1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No POST after uninstalling video drivers

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by acousticlemur, Dec 13, 2006.

1. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok, i downloaded the omega drivers for my radeon 9600XT. went into the add remove programs and clicked on the ati software removal utility, all was fine. it uninstalled everything and said you must restart your computer just like it always does. but after it restarted there was no POST!!!! i turn it on and nothing happens. the fans and lights turn on, the hard drives spin up, and that is it!!! i have tried everything i could think of from resetting the cmos to taking out the battery for a few min. i even went as far as to take everything out of the case and unplug everything from the motherboard. and still nothing. any ideas???????? :banghead: :cry:
  2. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Try to pull the video card out boot it, then shut it down and put the card back in.

Random thought...
  3. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
  4. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    i tried that, and i tried putting my nvidia card in too, but nothing....
  5. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    try clearing the motherboard cmos. if that doesnt work, strip down your system to the bare minimum components to run
  6. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    i tried that too, that is why i posted this..... i moved the cmos jumper, nothing, removed the battery on the mobo, nothing.....im running outa ideas......i unplugged everything from the mobo but the hard drive ,vid card, processor and memory and still nothing
  7. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    It seems like the drivers you put in, just arent compatible with your card, which is a shame because omega drivers are kick ass. If you have onboard video or a pci graphics card, try using that, using Driver Cleaner PRo, removing all residue of the drivers, rebooting, reinstalling ATIs latest or Omegas previous version to what you installed and see if that helps. Its not a regular thing but omega drivers arent officially supported by ATI and have been known to cause problems like this.

-The Eagle
  8. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Drivers arn't used before os boot though... So what did he do to his mobo or video card is the question at this point..
  9. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    i wouldnt think a simple driver uninstall would render a computer useless........kinda odd,is there anything else that may have happened?
  10. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    When you rebooted, your bios may have been locked temporarily into looking for another video card, I have seen stuff like that.

Do you have a standard PCI video card laying around or onboard video?
    On a bios reset I hope your card doesn't need a higher voltage turn on signal than what your bios gives it by default. I forget the numbers but isn't it like 1.5 and 1.6 on AGP anyways?
  11. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    no, nothing else happened that i know of. i found the new drivers from omega, downloaded them. after they were downloaded i uninstalled the previous ati catalyst 10 drivers and utility from add remove programs using the ati software uninstall utility. and after it asked me to reboot. i clicked on yes and went to check on the food i was cookin at the time, came back a few min later and it was at a black screen and my hdd light was solid but no hdd noise. i hit num lock and caps lock to see if the lights would change on my keyboard and nothing so i held in the power button till it turned off. and since then i have tried everything i can think of. tried using only the processor memory vid card and hard drive. tried diff memory. dif agp video cards. i thought i had an old pci one to try but it is ISA!! haha old ass stuff. the fan on the vid cazrd turns on so i know the agp slot is getting power and i can feel it heating up a bit w/o the card fan on. i had the processor OC'd a bit, from 1.8 to 2.4 is it possible that it could have just given out? it never got over 120f or 130f so it didnt over heat and i didnt move the voltage beyond it's max. im clueless, but thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming....
  12. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    i figured a simple cmos clear would help,but it didnt?...odd:toast:
  13. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like it did give out, if you don't get any lights, its not passing even the most basic of startup features. No hard drive clicking is a bad sign, but if you literally unplugged and plugged everything back in and its still no good, thats a bad sign.
  14. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    not the processor, i just put it in my roomies computer and it booted just fine. yeah i moved the jumper to clear it but when i hit the power button with it moved it wont turn on. but as soon as i put it back to default it turns right on...
  15. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    the hard drives both spin up and make thier noises but no post or anything on the screen.
  16. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    mobo issue not proc issue, although it could have fried the proc.. but being you tested it I would say not.
  17. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    good chance you blew mobo when you did that. You should never hit power when cmos jumper is in reset position.
  18. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah but the inital problem was way before i did that
  19. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah ok, however, the clear cmos jumper is used to release charge on cmos loadup. It is basicaly a short, so when you power up with jumper in reset you short out mobo. Always just move jumper then move back then power up. So Ok I look at it some more.
  20. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try unplugging HDD and see if it will POST.
  21. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    did that one too
  22. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, but it wont boot or post, which means it could not be recognizing his video card. Everything else on it spins up (fans, HDs, etc) It could lock the bios if it doesnt sense a video card.
  23. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    How long have you had that mobo? I mean, I find it rather difficult that uninstalling drivers and installing the omegas cause your mobo to fry. I dont think you downloaded a virus that wreaked havoc on your pc. It has to do with that, only thing that really makes sense. Unless you indeed did fry your mobo or it gave out. I say that, because the proccie worked in your friends cpu. Try all your other stuff (vid card, sound card, optical drives and hard drives) in your friends cpu. If they work, time to get a new mobo.
  24. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have had it since jan 05. and i didnt even get to install the new ones this happened on the reboot after uninstalling the ati drivers...
  25. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    still nothing. i checked the mobo for bad traces, nothing (that i could see anyway) tried every config of hardware unplugged pluged in, tried each ram stick individually in each of the 4 slots, checked the processor (still good) only thing i can think is that the mobo took a shi8 on me. really sucks.....any other suggestions?