1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Noctua NH-U12P CPU Heatsink

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by t_ski, Jan 29, 2008.

1. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
    JrRacinFan says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    Reminds me of the Thermalright coolers... Could it be that one manufacture builds these units and Thermalright and Noctua are selling them?

Same with the Ocz vendetta and the sigmatek.
  3. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Although I have seen some cases where that seems very likely (Sunbeam and Arctic Cooling, or Zaward and Xigmatek), I do not believe that is the case with Noctua.

By the way, I made and error in the review. The optional Socket 939 mounting kit is available for free upon request, but the Xeon kit is available at a small price. The error has been corrected.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hm the mounting system of the fan is definitly thermalright they use this since the si 128.

Watch this:
    [​IMG]

vs:
    [​IMG]

Not the same design but definitly the same cooler.
  5. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I believe they are similar, but I do not think they are made by the same manufacturer. There are too many other differences.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep after a closer look i belive the same. Acutally this is funny so you can buy the cheaper one.

Or you save money for the Ifx-14. This one is the killer at the moment.
  7. craigwhiteside

craigwhiteside New Member

Thanks Received:
    actually they are both built for a slightly different purpose, the thermalright is kind of designed to be for a high cfm fan because of the fins being very close together, while the noctua seems to be used for passive or for a low cfm fan because the fins are wider apart.
  8. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    As always, terrific review t_ski. I was hoping the idle temps would be lower. Of course, it could just be a misinterpret from the thermal diode. Love the dual fans on it, should help lower temps even further.
  9. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I have been in contact with Jakob from Noctua, and he assures me that the NH-U12P is definitely NOT made by Thermalright. I am awaiting his response for an official comment.

In the meantime, I can add this as proof: If you look at how the fins are joined on the Thermalright heatsink you posted above, all Thermalright heatsinks are made that way. Look at the XP-90C and V-1 Ultra reviews here for more examples. I've seen the exact same thing on the HR-03/600 as well. This method is completely different than the method used by Noctua. TBH, other than the fact that these are both 120mm tower-style heatsinks with four staggered, U-shaped heatpipes, I really don't see any other similarities at all.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    They use both the same technic to disapeate heat. Apart from the fins which are set up to use different fans its the same technic.

Of course Noctua managed it to create their own Heatsink but it reminds me off the Sigmatek, the Ocz vendetta and some other coolers which used the Heatpipes in the socket in direct contact to the cpu.
  11. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    The base on the Noctua NH-U12P is made in two parts: a top part and a bottom part. Both parts surround the heatpipes, and the heatpipes do not come in direct contact with the CPU IHS like the Xigmatek or Zaward heatsinks do.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  12. vexen

vexen

Thanks Received:
    hello t_ski, i have the same board as you, would you say you can fit the Noctua sideway? i am having trouble with the NB Heatsink!
  13. Duffman

Duffman New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have this cooler and am very happy with it. I am running with dual NF-P12 fans also. I have my E6850 running at 3.78ghz w/1.45v and have seen similar results. I keep my fans on high via a Zalman fan controller.
  14. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Are you refering to the Asus motherboard in the review, or the DFI motherboard in my signature?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    In response to gR3iF's concern over the similarities between the NH-U12P and the Thermalright heatsink, Jakob at Noctua provided me with the following statement:

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. vexen

vexen

Thanks Received:
    the DFI of course, asus blows :toast:
  17. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I have not installed it on that board yet, but over at XS a couple guys there have the same combo and it works. IDK if it was horizontally or vertically, but part of that will depend on the case. I know that the DFI board has the CPU socket higher up than the Asus board does.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. vexen

vexen

Thanks Received:
    my problem was the NB heatsink :/
  19. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I will try to get you the link to the forum post over at XS I mentioned. Remind me if I forget ;)
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    OK, vexen - I have some information for you. I was able to install the NH-U12P on the DFI X38-T2R motherboard yesterday. If you have enough room above the motherboard for the heatsink to stick out (I think it was less than 1 inch), you should have no problems installing this heatsink vertically. Thanks to Noctua's improved compatibility with this heatsink, the lower fins are still tall enough to go over the base of the stock DFI NB heatsink.

For me, I was not able to install the heatsink vertically because the Lian Li case has fans in the top panel (one was stock, and I added two more). I was able to install it horizontally, but one of the brackets that attaches to the base of the NH-U12P hits the NB heatsink. It is not enough to make it so it won't work, but it just pushes it upward slightly. However, again (due to the Lian Li case) I was only able to install a fan on the bottom of the heatsink.

Anyone with a larger case with more room above the motherboard should not have any trouble.
    vexen says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. vexen

vexen

Thanks Received:
    thank you :)
  22. theGryphon New Member

Thanks Received:
    NH-U12P fit?

Hi,
    I'd like to get one of these heatsinks but I'm not sure if it's gonna fit in my Adamas case. Could anyone confirm if it fits in Adamas or not? The distance from motherboard PCB to side panel is about 163mm. I know the heatsink is 158mm tall but with the CPU, I'm not sure...

Thanks!
  23. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I'm just going to guess that it will not fit, as I think the CPU and socket stick up more than 5mm
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. theGryphon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the answer t_ski!
    I just measured the CPU+socket and it is about 7mm. So it wont fit without some modification. Do you think I can bend the tips of heatpipes a little, I mean how fragile are they? Do you think it would cause serious damage? Maybe I should use a tool to cut a hole on the side panel... Yeah, I want this heatsink that much! :)
  25. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    There's an alternative: the NH-U9B.

It's the NH-U12P little brother and should have almost as much performance in cooling as it's big brother and, because it's a cooler for 92mm fans, it small enough to fit in narrower cases.

I'm hoping for TPU to make a review on NH-U9B too. Found several reviews from outside sources:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=58290