1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Noob questions about Flashing my GIGABYTE Radeon HD3870 512MB GDDR4 with RBE 1.17

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by moskwiz, Oct 27, 2008.

1. moskwiz

moskwiz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi!

First off, I'm a total noob so please bare with me.

I am thinking of flashing my above mentioned card with a BIOS that only has custom fan speed settings (I would cutsomize the default BIOS myself). I don't want to start fiddling with the clocks or voltage values since I don't really understand any of that stuff.. I just want to get rid of that stupid error the card's stock BIOS has which prevents the card's fan from increasing speed as temperature rises. My card has the stock cooler on it.
    So for the questions:

1) If I only alter the fan-speeds in the new BIOS, what are the chances of my card having driver compatibility issues in the future?

2) If I only alter the fan-speeds in the new BIOS, will my card be overclockable in CCC?

3) Is there maybe an ATI approved BIOS that already has the fan-speed error (and maybe the 862Mhz overclock error) fixed?

4) Would it be wiser to go the extra mile and just buy an aftermarket cooler (such as a TT DuOrb or a Zalm. VF1000) to achieve a s olution for the fan speed error?
    - Do the above mentioned aftermarket coolers have automatic fan-speed control based on heat? Would their fans connect to my motherboard, not my Graphics card?

---
    No more questions atm, tho I'm sure more will rise.. Please feel free to move this thread if it's posted in the wrong sub-forum. Oh and sorry for any inconvenience I might have caused to the admin's due to my ignorant noobness :D

Thank you in advance =)

moskwiz.
  2. DMF New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your last question tells me you haven't read the RBE Tutorial. Read it first, then ask questions.
  3. moskwiz

moskwiz New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have read the RBE tutorial. And the 4th question (at least the lower part of it) is only about those two coolers - the duorb and the vf1000.. I just wanted to know wether their fan control is automatic, or controlled by a physical controller, or motherboard controlled.

:wtf:
  4. moskwiz

moskwiz New Member

Thanks Received:
    So noone canhelp me with this? :confused:
  5. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Use RivaTuner instead for fan speed controlling. Here's a pic to show you where to get once installed.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Enable Low Level fan settings. I recommend using a fixed value. Check the box for "apply at startup". Then click "Apply" on lower left.

Also make sure your settings tab is like mine.
    [​IMG]
  6. moskwiz

moskwiz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks JrRacinFan.. but I already have tried that solution and it's rather annoying to have my cooler at a high level fan speed all the time.. 3870 stock is one loud sob

Right now I'm using the CCC profile editor method (comes with RBE 1.17). I have it setup in the way that when CCC overdrive is disabled, the card runs at stock clocks and fan duty at 27% (default), but when I enable overdrive, the clocks will get automatically increased (from 777/1126 to 830/1196) and (thanks to the profile editor) fan speed will jump to a desired speed (in my case, 80%)..

Would flashing my card or getting a different cooler still be the only way to get my card to increase fan speed corresponsive to temperature?

Why hasn't ATI/Gigabyte fixed the buggy BIOS themselves and posted it somewhere :confused:

Anyway thx for your reply
  7. My89SHO

My89SHO New Member

Thanks Received:
    Download and run RivaTuner 2.11 from GURU3D.com and only adjust the fan tool if you want to controll the fan. If you have any questions feel free to ask. As far as bios modding I don't know if you want to go that way or you can use Rivatuner to overclock your card.