1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Northbridge cooling solutions.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Meow9000, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Meow9000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Apart from changing the stock HS, which would be difficult due to the board layout and stacked-fin heatpipe that covers most the components.

Also i do not have much room to work with as the CPU cooler somewhat covers the NB by about an inch and the GPU is also about 2 inchs away. Though i would like to avoid dropping it to the lower 16x slot as the PSU block the air intake abit.

So hit me with any ideas, and thanks in advance.

2. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    um....your only option for northbridge cooling solutions besides stock is stock+buying a fan. if you don't want to replace the stock hsf then yea lol ur sol

3. Meow9000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not what i was really looking for to be honest. im sure theres someone who has modded something to work. Theres nothing to clamp or tie a fan down too, If i could i would :)

4. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    take a screw and screw the fan to the sink between 2 fins, it won't hurt your heatsink and if it were to hurt performance(it doesn't did it to my AC freezer pro 7) the fan would make up for it. only option without removing stock cooling.

5. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    to be honest the mobos heatpipe coolers are more "show" than "go". I always remove them and replace them with proper copper coolers (I like the enzotech ones) with a bit of AS silver epoxy.
    [​IMG]

6. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    MKmods says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    its the BloodRage GTI Im using in my Qpack mod.

Here is a shot of the original heatpipe cooler
    [​IMG]

they are pretty much useless. They use different plates sandwiched together, they paint alum to make it look copper, and they smash the tubes to make it look cool but it wold impede the transfer of heat just like on the silly Saphire toxic coolers (poorly made)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
    Meow9000 and p_o_s_pc say thanks.
  8. Meow9000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I like your idea there and might be worth the effort. Problem is i cant seem to find any sites, tried all the usual UK ones OcUk, Ebuyer etc and they have such a small selection its depressing.

Best i can find is a Xigmatek porter N881. But avoiding spending money would be helpful.

But before i spend anything, i think i will take it all off, apply some MX-2 and re-seat. maybe the old TIM has died.

9. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    I used to use the Thermalright hr-05's. And they work the best (but are very bulky and need good airflow)

Its fine to be cheap (god knows I am) but quality isant free.

You just need to pick your priorities