1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

noob raid+ ssd question

Discussion in 'Storage' started by catnipkiller, Feb 4, 2011.

1. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    can i run my 750x2 raid0 with my new ssd 128 gig or would it be better just to run say ssd and 750s for storage only? any help would be great. p.s. i dont have a raid card yet.:respect:
  2. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    you cannot use the two 750s and the SSD in a single RAID array.
    You'd have to keep your current RAID array as it is and add the SSD separately.
  3. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    all i want is speed and storage for other games/programs can i boot from the ssd and keep the raid0 for storage? iv only done raid0 so i know nothing about raid lol.
  4. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sure. You can use the SSD as the OS drive and the RAID0 for storage.
    How big is the SSD? Nevermind just saw it is a 128GB.
    You can put the OS and anything you want to be screaming fast on the SSD and use the RAID0 for all else.
    catnipkiller says thanks.
  5. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:
    yes you can, go into the bios and select raid mode > install windows with all drivers > go back and add your drives and enter your raid config pre boot settings > raid 0 the two 750's > get into windows and format the drives.

Although if your using it for storage i would strongly recommend running a raid 1 instead of 0 unless you have a secondary backup like acronis on an external drive
  6. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was going to say the exact same thing. It makes sense to run RAID 0 only for non-important data when speed is more important. For storage, go for RAID 1, or pick up a few more of those 750GB disks and go for RAID 5 (read about RAID modes on wiki for better understanding).

I used RAID 0 on my main desktop, but I keep all my docs in my dropbox (constant backup), and all movies/songs/media on a 2TB external unit.
  7. catnipkiller

catnipkiller

Thanks Received:
    i have i 1 tb external and a 500 i keep all my real files on there i'm a sucker for speed/safe storage all my games are in my steam folder witch i cant back up anyways.