1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No TRIM support SSD for OS

Discussion in 'Storage' started by suraswami, Jan 7, 2013.

1. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Recently bought 2 of those DELL/Samsung 50GB SSDs from Microcenter. Wanted to image an existing system and restore to the SSD.

I used CrystalDisk info tool to check the features supported by the SSD and found it doesn't support TRIM.

Have seen few reviews about the benefits of TRIM.

So if I anyway install the OS, how bad of impact will it be considering I will be going from IDE HDD to this SSD.

Is there manual TRIM commands/Utilities that will be useful?

I tried the Samsung Magician tool and it says non-samsung SSD (may be because of DELL branding?)

:toast:
  2. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    I think hdparm can do this for you
    suraswami says thanks.
  3. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Am I missing something because your system specs says your OS drive is a Patriot TorqX SSD.

I would not have bought an SSD so old it does not support TRIM. You can manually clean the disk which would effectively just reset all the unused areas to 0 if there was data on there. This would have to be done whenever the disk slows down due to use. This is annoying.

Personally I say take those back, get your money and buy a decent 120 GB or large SSD from Microcenter or newegg.com or whatever. They are not that expensive any more and many can be found for less than $1 a GB.
    suraswami says thanks.
  4. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    This is for the family machine. Yeah I can do like you said, but for some reason I feel like SSD prices are going back up and HDD prices are coming down.

Anyway I wanted to upgrade 2 machines (not my main machine tho) and this one was $35 each and thought perfect for OS. I don't mind running manually some tool to get back the performance (slight annoyance but should be ok).
  5. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtX™

Thanks Received:
    The better deal would be OCZ Agility 3 60GB
  6. TheLaughingMan

TheLaughingMan

Thanks Received:
    Than you should be good to go. If these are for "normal" people you can just put in a second standard HDD and re-route the My personal files folder to it, and never have to worry about it.

And SSD prices are never going back up.
  7. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    how much, where?