1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No post beeps, no video, no usb?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tilldeath, Feb 20, 2012.

1. tilldeath New Member

Thanks Received:
    CPU: AMD 8150
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3
    PSU: 1000W Ultra X3
    RAM: 2x4GB 2133 Gskill Sniper
    GPU: MSI 7950

Like the title says no post beep, no video, no keyboard/mouse. Fans are spinning and leds are on, gpu fan spinning. Cleared CMOS, checked battery, standoffs, connections, cpu mount and pins, ran 1 slot ram and have confirmed both sticks work. WTF! Any ideas? I'm thinking MOBO. Any ways to test with out swapping everything out individually ie. psu, seperate GPU, different CPU etc...?:banghead:
  2. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Do you have a different AM3/AM3+ CPU to test? If so try that, otherwise it's the mobo. Make sure everything is properly plugged in and double check all the jumpers in case one of them came mysteriously set incorrectly (it's happened to me before).
  3. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a dead board to me.
  4. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    exact same thing happened to me, it turned out to be a dead mobo... Try all your stuff on another mobo to make sure
  5. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    Friend was in the exact situation, turned out to be his VGA cable. Yep, we tried everything, PSU, video card, ram, then we just tried my whole system on his monitor... bingo.

SO try it at someone else's place to see if its the monitor or cable.
  6. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    Not quite sure of the writing.
    Does the system worked before? Or is it happened after installing the FX-8150?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. tilldeath New Member

Thanks Received:
    nope, new build.
  8. Daimus

Daimus

Thanks Received:
    If new build, most likely need a BIOS update that supports FX. Many times, met with such a problem. You need any AM3 to flash the latest BIOS.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    After looking, you are right.

@tildeath

Pickup a Sempron 1x0 to flash the bios. If you still get no post I would rma the board.
    Daimus says thanks.
  10. rhino

rhino

Thanks Received:
    Similar thing.

This is the third case of this in a fortnight, I had it too. Everything on but nothing to the monitor, set up an new rig with same stuff but a different board and all good. Something blocking the mainboard. Old school tekkies say there's no such thing as malware that does the mainboard in however it didn't do itself in.
  11. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    I had exactly the same thing with a higher-end model/variation (GA-990FXA-UD5).
    It appears that some (all?) GA-990FXA-UD* mobos have an old BIOS out-of-the-box. Old enough /not/ to support the AMD FX line. So basically - You need to get a AM3 CPU, flash Your BIOS, and then put Your FX 8150 back. (see the CPU support list @ Gigabyte website.)
    (That's exactly what I did. And after flashing the BIOS it worked perfectly.)
    It's a shame, though. BIOS revisions to support AM3+ CPUs came out more than half a year ago, yet people still get mobos with outdated versions, this way putting us into a frustrating situation.

EDIT: sorry for post redundancy - it took me a while to write this.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. tilldeath New Member

Thanks Received:
    I pray this is the case, I'll try to get a hold of an am3 processor to check. :toast:
  13. dean1959 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am having the same issue with a system that I have been running for over a year. I have the Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 and have been running a fx 8120 with liquid cooling. 16gig memory. 2 Older ati hd 4350's. I started to see my temp rising on my cpu, so went to bios and saw that my voltages on cpu was showing 130w. I adjusted it down and was okay. Last week temp started going up so I checked bios and it showed 141w. I adjusted it down and haven't gotten video again. I put a fx8320 on and still nothing. I reseated everything and still nothing. I don't have any keyboard function either. I hope I don't have to replace the board.

Was there ever a resolution to this?

Deane
  14. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Prob a bios flash. Make sure GPU is seated or try other PCIE slot. Make sure memory are in the correct dimms and memory is compatable. where do you live? Maybe a TPU member with older AM3+ processor is close by.