1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No LAN or Dedicated Server support for C&C4: Tiberian Twilight

Discussion in 'Games' started by shk021051, Feb 22, 2010.

1. shk021051 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It’s been revealed that Command & Conquer 4 will not support LAN or Dedicated Servers when it is released on PC next month.

Apparently, Tiberian Twilight will not make use of such things because of the global player progression system, said lead designer Sam Bass.

“[The system] has single-player, multiplayer and skirmish and all the information stored in a server,” he told D’toid. “So if you go to another machine, friend’s house, Internet cafe, whatever, you can log-in with your profile and all the stuff you’ve unlocked is accessible to you there.

“It all lives on a server so you can’t really do dedicated servers with that.”

Multiplayers should also know that EA has invested in a new networking system that is “a lot more solid, and a lot more modern” than the previous one. Therefore, getting into a game will be much easier than it was with previous iterations of the series.

The game’s out on March 16 and 19 in the US and Europe, respectively, and it has been said that it will appeal to both strategy fans and FPS gamers this time around.
  2. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    OF COURSE you can still do dedicated servers while maintaining a centralized database! And what would be the problem with starting from scratch for some LAN gaming?

LIES all LIES! ANYTHING to justify the END of dedicated server gaming?

This needs to stop.
  3. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    zomg like a dev is screwing over the pc audience with a shit-tastic pc game release?? in my 2010?? Thats unheard of!! :rolleyes:
  4. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    It could be an argument for some people. Though I would hardly consider it a valid reason to leave the functionality out. It is worrisome that more and more games leave out LAN functionality and force active internet connections.
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    well duh, of course it wont have dedicated servers. no RTS does.

Theres no reason to remove LAN either, you can be signed in for MP, and then the lan options appear - or you dont have access to unlocks when offline (thus making the pirates buy teh game, due to 'missing' content)
  6. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Well, not dedicated as in a system that hosts the game without being a client as well. Though private (match making) servers are available for some.
  7. kid41212003

kid41212003

Thanks Received:
    It's just a matter of time. People already made virtual offline servers (server emulator) for MMORPG games. It's not harder to make for games with smaller players count.

Harassing people that actually bought the games, but what it actually does to pirates? Nothing.
  8. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    there never was a host in any RTS game, its always a lobby based system (as in, the host starts a lobby and picks settings) - from then on its peer to peer.

Stating that they removed a feature thats never been present in any RTS games is just... weird
  9. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    That is what I said yes. The largest (but unofficial) example would be pvpgn.
  10. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    The worst thing is that their putting the same DRM sheme as Assassin's Creed 2.

The game will require active internet connection for playing.

I'm getting Supcom 2. F##K'N EA.
  11. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, because it's impossible to store player data on dedicated servers. :rolleyes:

I'm really getting sick of this no dedicated server bullshit. Dedicated servers are the heart of online gaming. I can only imagine shitty lag coming from servers hosted by avarage joe... small internet connections and weak hardware are a no go. It's like bringing a knife to a gun fight.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    Its not like its gonna be a good game anyway, don't get your panties in a bunch. And no RTS to my knowledge has ever had dedicated servers, its pointless. But no LAN play is stupid.
  13. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    I KNOW!

its getting so frustrating seeing people whine about how they removed something that never existed >.<

(maybe its just because i'm a hardcore RTS gamer at heart)
  14. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    Tiberium Twilight in beta had no lag but lets look at the game in beta

pros
    it looks nice

cons
    no base building
    no resources/tiberium
    a horrible level/rank system
    unitspam

why complain about servers when the game is a complete mess(mainly cause they fired the team behind C&C).
  15. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    ... no base building? did they go DoW2 style?
  16. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    No LAN? WTH is going on? First Red Alert 3 expansion had no LAN play, soon as i heard it had none i didn't get the game. Then Diablo 3 has no LAN (but ill still buy it) and now the new C&C 4? This is what these games do best and i play in Competitions at my local LAN in C&C3 and now we cant even do that with this new release? This is starting to get beyond a joke :shadedshu

Edit: No base building? and no harvesting for tiberium? omg......i think they just lost a customer......
  17. TVman

TVman New Member

Thanks Received:
    who would have known!, another dumb down and crappy game from EA
  18. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    They finally did it, they completely, and i mean COMPLETELY ruined the game.:toast:

I played C&C since the very first game, i even played the demo of the first C&C in 1995, who would know then that 15 years later i would play the beta of C&C 4.:shadedshu

I dont understand the people behind this games, why the titan and the mammoth mkII are in C&C4 but not in C&C3, what happened to ion storms, the mutants, those really cool civilian structures, why the carryall is in NODs hands in C&C3, why this, why that, i guess they were all smoking weed when they did the game> I SEE... CARRYALL... ... KANE IN IT ... ... ... SHOUTING TO GDI... ...THANKS SUCKERS!!! < sarcastic comment, not necessarely reflecting EA employees actual ideas.

The last good C&C game i played was RA2, Generals was not worth the C&C title.

No base, no harvesting, no C&C at all, WTF!

Good bye C&C, good bye NFS good bye Sonic:(

maybe if we wait another 15 years, mmmm...:rolleyes:
  19. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    well the C&C team did try to suicide C&C themselves with some bad titles but EA fired em and went like "We'll kill it for ya" and now the game is ruined so yeah.

but it didn't lag, you gotta give that to em.