1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Nokia Windows 8 Tablet Concept Art Surfaces

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Mar 16, 2012.

1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Earlier this week, we learned about Nokia working on a Windows 8-driven tablet. Concept art of this tablet (probably designed by well-informed fans), suggests that the tablet, Nokia "Lumia Coffee Tab", is essentially a stretched-out Lumia 800, which is its flagship Windows-driven smartphone that's extensively marketed with the monies it received from Microsoft to go Windows. The tablet features a 10.1-inch screen, and is designed to be competitive with Apple's iPad.

Interestingly, Nokia will have to use Windows 8 ARM, since the tablet reportedly uses a Qualcomm-made processor, and it is reported that Windows 8 ARM could arrive much later than Windows 8 x86. Could this mean Microsoft handing out Nokia exclusive early-access to Windows 8 ARM? Microsoft is evidently desperate to give its mobile versions of Windows a single potent launch-pad manufacturer, and as one of the most competent mobile phone makers, Nokia is the chosen one. Microsoft looks aware that the post-PC future of computing is very real, and approaching fast.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sources: MyNokiaBlog, PCLaunches
  2. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Looks like a huge iPod nano...Can Nokia be more pathetic than that?!
  3. naram-sin

naram-sin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, although there are some resemblances (blue color and a wider black bezel), it is actually based on Lumia 800:
    [​IMG]
  4. Shinshin

Thanks Received:
    I didn't think that stretching the Lumia 800 would be a (nice) design but I must admit that in the 2nd photo it looks good, although it resembles Asus pads.

I also have a sour taste from Win8 on the desktop. I hope a tablet will change my point of view...
  5. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    square size? come on theres none in this world run square display. make it 3:4 or 16:9 ratio that more acceptable
  6. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
  7. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    It looks NOTHING like an iPod Nano, except they have a similar blue coloured Nano. Also not seen one of them there iPad Nano Phones...

Nor does it resemble and iPad any more than any other tablet.

I actually like the look of this tablet, too bad it will likely cost the same as an iPad!!
    Pjokerxp_ says thanks.
  8. function69 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I like it
    Pjokerxp_ says thanks.
  9. Dos101

Dos101

Thanks Received:
    Meh. I'll wait for a x86 tablet so I can, you know, actually USE Windows properly.
  10. xkche

xkche

Thanks Received:
    Me too :toast:

Looks like the N8 too
  11. Riotpump

Riotpump New Member

Thanks Received:
    For a moment thought this was my first tablet. I want more than just a consumption of content device. Guess I'll have to wait on the x86 version as well. Well at least it's a nice start, though why not go with rectangular widescreen resolution?:shadedshu
  12. mk_ln New Member

Thanks Received:
    that was the exact same thought i had when i saw the pics lol
  13. mandis New Member

Thanks Received:
    This was the first thing to cross my mind as well. Also how thick is that thing???? It seems to be about 2 inches thick at the centre! So it either doubles as a school bag or its battery will be large enough to power a small town in Finland. WTF?? :eek:

Nokia seems to be the new RIM...