1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

no Vista optimization guide?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by hat, Jan 24, 2009.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    We don't have a Vista optomization guide here at TPU?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. LittleLizard

LittleLizard New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think we dont altough there is one at pcstats.com
  3. thraxed Guest

to many version of vista for optimization i think really to have a guide is pointless, now I find myself into optimization programs instead, beats hunting threw the register just to change a 0 or 1, or browsing through 100 some policies. Though if your like me I would highly recommend http://www.yamicsoft.com/vistamanager/ its a must have for vista.
  4. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    after messing with vista for so long, i realised it was just best to leave it alone. Everytime i see someone reporting issues and problems, upon asking they always ran one of these tweak guides at some point.
  6. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Yeah the only things I've done so far is disabled UAC and the security center because they piss me off. I really don't care about the rest. I used to really be into tweaking and shaving memory usage off but now I hae 8gb so... whatever, Vista can be as fat as it wants. Suprisingly enough it's only using 1.15GB right now with WMP open, STALKER installing, and IE going... I though Vista ate half your available memory for Superfetch or something? Or maybe I just havn't had it on long enough for it to learn what I do with my PC for superfetch to get big and fat like it's supposed to?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I'm the same since i got 4gb ram,i dont really care how much it uses,i put more ram in so windows has more available,so why cry when it actually uses it.
  8. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I run Vista Ultimate with only 2GB on one of my PC's and it aint that bad.

So with 8GB I cant see you having any trouble..like Tigger said why not let it use what you have installed.You could use the blackviper guide to turn off some services if you wish but only if you really want to tweak it.
  9. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I really like the services chart there, really well setup compared to the normal lists.
  10. spearman914

spearman914 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did every possible tweak that speeds up vista, lots of registry, editing etc and performance is either minimal increase, lots of errors, or just slower. BTW Vista is already optimized at it's best.
  11. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    That's something I have to agree with you on Spearman. No matter what you do with Vista, it all depends on how your system is.. If your set up good, it doesn't take any time to boot, or work right for ya.. 20s from boot up with what I have. Even with the hdd almost at full, still was around 20-30s and it booted to internet access...

The tweaks and stuff is a nice thing to do, I had lawls when I installed them all.. But to me, it's just not worth it... Vista is good now with what it has.. Only problem I ever had was when I was trying to use it with a system no where near what Vista requires... lol
    spearman914 says thanks.
  12. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I disable Windows Search, Security Center, UAC, and System Restore. They all just aggravate me. Other than that, I leave it alone, and I dont get errors by disabling those 4 either, so all is well.
  13. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received: