1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No Reboot After Altering Bios Settings !!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by oily_17, Feb 28, 2008.

1. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Well I have a small problem with my motherboard in my new PC build.
    Here is the problem - when I go into the bios to OC and then hit "F10 to Exit And Save Changes" the board will not POST again,it just shuts down then restarts with all fans ( CPU and GPU ) spinning at full speed but does not go the stage where they step down in speed and POST.

BUT here is the part that is bugging me.If I then hold down the power switch to turn the board off and switch the PSU off and then on again it will boot with the changes I made in the bios.Not a big deal really but just annoying.

I hope you follow what I mean there.Here are my specs -

Asus Maximus Extreme motherboard
    Patriot Viper Fin DDR3 1600MHz RAM
    E6850 CPU >>>> Thanks to Infrared
    PC Power&Cooling Silencer 750 PSU >>>> Thanks to Infrared

Anyone any ideas on fixing this? Not sure if it's related to a setting in bios or just seems to be problem with Asus boards.
  2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Are you using the LCD post thingy? Where is it getting hung?

If I make a lot of changes in my Formula's bios, after I save and exit, it shuts down completely, then restarts. Then it usually takes a few extra seconds to post. How long have you let it go?
  3. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I just plugged it in there now and when I make changes it shuts down and then about 2 seconds later restarts with all fans at full power and stays there.
    The read out says EN SETUP,I have let the fans spin for about a minute or so.

EDIT:After I do the PSU on/off thingy it boots straight to Windows and if I "Restart" from Windows it will reboot OK
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like it may just be a BIOS bug.
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have that randomly happen to me as well. I can't wait for a bios that is better than 0907, or 903 whichever one works for you.:)
  6. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Yeah thats what I'm thinking,seems to get stuck at the "EN SETUP" and not going back to "INNIT CPU" .
    Have tried the latest bios 1001 and still a no go but I can live with it for now,hopefully will get sorted in later bios.

Anyway still trying to fathom the settings on this board, as it is my first Intel build,may take me awhile to find where everything is.

@ erocker How do you find the Zalman cooler?,might have to get a decent air cooler to tide me over till I get my water setup going,on stock cooler at the moment.
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  7. Dac3062 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am also working on my first Intel build with a q6600 and ASUS P5N32-E SLI.
    I was coasting google for some bios info and found your post here.
    In my manual ( in my case, possibly not yours) on my motherboard there is a jumper labeled
    CLRTC_EN if the jumper is on pin 1 it is set to clear your bios upon rebooting the system, if on pin 3 its set to normal mode. Try checking to see, but more than likely not your case but hey if it works worth the post eh?