1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No Sound after fresh Win 7 Install

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jed, Dec 10, 2012.

1. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    Hey all,

Just got my new rig built up and have been installing/updating and tweaking for the past 24 hours. I just finally was able to jump into Planetside 2 to test it out, to find out there's no sound. When windows makes a sound, it comes out for some reason. There's no sound in Youtube or a game though. This is 7 Pro x64...

My Realtek manager test shows my center, sub and front L/R all as working when I play the sound test. I can hear the tone out of them... Then when I go to game or watch a vid, nothing. Matrix mode also disables my center and sub speakers when usually it enables all 5.1.

It's running straight from my brand new MoBo, no sound card. My speaks are set and activated and default as the audio device. All the newest Windows updates are installed. Latest Win 7 Realtek driver is installed. Nothing is muted.

This happens often everytime I rebuild a system with these speakers. They are Logitech 5.1. Or maybe it's Realtek's fault. Or my fault. Anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Thanks!
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  2. Bo$$

Bo$$

Thanks Received:
    Sounds dumb but did you set the audio device as default?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it's enabled and set as default.

Driver install did nothing. Another thing to add is turning on the "Matrix" mode on my speaks currently disables the center and subwoofer (in the Realtek test). Usually it enables all 5.1 speakers.
  4. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    Just installed more updates and also Win 7 SP 1 and still nothing. I get the bootup pretty twinkling sounds coming from my speaks but then nothing from Youtube or games... Speakers respond through Realtek Speaker Test thing.
  5. Bo$$

Bo$$

Thanks Received:
    Thats really strange, try uninstalling the generic drivers and redownloading the ones on your mobo website
    jed says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    Okay. I will remove the Realtek HD Audio driver from 6/19/2012 and install the Gigabyte "Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip (Including Microsoft UAA Driver in English edition)" from 10/26/2012 and see where that gets me.
  7. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    Well after that hassle it ended up being the same exact driver anyways. Not really sure what to do here. Maybe I'll remove the RTek driver and see if Windows can just make a generic one.
  8. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    That didn't work. This is getting ridiculous. How hard can some plug and play speakers be to get to work?! With the generic drivers it's now showing speakers as unplugged and a "Digital Audio (S/PDIF) as the default and enabled device..........................

If this means anything, the 3 plugs for the end of the speakers make scratching/static noises come from the speakers if they touch the metal of the computer case. What does that mean?
  9. Bo$$

Bo$$

Thanks Received:
    It's a strange problem. Try removing all the drivers in Safe mode
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    Could this be a hardware issue with the new MoBo? I can't imagine it would be, since they are getting some semblance of detection when I test them w/ RTek manager.
  11. Bo$$

Bo$$

Thanks Received:
    i doubt it, can you make it so you use generic drivers rather than the realtek ones? they might be causing a driver conflict
    jed says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    I have always had issues with sound and drivers. On my windows 7 desktop, sometimes it takes up to 5 minutes for the sound configuration to come up.

I sometimes have this issue, and when I do I find out that it is something small, since there are so many points of failure. Between that and the fact that sometimes for some reason my sound had to be toggled off and back on, could make for an hour of trying to get the sound to work.

Have you tried anything other than planetside 2? Music perhaps? You did say that the windows sound was doing okay.
    jed says thanks.
  13. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yes try something else first and foremost. Even a Flash game with sound in your browser would suffice though another real DX game would be ideal...
    jed says thanks.
  14. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    Tried Youtube, iTunes, BF3, PSide2... All to no avail. I got a Youtube video to work randomly once for a few seconds then it stopped.

Bo$$ - I just tried the automatic Windows generic drivers that install (that's what you mean right?) while the RTek one was uninstalled. They used some sort of "digital" device and I have no idea what that is. No sound from the speakers from that one.

PS - Windows sounds are now not working either.
  15. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    Deleted all Audio drivers in safe mode... They automatically reinstalled and I am still getting no sound. I clicked the red X on the sound icon and after a few seconds it came up with this:

After driver removal and auto-driver installation:
    Playing audio:
    Issues:
    One or more audio service isnt running NOT FIXED
    Check audio device DETECTED
    Hardware changes might not have been detected DETECTED

Issues found:
    One or more audio services isn't running
    Both Windows Audio and Windows Audio End Point Builder services must be running for audio to work correctly. At least one of these isn't running.

This is sad.
  16. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    RTek driver reinstalled and still nothing. Disabled the driver, got a red X saying no speakers are attached. Enabled it, said speakers are attached and at 100% volume. I honestly am running out of ideas here.

I just plugged in some headphones to the line in port... RTek picked them up and said you have plugged something in. No sound coming through them either.

Should also be noted... I had two simple speakers hooked up at my Dad's house right after the fresh build and they seemed to work fine. What the hell is going on?

When playing a Youtube vid and watching the Windows "Sound" box that shows all the devices, "Speakers" are moving up and down with green as if the sound is registering and playing perfectly... It's just that nothing is coming out.....................
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  17. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm Have you tried under the sound applet a test of the windows startup sound whiles fully in windows? Sounds like the driver loads while booting the kicks out. Are there any hardware conflicts under device manager? Also is there anything muting the sound after full boot? What happens when you unplug the speakers while booted and plug them back in? Does the applet pop up that asked how you want to setup the speakers? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to help if I can.
    jed says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Are you working on the rig in tour specs? Download drivers and HD app from the motherboard manufacture web site

And it shows a triangle in the device manager?
    jed says thanks.
  19. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    Mad - The sounds are no longer even coming in before windows boots/during the startup. No sound whatsoever. No conflicts in device manager. I'm not seeing anything muting the sound; checking all the volumes and they aren't muted. If I unplug a speak, RTek pops up and says I unplugged something. Upon re-plugging, it pops up and I specify what I plugged in and hit okay. Thanks, keep them coming.

Jet - Yes. Already DL'd and installed audio driver from MoBo website. It's currently installed. What's HD App? And I don't see any triangles in the device manager.
  20. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    If there are no yellow triangles in the device manage then
    its not your driver
  21. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    There are no yeller triangles. Although I wish there was... At least we'd know the issue.
  22. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Banstick Dummy

Thanks Received:
    Do you have it pluged into the right port?
  23. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    yeah, and do you have the integrated sound enabled in the BIOS.
    jed says thanks.
  24. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Banstick Dummy

Thanks Received:
    Also right click the volume icon in the bar below and check the levels in the "Open Volume Mixer"
    jed says thanks.
  25. jed

jed

Thanks Received:
    Good news for now... I put them in the "wrong" ports and now I'm at least getting sound, although less quality than my prior MoBo.

MailMan - They were plugged in the proper "center/sub, front, side/rear" ports at first. Then I moved them into the mic/in/out jacks and started to get some sound. It seems of shoddy quality though... All levels in volume mixer are 100%.

Mx - Should it be on or off? I'll check.