1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No New GPUs from AMD for the Bulk of 2013

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Feb 10, 2013.

1. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I'm an enthusiast. Of course I agree. However, like I said, what WE do, isn't what everyone does.

Talking to local people from 18-24, most use their smart phones. About 60% own a game console. about 70% have a PC. 100% have a smart phone. Not ONE of them uses consoles for anything but gaming. Not even movie watching..Netflix up here sucks, and we all get better service via our cable providers. I get Netflix on my cable box.

Those that own a PC...still sit on the couch, phone in hand, usually texting, and then browsing and doing other stuff on the phone between texts.

That's just a small sampling of the market. It doesn't denote what everyone does with their devices. That's just who I talk to.

Talk to my wife, her friends and such all have PCs, 15% have consoles, 90% have PCs. 100% have a smartphone.

The market is a wide and varied place, where there truly is no "standard" by which anyone uses their devices. Period. How many billions of people are on the planet? And they all use their devices like you do? I think not...and I know better.

Looking at the big picture, there's much reason for AMD to only release new GPUs for that most popular markets, and those are smartphones, and consoles. Consoles they have taken care of...but smartphones...that's NVidia's turf. I would like to see AMD there, too.

2. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    Nvidia is a small player in Smartphones and getting smaller both in Tablets and Phones. It was only able to get 1 smartphone HTC One X and then the updated HTC One X+. The HTC M7 will now carry a Qualcomm chip not a Tegra.

So its 0 smartphones for both AMD and Nvidia as of now 2013.

Tablets:
    Google Nexus
    Microsoft Windows Surface RT
    Sony Xperia

Those 3 decided to go with Qualcomm for there next release.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
    cadaveca says thanks.
  3. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    I don't think so. None of my over-30 friends (all of whom are married) use their Xbox primarily for gaming. Most use it primarily as a netflix/etc hub with some gaming on the side like I do.

I'd believe that most teenagers use their consoles for gaming, but from my experience (and from reports that more time is spent non-gaming than gaming on consoles), I don't think game consoles are used primarily for gaming by a good chunk of people anymore.

4. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    What about the Asus TF? They still use Tegras.

5. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    And they are awesome.

6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Pretty sure he's talking about new and upcoming products. Going by reviews, the last two revisions of Tegra are pretty fail compared to the competition.

7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Well yeah I figured as much but I was talking about the next gen of Asus TF. I was wondering if he had heard anything.

8. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    They havent announced refreshes to products. The most recent refreshes are Lenovo and Toshiba that still use Tegra 3.

Only tablet officially using Tegra 4 is a Vizio. Rumoured to have refreshes on Tegra 4 are Asus and Acer. No matter how you look at it there footprint in tablets is down more then 50%. They had over 9 products in tablets lost 3 to Qualcomm and only 1 has officially announced adaptation of Tegra 4.

MWC will tell us more if they loose more to competition or renew contracts.

9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    That's not good news at all for NVIDIA. No consoles, losing mobile market. They better get it together.

10. HumanSmoke

HumanSmoke

Thanks Received:
    Consoles are great for revenue, but the margins are pretty thin. All good for AMD since they basically pull in money while the console makers, foundry and ODM sort out the manufacture and supply.
    As for the mobile market and Nvidia, the Tegra 4 is a stop gap chip between Tegra 3 and the ARM Cortex A50 (ARMv8) based Tegra 5, solely to provide a continued presence in the marketplace.

Note: Vizio won't be the only user of Tegra 4 (HP for example), even if the chip is a short-timer. A few large OEM wins usually trump a raft of smaller wins.

11. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    @TheMailMan78

Jen mentioned a Asus tablet that uses Tegra 4 in the Earnings Report Confress Call. He only mentioned that one by name and alluded to more.
    Tegra 4 ramps in Q2 so Q3 2013 they should be coming to market.

12. Fluffmeister

Fluffmeister

Thanks Received:
  13. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    Year over Year is nice

Quarter to Quarter its bad.

Operating expenses continue to climb and now they consolidating FR to 2 sections to minimize bad outlook. Basickly if one division does bad a good division with in that sector can balance it out now while going forward in reports from this quater on out. Just have to dig through the numbers to figure out which division is doing poorly and which one isnt.

Revenue = -8.1%
    Gross Margin = Flat
    Operating Expenses = +4.6%
    Net Income = -16.8%
    Earnings Per Share = -15.2%

14. HumanSmoke

HumanSmoke

Thanks Received:
    Not surprising considering the last quarter was a record for Nvidia.

Revenue for FY13 : $4.28 bn (up from $4 bn last year)
    Profit for the quarter: $174 million (takes into account Nvidia buying back $100 million of its shares- basically Nvidia using the Intel settlement to buy back the company. Nice.)
    Stock share dividend total paid out: $46.9 million

Pity you don't spend the same amount of effort in dissecting AMD's quarterly returns- in fact the sum total of your AMD analysis amounts "not doing as good as Nvidia" ...followed by, wait for it -more Nvidia numbers!
    I'll add to the numbers you posted...
    Q4 2011 - $116 million profit
    Q1 2012 - $ 60 million profit
    Q2 2012 - $119 million profit
    Q3 2012- $209 million profit
    Q4 2012- $174 million profit
    All while buying back company shares, and having $3.1 billion in cash and short term investments on hand.
    Yup, looks like a company circling the drain :rolleyes:

15. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    I never said it was circling the drain but its not immune to PC market trends. It just happened to hit other companies sooner.
    That same argueement is beated to death by that Ashraf dude over at SeekAlpha. How the company should be valued more then it is. Its actually very funny.

Nvidia CFOs outlook was at best FLAT or NEGATIVE outlook for next Q. So if you have a problem with the numbers take it up with Nvidia.
    Better yet go buy some more GPUs.

:)

So far the market didnt like the report. 12.66 1hr before closing & the report. Closed at 12.37. After hours its 12.18

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  16. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Ouya is Tegra 3....seems Nvidia is getting into the console market as well :roll:

DannibusX says thanks.
  17. HumanSmoke

HumanSmoke

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, what a hoot:
    Maybe the Ashraf dude and the rest of the world might have more knowledge than random internet troll. Personally I won't believe it until it features on Mythbusters...although I'd note that this is an AMD thread...and of the FOURTEEN posts you've made in it EVERY SINGLE ONE is about Nvidia, and ONLY TWO even feature references to AMD.

Pretty standard SOP for tech companies. AMD beat the forecast last quarter, and look what happened on the day the financials came out:
    [​IMG]

18. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    I beleive I was replying to post that have already been made.

I do find it humorous that pointing to Nvidia Quarterly numbers makes you this upset. :laugh:

If you want to follow Ashraf advise be my guest. Like this gem he made going into CES 2013
    What did the stock do during CES 2013 ?
    01/08/2013 12.8 Open
    01/11/2013 12.09 Close
    Hes perfect for selling hype. Read the comments left by others. He bought a Nvidia GPU and is in love with that company. See any similarities in you ? ;)

!!!WARNING!!! More numbers you wont like
    Nvidia Q4 FY 2013 Summary
    Weird since the buy back you referance is suppose to help ESP its down year over year :confused:
    *Might want to read the fine print on that. Over a 10yr period and subject to change at Nvidia discreation

If you look at Q/Q
    GPU = Down 6.9%
    Tegra = Down 14.6%
    Total = Down 8.1%
    ^ and thats with the new consolidation structure.

I'm not saying its the end all be all but you can't even put it into context because your too busy raging over anything that doesnt praise Nvidia. This is coming off 2012 Holiday sales for 600 series and a year ago they were off-loading 500 series getting ready for GTX 680 release with all the rumors of how they were going to counter the 7970 with the GK100 that still hasnt come.

19. ChaoticAtmosphere

ChaoticAtmosphere

Thanks Received:
    Gah! :wtf:

20. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I nearly choked on my Coke.

jmcslob says thanks.
  21. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    It's looking good too!

Games like Stargate unleashed are what I'm looking forward to.

As far as I'm concerned I could care less if AMD or Nvidia stopped making PC GFX's tomorrow....I think little boxes like Ouya are the future...but I still think Ouya will flop..LOL

EDIT: Oh yeah Stargate Unleashed will only be available via Ios and Android.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  22. HumanSmoke

HumanSmoke

Thanks Received:
    I presume you are unable to comprehend what is written- merely what you want to think is there so that you can continue to troll.
    You seem to have a love affair with the guy- that's twice you've mentioned him...while I haven't mentioned, or otherwise linked to the guy. Want to keep attributing falsehoods and innuendo? I'm happy to let the moderators handle it.

And before you start lecturing people on financials, maybe you should learn something about how to interpret them :slap: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

23. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Enough with the financials and eveyone's interpretations of such. Only and last warning:)

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. Ultraman1966 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So back on topic, AMD is wise to not bother releasing any new GPUs. As much as I love progression there's simply not going to be enough new games that will take full advantage of better hardware until the next next gen of consoles arrive. It's said but after all these years I've come to accept those terms.

25. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    I could get behind a two year GPU cycle. I upgrade GPUs every two years anyway.

Crunching for Team TPU