1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

noob home networking question

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Easy Rhino, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    ive done a little research on this topic but havnt come up with anything solid yet. this is probably real simple. i have a d-link wireless n router/gateway/firewall that hasnt been performing wireless functions very well. this is a problem because my two PCs are in a different room running wireless to it. i cant move the d-link because it is in the same room the cable connection comes into and there is no way to run the cable to the room i want without doing major wall hacking. so i want to hard-line the two PCs to a separate router/gateway/firewall (a trendnet) and have that router/gateway/firewall hard-lined to the first d-link. get the picture? so on the d-link, which is the main gateway i want to setup a routing table to the trendnet right? and i want to disable DHCP on the trendnet? all PCs, even tho on separate gateway/router/firewalls must be able to see eachother on the intranet. please help!

2. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have yet to try a router to a router. The trendnet will connect from its upling port to a switchport on the dlink. I believe it automatically does NAT translation. So i believe you can let both devices do their own dhcp leasing. Unless the dhcp packets will go through the trendnet to it's connected devices.

The default gateway is where traffic to go to get out. Should you set the gateway as the trendnet you will create a routing loop. So set the gateway of the dlink to your modem. And set the gateway of your trendnet to your dlink.

3. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    yea i just switched the trendnet to bridge mode and it works fine.

4. nepenthe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Providing I understand you correctly;
    I would leave your DLINK setup as it was to begin with, then just turn off DHCP on all the other routers your attaching. In doing such you've essentially turned them into switches. You need not make any other configurations to the other routers nor the DLINK. Just make sure you're not plugging the computers into the WAN ports on the Trendnets. The only WAN port in use should be by the DLINK connecting to your modem. The DLINK runs the show the rest just pass the word along to those connected.

5. Easy Rhino

Thanks Received:
    yea that is essentially what bridge mode does. it works fine now.