1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

no real gain with 580 over 2 gtx 280s in blackops

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Blueacid, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Blueacid New Member

Thanks Received:
    I thought putting in a gtx 580 would allow me to run all settings on max in Black Ops. 16AA and the works. however upon testing it out im getting near the same performance as my old sli 280s. the 280s might of even been better.

Could it be my processor bottlenecking things? I have a core 2 duo at 4.25ghz. Think because its not quad core its causing this?

2. Marineborn

Marineborn New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah your bottlenecking the crap out of that card, and were most likely bottle necking the crap out of the slid 280;s this of this. blacks ops is pretty much a dam port, now look what graphics cards the consoles have, exactly, i mean yeah black ops has some minor diffrences for the pc, but nothing to make it break a 580 for crap sake

3. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    ^^ That and a GTX 580 is really really close in performance to the dual 280's... In fact, i dont think there will be much of a difference at all, except in certain situations.

4. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    yeah, that would be equal plus minus from your 280 SLi. 480 was plus minus to the 295.

The good side, is that you'll consume lesser power, emit less heat, have no SLi profile related issues, quieter, DX11, and up to date support from drivers and game patches.

Overclock the 580 as well. You can reach 900 core with it on minimum voltage increase. The fps gain is significant.

5. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Also, Black Ops isn't a particularly GPU demanding game.

6. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    nope and thats an understatement

i have a question tho its fps limited in its config file
    and with 1 gtx 260 you should be able to max it its a bit poo in terms of gfx i can get way over 200fps if i tweek its ini file

More than 25k PPD