1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No news in any other section than news?

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by JC316, Oct 4, 2007.

1. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Erm, something seems wrong with that to me. Since there are only a select few people with the right to post the news in the news section, then alot of information is going to go unheard.

There is no way that Jimmy, Zek, Wazzle, malware and Jackz5o is going to be able to keep up with all of the tech news out there.

I always liked reading the news that hellas posted, but now I see that theonetruewill's post got locked, because there is "no news except in the news section".

I understand not letting people post in the news section because it appears on the front page, but whats wrong with it going into the General nonsense sections?
  2. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you want to post news often, apply to be a news poster. Otherwise the occasional link to a news story is fine.

Hellas was a different situation.
  3. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    The reason for the crackdown is to get the message across, don't worry, I'm not usually this temperamental :p.
  4. JC316

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, thats nearly all he posted, I don't know why they didn't make him a news poster anyway. I don't like to post news, but I do like to read it in the general nonsense, or the area that it's news to.
  5. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I with JC on the matter of theonetruewill's post. It wasn't news per se, but more of information. It's like if someone went and linked a website of a c2d review when it came out. What he posted was information....Hellas, that was almost spamming, but not quite that bad.

So fI'd ask a mod to please unlock the thread about Barcelona benchmarks seeing as it's not news per se. Once again...it's information about benchmarks. Also it's just another benchmark, just like when you or I run 3d mark....just about a brand spanking new chip. Also, I'd like to see mods loosen up a little about these "not news" threads....now if someone starts spamming like Hellas, that's a different story.
  6. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    Alright, I'll loosen up...sorry for the troubles.
    pt, kwchang007 and JC316 say thanks.
  7. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    We did for a while but it didn't work out.
  8. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    I doubt this belongs in this thread, but here's some feedback if you want it.
    Ok, I guess to get semi on topic towards this thread, I like TPU's news section because it gives the good tidbits of whats goin' on. I've been going to engadget alot lately, and I like the humor they add in their news posts, but they add ALOT of news per day, while you guys keep it down to a realistic level. Only small gripe I've got with the news here is how many times do we need to hear about new Kingston memory modules? It seems like randomly there will be 2-3 news stories on new RAM, and it's usually Kingston. Are they payin' TPU for ads or something?! :laugh:
    While I'm at it, something about the forums here is that they are pretty good because everyone is generally civil, but the random threads about "i farted" or "i like pizza" or the countless "clubhouses" tend to be pretty annoying when seen in the "latest posts" section on the front page. To help the site grow, people usually come here for tech advice, not whether or not their re-heated pizza will be any good. It'd be kinda cool to have a revised "latest posts" section on the front page so that it separates general nonsense and relevant threads. I dunno if it'd be confusing or not for most people, but it might help people looking for help. Just a thought. :toast:
  9. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I agree completely, unfortunately we are the minority in that opinion. It's good to know I'm no the only one that gets sick of those threads though.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  10. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Maybe "General Nonsense" threads should/could be removed from the front page. They realy don't reflect the knowledge or ability of the support on this site anyways.

:toast:
  11. JC316

Thanks Received:
    I am actually in that group too. Why so damned many clubhouses and random threads? Come on Sploosh should have us covered for randomness. There is IRC for chatting in a clubhouse.
  12. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why not create two "recent posts" panels?
    One for actual news and hardware/software threads and another for general nonsense and other less frequented sections of the forums.
  13. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Things start getting pretty crowded on the page with that many panels.
  14. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi FatForester
    I want to reply to your thoughts.
    There're some major differences between us and your particular example Engadged. We're strictly hardware and gaming related, which means computer related...we're not allowed to post stories about yet another Razor bicycle, home theater set, gadget or a person who likes tattoos of Zune. On the other hand we also specialize in hardware reviews, we work with sponsors and big manufacturers who provide all the hardware for us. The least we can do is introduce their new products to the audience, you readers. That's why you see so many new RAM kits, and hardware components released, again we're hardware community after all. If you think seriously for a minute you'll see that I'm right.
    Kingston does not pay us for any of their news releases, although I wish they could. :) It's a coincidence thay you constantly bring Kingston news to your attention.
    Finally, I don't like the whole nonsense forum thread/posts too...that's why this section is forbiden for me. I find it very childish, but that's my personal opinion. I'm not interested....I don't go there, I don't complain, it's as simple as that.
  15. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, I do agree with you. Engadget does have some pretty stupid "news" that I just end up skimming over. You guys find the juicy tid-bits to save people time from having to search themselves. I guess the only thing I was saying is it's kinda funny to see some good news then random stuff about memory modules. Seems out of place, but you do what you gotta do to keep TPU running!