1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No Monitor but everything else powers up

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by HelmkaD, Sep 21, 2006.

1. HelmkaD New Member

Thanks Received:
    I recently built a computer, and had the unfortunate luck of having a dead mobo. I got a new mobo(ASUS P4S800D-X) today, which required me to also get a new video card(Nvdia GeForce FX 5200 AGP 8X). Everything(HD,CD,DVD-ROMs, Fans, lights) powers up, but my monitor recieves no signal. I've tried switching the RAM to different slots, I've disconnected everything but one stick of PC3200 DDR 512MB RAM, the video card(as the board has no onboard video), the CPU/HSF. I've tried 2 different monitors that I know work. Everything is plugged in and seated properly, and compatible to the best of my knowledge. Still no signal to the monitor.

SPECS:
    500W Ultra Power Supply with dual fans
    ASUS P4S800D-X motherboard
    Intel Pentium 4 2.8Ghz CPU with thermaltake(?) heatsink and fan
    Patriot PC3200 DDR 512 RAM(1 stick)
    Nvidia GeForce FX5200 AGP 8X video card
    80GB Western Digital HD
    CD Burner
    DVD-ROM
    Thermaltake VC2000 Mambo case with fan

Any ideas? I'm losing it!
  2. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    Bad Psu?
  3. HelmkaD New Member

Thanks Received:
    brand new PSU, and it like I said everything powers up but the monitor stays in standby
  4. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    If your computer beeps more then once before booting, I think you have a dead graphics card. If your computer beeps once before booting, you either have a dead motherboard, a bad monitor, or some crazy cable issue. See if you can borrow a monitor, and plug it into the D-SUB (VGA) port. If the motherboard still stays dark, then you definitely have a dead motherboard/video card.
  5. HelmkaD New Member

Thanks Received:
    It beeps once on startup, the HD spins, the CD/DVD drives turn on, the motherboard has a power light that comes on and it's brand new as of today, I'm positive the mobo is not dead. Graphics card is brand new as of today, I'm positive it is also not dead. What are the possibilities of RAM issues?

P.S.
    I have also tried an untested stick of Samsung PC2700 256MB DDR
    The Patriot PC3200 DDR is also brand new
  6. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    One beep means the system thinks it's fine, so you can safely eliminate the motherboard as having problems, and RAM won't stop your system from posting something on screen. Video card and bad monitor will. That one beep means your motherboard detected a video card, so I'm pretty sure you have a bad monitor...see what you can do about borrowing a monitor from a friend. If that monitor works, then you have a bad monitor, and if it doesn't, you have a bad video card. Either way you're out a bit of money :p.
  7. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    there is a manual with the board there the beeps are explainend
    it might be the small power connector? 4pin?
  8. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    have you tried a diff video card??? that would be a 1st check for me or you could try the gfx card on another mobo
  9. HelmkaD New Member

Thanks Received:
    the monitor also guaranteed working as I have 2 and they work on my other PC. I cannot find anything about the beep codes in the mobo manual. I was grounded when I installed everything, and the only non-new item was the Intel CPU, but the pins are straight and it is seated properly. I have read of lots of people having problems with their monitor running from the AGP FX5200. But surely there is a solution besides pouring more money into it.
  10. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    well if you get a diff card i vote that you take the hsf off the 5200 and oc the card till it liquifies and make a video of it
  11. HelmkaD New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried the working video card and monitor from my other machine and got the same result, monitor goes to standby. Also the 5200 has a heatsink but did not come with a fan I don't think this would solve the problem though.
  12. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    I think you solved the problem yourself...if the video card works in other machine, then the video card works fine. If the monitor works on another computer, then it works fine. If the monitor works plugged into the video card on the other computer, then both are fine. That leaves you with a dead motherboard...did you remember to put the risers/spacers on the motherboard? :laugh:.
  13. HelmkaD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes the risers are in, the motherboard is seated properly. The New video card(GeForce 5200FX) puts my other working machine on standby as well. However that machine has on-board video so I hooked up to that and can install the GeForce drivers from Windows. The new board ASUS P4S800D-X does not have on-board video to allow me this setup option though.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  14. HelmkaD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I switched everything b/w my two machines. Including the CPUs. The new CPU did not work in my old comp. The old CPU did not work in my new comp. Upon replacing the old CPU back in to the old comp(original configuration), the old comp posts, but just goes to a black screen instead of booting windows. Now I am computer-less, I need help.
  15. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    that sucks, sell both and get a new one if you can :)
  16. HelmkaD New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got the message Bad CMOS Checksum. Is this a lost cause?
  17. pt

pt not a suicide-bomber

Thanks Received:
    did you try reset it?
  18. Agility

Agility

Thanks Received:
    Get a PCI graphic card in your new computer so you can boot up and still see your desktop. Then install the Nvidia Card Driver. And i wonder why did you transfer everything to an old mobo. Itchy hand?
  19. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    no not realy a lost cause make sure both computers are back to their original config then reset the cmos by popping out the battery on the mobo that should fix your bad cheksum error in your old machine iv gotten that alot. it may fix your new comp too who knows but agility had a good idea to get a pci card if you have one ad see if it will boot with that.
  20. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    No silly, bad CMOS checksum means that your CMOS is cleared...enter setup and reconfigure everything :).
  21. HelmkaD New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did go into setup and set to defaults, but it still wouldn't boot into windows. I broke down and took it to the shop this morning. Hope to be up and running this afternoon. Thanks for all the help.
    -Daniel