Nintendo games on the online shop then its their for you for FREE whenever you wanted it, gives a chance to try more than Donkey Kong and Sonic!
  4. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Why though?

Sites can go down or when you bring your Wii over to a friend's, they might not have Wi-Fi.

I wish it could read VC games off an SD card, just buy a 4GB and be done with it :)
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Thought you could use a SD or alike card with them ?.. Well Nintendo to me are the only ones out of the 3 XBox PS3 that are a true concole these days.
  6. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    You can, but you need to move the data (VC game, save game, etc) to the Wii's internal memory to use it.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  7. Helvetica New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does anybody here actually use their wii for wii games? and if so, which?
  8. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    Naw, this is Nintendo being lazy. With today's flash prices, the added price of going to a gig or even 2 gigs isn't significant. Since there's those new 16gb chips, they really don't have much excuse. But from a business standpoint, keeping it the same for all consoles and not having Wii v2 or whatnot makes a lot of sense.
  9. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    I wouldnt think a HDD would be viable and worth it for Nintendo. SD cards are so dirt cheap and even the high capacity ones, that it just makes sense to use that. Besides, pull it off the SD card to a folder on the pc. Retrieve when you want it.
  10. hacker111

hacker111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    definately needs a hard drive 512 mb? lol... can't even download poker or solitare on the system....sucks