1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No video signal? Graphics card giving up?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Seeknay25, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Seeknay25 New Member

Thanks Received:
    alright so I got my new power supply and graphics card and after a while of putting a huge graphics card and psu in my minitower I tried everything and it didnt work. I turned it on and after about 3 mins the screen went blank and said no video signal, but everything else was still running fine. I restart and only got about 1 min. And then 45 seconds. Then I let it sit for half hour nad got 2 mins out of it. SO i put in my old graphics and make sure i fully uninstalll it, and i did. Try it again, samme thing. So idk. My psu obviously works because I'm using my old graphics card atm. And when I took out the new one it was VERy hot. I had to let it cool for little before i could remove it. Im guessing that the graphics card gets too hot and just shuts down? I would like to try as many solutions at once o I dont have to keep taking it in and out just to test one little thing. Any help/tips is helpful. :)

psu= PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W
    grpahics card = VisionTek 900244 Radeon HD 4870

ok when I put my old card in it was fine for about 4 hours now it seems to restart between 5 mins and a couple hours. So i thought that maybe some cords r in the fans way, so i shoved all the cards in hard drive slots and hopefully my old graphics card will stop reseting. I also get a blue screen sometimes but its only for 2 seconds and its when my computer is starting up It restarts and i have to shut it down and wait like 10 mins b4 starting up again. After playing with the cords it hasnt happened but idk if this is related to my other problem.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  2. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Definately not a power issue. I had something like this happen when I tried to run a 2900xt with my monitor. I thought it might be a heat issue, but it ended up being a problem with my monitor firmware. That particular monitor did not like the 2900xt for some reason, and there were several other people who had the same problem. Do you have another monitor you could try with the card?
  3. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    try reseating your gpu cooler o and is there any overclocks on your card or did u flash it other then that all i can see is to rma if u can
  4. Seeknay25 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok when I put my old card in it was fine for about 4 hours now it seems to restart between 5 mins and a couple hours. So i thought that maybe some cords r in the fans way, so i shoved all the cards in hard drive slots and hopefully my old graphics card will stop reseting. I also get a blue screen sometimes but its only for 2 seconds and its when my computer is starting up It restarts and i have to shut it down and wait like 10 mins b4 starting up again. After playing with the cords it hasnt happened but idk if this is related to my other problem.

If i HAD to i guess but kinda a last resort

um...what? I'm jus learning little bits here and there about this stuff, so simplify pl0x. And how would I go about reseting my gpu cooler.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  5. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You should really switch out your monitors to rule out stuff. I think Dr. meant to try reseating your graphics CARD.
  6. Seeknay25 New Member

Thanks Received:
    But if i try to do anyhting with my new graphics card I dont know if ill have enough time because i usually only get 30 seconds on my desktop, if im lucky and if it doesnt work i have to wait another half hour.
  7. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just a shot in the dark, is the six pin plugged into the card?
  8. Seeknay25 New Member

Thanks Received:
    both the 6pin plugs were connnected. But one thing i meant to ask, do i use the 6pin connectors that came with the graphics card or would it be fine i just used the pcie6pin plugs that were with the psu. I used the psu ones.
  9. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You're right using the PSU ones, the ones that came with the card are for if you don't have enough 6-pin connections for the card you have.
    Seeknay25 says thanks.
  10. Seeknay25 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wel playing around with the cords and moving them out of the way made it so my computer does freak out with my old graphics card. I wanna put it to the test but the only thing i can try atm is a new monitor. Id like to try more than just that, so i don't have reassemble everything if thats not my problem.

ya that was what i thought
  11. Seeknay25 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just to save me from finding another monitor. If I can use the monitor for a couple mins and then it shuts down then its clearly not the monitor? I could understand if the monitor never works but it does work for a little. Could the monitor still be the problem?=\