1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No Surround Sound In Vista

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Wingo101, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Wingo101

Wingo101

Thanks Received:
    I recently upgraded from XP to Vista Ultimate 64bit, and I only get 2.1ch sound output in my games & music.

If I do the sound test in vista, all the speakers work. I have changed all settings to 5.1ch.

If I play music through Power DVD I get sound from all the speakers, but not from Winamp & Media Player.

I have the latest drivers (v2.23) for my Razer AC-1 Sound Card. I am using Creative Inspire T6060 5.1ch speakers.

Any help will be much appreciated!
  2. aharvey

aharvey New Member

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps specific settings withing Media player and winamp? they could be set for playback through hedphones, which would only give you 2 channels. try looking at what your defaults for playback are within your two programs which are giving you trouble.
  3. JoshBrunelle

Thanks Received:
    Most mp3s are really stereo tracks, with audio included in only 2 channels. To get surround from that, the same channels are duplicated, so it's not real surround anyway. There should be some surround mode options available, it may be named 6-speaker stereo (or virtual surround), which does just as I described. The Razor software may also offer this option.
  4. Darren

Darren New Member

Thanks Received:

Your wasting your Razer AC-1 sound card if you're not using speakers via SPDIF as you can't enable the Dolby Digital Live and DTS interactive feature unless you use digital coaxial or fibre optical cable. But to answer you're question to give surround on those speakers you'll have to enable Prologic IIx feature or DTS Neo:pC feature within the Oxygen HD configuration panel and you should get sound through all speakers.
  5. Wingo101

Wingo101

Thanks Received:

All settings are set to 5.1ch.

I'm also having trouble with my games.
  6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    what everyone else is saying. sounds like you have digital audio setup, which is only going to give you 2.0 channel audio unless a track is pre-encoded in dolby digital or DTS - which is why your movies are giving you 5.1

digital audio HAS TO BE ENCODED for surround sound.
    That is why people buy auzentech and xonar cards with real time encoding features.

if you're just running analogue, and the above is irrelevant then its most likely that your applications dont support surround sound. If the windows test is working it means the OS, your soundcard and your speakers are fine... its only the apps and games that arent.
  7. Wingo101

Wingo101

Thanks Received:

Sorry forgot to mention, I'm also using Razer Barracuda HP-1 headphones, which are running in HD-DAI.

As for the Prologic IIx & DTS, I can't enable them both at the same time and if I enable them individually, it doesn't change a thing.
  8. Wingo101

Wingo101

Thanks Received:
    Do you think my problem will be solved if I buy a card with real time encoding? Will my games also have surround sound?
  9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    you cant enable DTS and pro logic at hte same time, DTS is an encoding technique to get surround sound over digital connections, and pro logic is a false method of upmixing (it more or less gets a stereo signal and spreads it to all speakers. it 'surrounds' you, but its not positional for games or movies)

please explain this HD-DAI. I have never used baraccuda headphones.

edit: as to your next question: assuming your sound output (speakers usually) has a decoder that supports dolby digital or DTS decoding, buying a card with encoding will allow you digital audio with surround sound.

You can always go back to an analogue signal for 5.1 if thats all you want.
  10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    just to summarise it, here is a nice post for you.

Analogue audio:
    if it has 5.1 source, you get 5.1 output. 2.0 sources (MP3 and such) will require software that does upmixing, or the use of dolby pro logic to 'fake' surround sound.

Digital:
    sounds better, less cables used.
    Digital is locked to 2.0 audio unless you have an encoded source AND a decoder on the speakers.
    THat means DVD movies and such will be in 5.1, but without an encoder card no games will ever play in 5.1 (as they arent encoded digitally)
  11. Wingo101

Wingo101

Thanks Received:
    HD-DAI stands for 'High Definition-Dedicated Audio Interface'. It's how the Razer Headphones connect to the Razer Card.
  12. Wingo101

Wingo101

Thanks Received:

My surround sound worked perfectly in XP. Is there any way to fix this?
  13. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    what i listed up there is OS independant. If you claim you had surround sound from say, an MP3... you were wrong. something was upmixing it. MP3's (and WMA) are only 2 channel and will never play in 5.1 natively.
  14. Wingo101

Wingo101

Thanks Received:

What about my games?
  15. Wingo101

Wingo101

Thanks Received:
    Is there any way I can get my games (ie. Crysis, COD4, Bioshock) to work with 5.1ch in Vista? They are working perfectly in XP.
  16. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:
    What games are you playing?
  17. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:
    That was quick. lol Have you set up 5.1 in crysis?
  18. Wingo101

Wingo101

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I have.
  19. Wingo101

Wingo101

Thanks Received:
    I don't have 5.1ch sound in any game, from CS Source - NFS Pro Street.
  20. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try this. Assuming You set it up in vista, Try plugging speaker wires in the "wrong" ports to your sound card. This actually worked for me once, although I can't remember if it was for when I upgraded to vista64. Sorry, I'm not going to tear my computer apart to find out.:p
  21. Wingo101

Wingo101

Thanks Received:
    I just tried swapping front & surround output cables & sound came from surround only. I tried this with my Creative T6060 as my Barracuda headset connects via HD-DAI.
  22. Wingo101

Wingo101

Thanks Received:
    If it helps, I tried uninstalling & physically removing my sound card in order to enable my onboard sound. I downloaded the latest Vista 64 drivers from realtek for my mobo (Asus P5K), when I installed them the surround sound didn't work either.
  23. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:
    With vista, did you get any errors loading power dvd? I did. I deleted power dvd. Can't remember if that was causing sound issues though. It was a conflict with vista 64. Also, have you tried getting rid of all headphone settings?

Edit: Go to quick links at the top of this thread and enter all system specs so we can better help you.;)
  24. Wingo101

Wingo101

Thanks Received:

I didn't get any errors with power dvd yet, how do I get rid of all my headphone settings?
  25. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is there an option in vista, power dvd, media player or sound card software where you checked a box for headphone use or something? Anything like that? Try uninstalling power dvd. I do remember that was a headache when I upgraded to vista64.