1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Noob Question...

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Taylor, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Taylor New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been trying to find out alittle about OC'ing this old system to get more out of it. Looks as though I cant OC my processor, but I have downloaded ATI tool, and it seems I may be able to OC my ATI X1600 PRO AGP 512 MB card. Still not sure how yet, but my first problem is heat. It's running hot at Idle so I am looking into cooling it before I start OC'ing the card. I can place another case fan to move more air, but I am looking into card coolers. Any good suggestions? I have looked at two online so far..
    Arctic Cooling ATI VGA Silencer 1 ( rev.2)
    Zalman VF700-CU Copper VGA Card Cooler.
    I dont think Iwant to go to water since this old system will only be around another year before I go custom built. any suggestions on a cooling unit?

2. randomperson21

randomperson21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the VF700 ALCU on my 7900gt, couldn't be happier. went from 50C idle, 70C load to 40C idle, 55C load.

I haven't tried the Silencer (because its an ati thingy) but i hear they're good.

The Zalman VF900 is also great. but the problem with the zalmans is that they exhaust hot air back into your case, whereas the silencer exhausts it out the back (i think). So if you get the zalman, you will have to modify your case cooling to push out the hot air.

3. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Arctic Cooling ATI VGA Silencer 1 ( rev.2).. is the better one.. it will cure your heat problem for definite.. and help your case cooling at the same time..

trog

4. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    ati cooling it will drop the pemps a lot plus all the excess air gets pumped out the rear of the case to help the case temps

5. Taylor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the replies.... guess I'll look into the ATI card, but the exhaust isnt going to be a factor I think, I already have plans for a case fan, I already have one at the back, and the power supply has one, and the CPU has one mounted directly over its heat sink, so.. I was thinking of adding a high volume 80MM or 120 in the side of the case blowing into the case at the card. The two others, ( the exhaust fan, and the power fan) both blow out of the case so I think this will be good air flow through the case. Should be able to drop the temps alittle I hope. right now, with no case on the system, ( trying to keep it air cooled as much as I can ) at idle, the GPU is at around 62C. Any cooling will help. Thanks all, once I get the temps down, I'll be asking more about colcking this thing up alittle. Just have to see if I have the room to move stuff around so I can mount the cooling unit.
    Taylor

6. Terenth New Member

Thanks Received:
    ohh trust me bud, the ati silencer IS HUGE!!!, i have an HIS x800gto with iceQ, basically ati silencer with HIS stickers on it, WOW it works though, but it takes up im not kidding you, 4 F(**&^ING slots !!!&!*&&!^*!!!!, because of the backplate it extends taking up a slot behind it (if you have one) the slot for the grfx card, the slot for the fan/heatsink, and ONE MORE SLOT if you have a pci card that is long enough because the center of the fan extends outward too, i realized this was going to be a problem, seeing as how i want a crossfire setup, EVEN THOUGH there is a SPACE between my pcie slots the thing is STILL INTERFEARING with the MASTER CARD!!! WTF!...... so i proceed to take my 20$ ati silencer that i mistakingly bought, ripped out the fan and somehow managed to bust out just the fan blad and motor on a 80mm fan and mount it in there, its loud as hell but it will werk now, beware, awsome cooling comes with a price, it went from taking up 2 slots to 4 slots.... :] but luckily im handy with tools.

7. Taylor New Member

Thanks Received:
    WOW. I dont have 4 slots available for this. I'm going to have to figure something out. Thanks for the heads up.:rolleyes:

8. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    it aint no bigger than the stock 1900xt type silencer which also takes up two slots.. all good coolers take up two slots.. and crossfire can be a problem on some mobos space wise..

and whether u have good case cooling or not things are helped by pumping 80 watts of card heat out the back instead of into the case..

noise is a big factor here.. if u love lots of fans and dont mind the noise.. where the card heat goes dont matter a wotsit.. just load your case up with a million fans and go for it.. he he

trog

9. Taylor New Member

Thanks Received:
    My stock card (X1600 Pro ) doesnt take up two slots. I can move one card and have two slots available, but thats about it, I'll get one and check it out. Thanks all.

10. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    an x1600 pro dosnt have a good cooler.. all the more powerfull cards need a dual slot cooler thow.. the extra size is needed to get rid of the extra heat..

noise plays a part here as well.. the more powerfull single slot designs tend to be noisy.. small high speed fans that whine like hell..

trog

11. Taylor New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah.. I can see the noise getting on my nerves after awhile. I have two slots I can use for the card and a cooler. If it has to be noisy, then I may have to live with it. I'll have to see whats what. Thanks...

12. ChrisO New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an x1600Pro AGP with 256MB (just for the record) I wonder if you bought an Arctic Cooling ATI VGA Silencer 1 ( rev.2) for your x1600Pro, 'cause I want to buy one myself, but I can't find any information anywhere that this cooler will fit on an x1600(pro) card. does it fit?

13. Taylor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you, no, I havent bought the cooler yet, but from what I've found, it will fit, but take up a second slot in your system. Right now, my X1600 only takes up one. Thats not a problem, and is going to be needed. I get good clocking on the core and alittle better clocking on the memory if I keep the heat down. I am still looking for help trying get into the cards BIOS so I can see if I can permenently turn the fans to 100% full time like you can do in ATI tool. ATI tool isnt showing artifacts until the card is pushed really far, so... the cooler is on its way.... but, I've decided to start the project of building a system from scratch so.... I'll be looking for help on everything concerning that. ( Mobo, processors, etc...) I am thinking I will stay with ATI though, it seems in almost all my 3D apps, ( modeling, animation etc..) they're drivers are always much more stable. With my Nvidia system, I am constantly having to revert back to older drivers for performance issues. Good luck on your X1600, off to find out the best moBo ...!
    ATI X1600 PRO 512 MB
    700W
    4Gig RAM